Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Engineering Project 2010/2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Saggateron wrote: »
    personally I think its a good idea but you'll need to make it super lightweight, with very fast engine and a large propeller try

http://www.rapidonline.com/

for electronic components or have a look at this photo

http://jalopnik.com/5479379/conquer-the-snowpocalypse-with-a-propeller+powered-sled

good look

Thanks for the reply. This years project seems to be very specific and there is not much room for variation. Most people seem to be going for the obvious choice - tracks. A design like the one I proposed would be original and, as a mechanical engineering graduate, I believe that the design is fairly plausible. As you said it would need to be light to reduce inertia and suitable materials would have to be used to reduce friction (although the viscosity of snow/water is not too high).
    A problem that I can see arising from a propeller propulsion is the control of the snowmobile. This would not be as accurate as a snowmobile with tracks.:( Another issue could be the Center of Gravity and balance which might need to be addressed if there is a large fan weighing the snowmobile down at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Saggateron

I know what you mean about fiction with the snow being low compared to lets say a work bench but I was considering putting ver small wheels in the skis for the purpose of making it work on the table remember it is a model we are building.

As for steering you could build a tail fin, then connect it to the steering column (that your front ski is controlled by) via guide wires that way you are still using a front steering mechanism.

I agree completely about the weight/centre of gravity issues with you

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cullenman

Hey lads, check this out !!!!!! http://sites.google.com/site/gobanengineeringnotes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cullenman wrote: »
    That site's excellent for theory notes thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Fantastic site! Thanks for that Cullenman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 deanmaher

Any intresting sites to help me with my portfolio?

same site - click exam brief guidelines

Can the entire project be done on computer or are hand sketches necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Aw, wish my school did engineering! FFS!

You need to show your thought processes. All you need to sketch is the other two solutions that you were considering but rejected. There is no need to draw these out in detail. All other drawings can be done in Solidworks if you want.

• Advertisement

You need to show your thought processes. All you need to sketch is the other two solutions that you were considering but rejected. There is no need to draw these out in detail. All other drawings can be done in Solidworks if you want.
    Can they be developments and changes of the same general design? I've got three but it's more like my first solution being a barebones primitive design with the second one being a bit more developed and the third being a final design?

How are you getting on with your projects? I've got just about 30 pages done on my brief and i've got all of my parts roughly cut to size and now just need to shape, finish and assemble. I'm estimating a finish date around the last week of February if I don't face any complications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

What do you mean exactly by thought processes?

you must explain why you chose one design over the others. What was wrong with the others? Why is your chosen one the best solution? Let examiner know what you are thinking when you make the decision.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas for the tracks yet how to make them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SevenCarPileUp

for the tracks, our teacher is ordering a batch of rubber caterpillar tracks. these exact ones I believe: http://www.rapidonline.com/Educational-Products/Systems-Control/Cams-Gears-Pulleys/Caterpillar-track/10589/kw/rubber+track How else are you supposed to make one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

for the tracks, our teacher is ordering a batch of rubber caterpillar tracks. these exact ones I believe: http://www.rapidonline.com/Educational-Products/Systems-Control/Cams-Gears-Pulleys/Caterpillar-track/10589/kw/rubber+track How else are you supposed to make one?
    Yeah our teacher has ordered these one's too. I think they are a bit too long though...

Is that 180mm length total length when stretched out or length like it is in the picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loverboy

0987654321 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas for the tracks yet how to make them?

well our teacher got tracks for everyone from some crowd in cork..maybe yours will do the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 deebz

just wondering does anyone no what happens to the deadline if you broke an arm?i broke my good arm there yesterday!!:mad:

deebz wrote: »
    just wondering does anyone no what happens to the deadline if you broke an arm?i broke my good arm there yesterday!!:mad:

How long you out of action for? The deadline is rarely enforced strictly if thats any good to ya it carries on for ages.

• Advertisement

loverboy wrote: »
    well our teacher got tracks for everyone from some crowd in cork..maybe yours will do the same :)

Any chance do you know what crowd it was exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loverboy

No sori..ask your teacher..im sure he/she will get ye some from somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Miko Metals is the name of the crowd we're getting them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

I wouldn't worry about the size of the tracks as they are long enough. I got them last week. they can easily be made shorter by cutting with a sarp blade and supper glued back togeater. Also you can add a tension wheel with a slot adustment to tighten the track to the ideal tension.

decdon wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about the size of the tracks as they are long enough. I got them last week. they can easily be made shorter by cutting with a sarp blade and supper glued back togeater. Also you can add a tension wheel with a slot adustment to tighten the track to the ideal tension.

What do you mean by tension wheel and slot adjustment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

decdon wrote: »
    Is this what u meant by a tension wheel?
    http://patpruitt.ganoksin.com/blogs/files/2009/01/img_9830.jpg
    Btw anyone else has any other ideas for the rear propultion mechanism?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Is this what u meant by a tension wheel?
    http://patpruitt.ganoksin.com/blogs/files/2009/01/img_9830.jpg
    Btw anyone else has any other ideas for the rear propultion mechanism?
    yep thats it.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVl7J5cicIg5TJyyWhXNtmwBD6wSywZaDuT5_rIq7kSU1kxKGyBQ
    anything with the same idea would work....!!

Here's a possible idea for tracks: http://woodgears.ca/tracked_vehicle/index.html

Here's a possible idea for tracks: http://woodgears.ca/tracked_vehicle/index.html
    Wood on snow? A very poor idea to be honest. For an all terrain vehicle like a snowmobile the tracks need to be a lot more robust.

• Advertisement

I know that but any blocky material would do the trick. Would be painstaking to make as well but would be good if pulled off successfully

Advertisement