Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrconnell 10 Year-Old Madeira Finish Single Malt

Options
  • 19-10-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading about this in jim murrays 2011 bible.

It seems there's two reviews for this.

One sounds like it would be really up my street and one not so much.

Is there a way to tell which bottle is which? or was it maybe a typo misprint?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

well there is a madeira finish and a port finish, would be strange to have 2 conflicting reviews...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

ntlbell wrote: »
    I was reading about this in jim murrays 2011 bible.

It seems there's two reviews for this.

One sounds like it would be really up my street and one not so much.

Is there a way to tell which bottle is which? or was it maybe a typo misprint?

There will be a code etched on the bottle starting with L. The number after that is the year. Just learned this the other day. Anyway, the earlier one is the one he prefers. It first appeared in 2007, so look for the L7 bottlings.

By the way, I think this got the highest mark ever (not sure about this) at tastings.com. 98 pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

adrian522 wrote: »
    well there is a madeira finish and a port finish, would be strange to have 2 conflicting reviews...

Yea, I understand that but this is two reviews for the maderia there is seperate ones for the port etc

Brockagh wrote: »
    There will be a code etched on the bottle starting with L. The number after that is the year. Just learned this the other day. Anyway, the earlier one is the one he prefers. It first appeared in 2007, so look for the L7 bottlings.

By the way, I think this got the highest mark ever (not sure about this) at tastings.com. 98 pts.

Excellent ta, I can all ready forsee getting funny looks in the off license asking for the bottle codes :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yea, I understand that but this is two reviews for the maderia there is seperate ones for the port etc

Ok, strange alright,

I tasted both and much preferred the maderia but never purchased either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

There's actually 3 in this group a Madeira a Port and a Sherry finish.

By far the Madeira is the best for me and a wonderful whiskey. Even though the port finish is well regarded by alot of people. The sherry is too thin for my liking as I'm usually used to a fully sherry matured whiskey.

He had only one review of each in the 2010 book so possibly the L1 version is not as good (in his mind) than the L7 version.

Remember these tasting are very subjective and I'd give them very little creedence if you have never tasted the whiskey before.

Anybody can taste the same whiskey in different ways depending on when you tasted (Morning, noon, night), state of mind(After work in the office, after work in the garden, down the pub or at home) and form (happy, sad etc) So many variables it is impossibly to give an objective tasting.

The L7 (2007) version was really a very good whiskey however it took a while for it to catch on so there may not be an L8 (2008) version but I would imagine there is a L9 (2009) version. Check the book again and see if he has any of these codes listed. Curiously 2010 will be L1 and not necessairly L10

These codes can vary in appearence usually about 3mm in height and can be printed in black near the base of a bottle but can also be laser/etched/imprinted (notsure which) onto the glass so sometimes hard to see. Can also appear on the base of side of a back label.

Codes can be varing charachters long but alway the L* is the Year.

In Cooley's case I have a few

Connemara CS From 2002 L2061
    Ballydoyle ..... From 2004 L40922108
    Grand Crew ... From 2009 L912A
    Knappogue .... From 2009 L9 003 345

Where the bottle code normally is for this particular bottle it just has DB no code before it.

the other is l8136

Where the bottle code normally is for this particular bottle it just has DB no code before it.

the other is l8136

I'm sure it's there somewhere as I say it is sometimes hard to find.

They can be all over the place really but the usual place is near the base.

I've found them on the neck on the breast ... sideways down the side of the bottle :rolleyes: So yes you may come across strange to the staff if you are seriously examining the bottle :p

But l8136 I'd imagine is 2008 L8. So there you go they released some in 2008 thanks for that as I never knew. I'd say go for that as the chances of you geting a L7 would probably be slim as it was the first batch and fairy small and the 2008 should be similar.

I'm sure it's there somewhere as I say it is sometimes hard to find.

They can be all over the place really but the usual place is near the base.

I've found them on the neck on the breast ... sideways down the side of the bottle :rolleyes: So yes you may come across strange to the staff if you are seriously examining the bottle :p

But l8136 I'd imagine is 2008 L8. So there you go they released some in 2008 thanks for that as I never knew. I'd say go for that as the chances of you geting a L7 would probably be slim as it was the first batch and fairy small and the 2008 should be similar.

Sorry, I meant in the bible itself there's no code for the bottle he reviewd where he prints the code int he book it just states DB sorry :o

Do you know if you can mail places like the whiskey exchnage etc and ask for bottle codes on the bottles they're selling?

Sorry, I meant in the bible itself there's no code for the bottle he reviewd where he prints the code int he book it just states DB sorry :o

Do you know if you can mail places like the whiskey exchnage etc and ask for bottle codes on the bottles they're selling?

Ahh with you now ... I think on reflection the original review is for the 2006 which was the first release.

DB means Distillery Bottle as opposed to IB which is Independent Bottler. i.e. the original distillers has put the whiskey out under it's own Brand.

More of a scotch thing as they have a shed load of Independent bottlers that bottle whisk(e)y's from various distilleries.

Well if your worried about the L8 go for an L9 or an L1 :D

I bought a fwe bottles from the 2006 batch of which they were only in batches of circa 300 bottles each. I have not bought any since but we did have a tasting in 2009 and it was still good so what code the bottle was I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement