Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting over gloss

• 19-10-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

just painted our wooden back gate a gloss black and it looks terrible, what would be the best paint to go over the gloss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dubdad

did u paint straight onto the wood with gloss paint or did you prime/undercoat it first?

gloss doesnt take well to raw wood as it is actually quite a thin coat.
    if so rub it down with sandpaper and give it a couple of coats of undercoat with a gentle rub between coats, when dry ,with some very fine sandpaper.
    finish with gloss, i find about three coats is good for an outside job, do the job well and you can get 7-10 years before it needs more paint, depending how exposed the gate is.

if it was just gloss on gloss and u dont like the black, then more gloss, colour of your choice, but u still will need a couple a coats to totally hide the colour underneath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Painted over old paint but i dont think the old paint was gloss and it just has to much of a shine on the finish.
    Would i be able to paint like a dull black matte paint over what i have done?
    thanks for replys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Yes you can . Only problem is most of the companies no longer produce an oil based black satin finish (all water based). Way around this is to buy 1 l undercoat and 250ml black gloss and mix them together).

Sand down your gate and apply 2 coats of the paint.

Yes you can . Only problem is most of the companies no longer produce an oil based black satin finish (all water based). Way around this is to buy 1 l undercoat and 250ml black gloss and mix them together).

Sand down your gate and apply 2 coats of the paint.

does it definitely have to be sanded because its a very big gate with lots of spindles. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

It is best to lightly sand it. Use the sanding pads (medium) they are great for doing spindles and mouldings etc. Better get 500 ml of each paint too.

• Advertisement

il give it a go, hope it takes shine off.
    Thanks

Advertisement