Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best stuff in Dublin

Options
  • 19-10-2010 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I've just moved back to Dublin (not from here originally, but did go to college here). The place has changed a fair bit in the last few years...

I was wondering what people's favourite things or places in Dublin are. Am I missing anything secret and brilliant?

It'd be nice to hear what ye just plain old like about the city too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Which Dublin? :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I've just moved back to Dublin (not from here originally, but did go to college here). The place has changed a fair bit in the last few years...

I was wondering what people's favourite things or places in Dublin are. Am I missing anything secret and brilliant?

It'd be nice to hear what ye just plain old like about the city too.

If you hang around Ballinteer, there's two dudes who moon passing cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Morrisseys quiff

Dublin, Ohio...

The capital city of Ireland - The Big Shmoke, about halfway up the east coast there. You might have spotted it at some point.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    If you hang around Ballinteer, there's two dudes who moon passing cars.

Ah, the local flavour. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Whatever you do don't go for a pint in Sosumi....it aint the place you left behind :eek:

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't go for a pint in Sosumi....it aint the place you left behind :eek:

Yeah, I saw a big buff American guy walk past it once. Biker type. He said "Oh, hey, The DRAGON, cool!"

I so very hope he went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

I still enjoy a quiet afternoon pint in the Library Bar any time I am back

Ellian wrote: »
    I still enjoy a quiet afternoon pint in the Library Bar any time I am back

Lovely spot indeed!

Anything else great about the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Sunday/Saturday afternoon walk in the Phoenix Park, especially in Autumn. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Murphy's in Temple Bar does this amazing brown bread ice cream. It sounds mank but it's actually DELICIOUS. Murphy's ice cream in general is fab, and they'll let you test it before you buy so you know what you're getting is nice.

George's St arcade - go while it's still open, sadly a few stalls have closed up there recently.

Burritos 'n' Blues on the corner of Wexford St do seriously fab food.

The Natural History museum re-opened after their staircase collapsed (did it collapse?) and is still pretty fun, and around the corner from one of the branches of the National Museum on Kildare St.

The Lombard on Pearse St opposite the DART has table quizzes down to an ART and since it's next to Trinity they often run them.

Also Chapters on Parnell St. Oh Chapters. Banba dreams of being you.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Firstly, excellent username ;)

Secondly, it depends on what is is that you're into. The wine cellar/bar downstairs in Fallon & Byrne (just off George's Street) is great for a few glasses of wine and the interior is very interesting - vintage posters for films and and some instances (I presume, empty) wine barrells are used as tables. All still very sophisticated though.

The Secret Book and Record Store (also a bit off George's Street) is great for browsing, there's a huge selection and the prices aren't too bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

A lovely hidden gem is the Cake Cafe behind Camden St.

You enter a stationery store called 'Daintree something or other' on Camden St., walk through the shop, and there's a doorway at the back which leads into a little garden, which has a lovely little cafe in it.

And the cakes are scrumptious.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

Really depends on what you're into, and coming into the winter months is not the best time for most of my favourite things about the place, as I am of the opinion that Dublin, when its warm and the sun is out, is just about the best place on this planet. The other unfortunate thing is, many of those favourite things involve consuming alcohol in outdoors spaces (the seats outside The Bull and Castle, Grogan's, The Pavillion in Trinity.)

I was actually thinking about creating a list but most things would involve eating and drinking. Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I recently returned to Dublin after a ten year stint in Australia and was amazed at how much had changed around my old neck of the woods (particularly Dundrum/Sandyford) in the intervening years.

Although I was pleasantly surprised that quite a few places hadn't changed such as Grogans or The Stags Head (for a lovely pint and sandwich during the day) or The Blue Light which I still rate even though it is hardly a hidden gem anymore.

So in my quest to uncover some of the secret and brilliant places the ol' town has to offer I found myself in establishments such as The Patriots in Kilmainham, The Grave Diggers in Glasnevin and The Abbey Tavern in Howth.

Of course Dublin is not all about drinking. Such places can top off a really nice day exploring the local area or facilitate a conversation with some random local you just happen to become engaged in conversation with.

Aussies don't seem to understand such culture so these places are a rare treat until I head back down under where beer does flow and men chunder ;)
    Pookah wrote: »
    A lovely hidden gem is the Cake Cafe behind Camden St...
    Will have to check that one out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Pookah wrote: »
    A lovely hidden gem is the Cake Cafe behind Camden St.

You enter a stationery store called 'Daintree something or other' on Camden St., walk through the shop, and there's a doorway at the back which leads into a little garden, which has a lovely little cafe in it.

And the cakes are scrumptious.

I've always wondered about the constant stream of women entering that place as they couldn't all be shopping for wedding invitations. Never knew that there was a cafe at the back.

Advertisement