Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If i had hair id pull it out.223 load issue.

Options
  • 19-10-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi guys new to the forum. Now im usre you all know already this question as been asked on numerous occassions. Im new to reloading around 6 months now, and am trying different loads, ie powder bullet heads etc etc. I have a tikka t3 lite.223 in 1:8 twist and up until last night i was taking out foxes at an average 180 yards, and this was with a light load, 55g speer HP to be precise. Changed my powder and bullet head to a 60gr v-max and the results were not very good to say the least, missed everything. Does this happen?.... So, what reliable data "load" do any off you use with info i have given. I will be using H322,which was the powder i loaded with to try out, H335 OR H380 will be used as well, depending on bulled weight, i also use Lapua cases and was using standard rem 7 1/2 primers, going to change to CCI Magnum, is this a wise choice? . Sorry for going on a bit, but really confused why shots went to hell last night, scope wasn't knocked stored same night after 1st success, oh and i will add this, the rifle got a pull through with the boresnake the folowing day, which i think might have contributed to the end result. All advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Contributors from outside Republic of Ireland will have to answer this query because reloading is not 'allowed' in the Republic at the moment:D

I note you are in the North, count your blessings that you can do it legally, we can't............yet ;)

Unless some of our pilot reloading participants are posting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

mayfly36 wrote: »
    Hi guys new to the forum. Now im usre you all know already this question as been asked on numerous occassions. Im new to reloading around 6 months now, and am trying different loads, ie powder bullet heads etc etc. I have a tikka t3 lite.223 in 1:8 twist and up until last night i was taking out foxes at an average 180 yards, and this was with a light load, 55g speer HP to be precise. Changed my powder and bullet head to a 60gr v-max and the results were not very good to say the least, missed everything. Does this happen?.... So, what reliable data "load" do any off you use with info i have given. I will be using H322,which was the powder i loaded with to try out, H335 OR H380 will be used as well, depending on bulled weight, i also use Lapua cases and was using standard rem 7 1/2 primers, going to change to CCI Magnum, is this a wise choice? . Sorry for going on a bit, but really confused why shots went to hell last night, scope wasn't knocked stored same night after 1st success, oh and i will add this, the rifle got a pull through with the boresnake the folowing day, which i think might have contributed to the end result. All advice welcome.

tac here, a reloader in UK and USA. My first question is - If you were getting good results, why change anything? You, on the other paw, have changed everything! :=)

1. Your 1 in 8 barrel should be shooting even up to and including an 80gr bullet accurately - faster twists = heavier bullets.

2. Do NOT use magnum primers in a .223. They are designed for the newer short magnum high capacity cases like the .300WSM, NOT the comparatively small capacity cases like the .223.

3. Do you have access to a chronograph?

4. Do you fully re-size and trim your cases? Many Tikkas over here are very sensitive to OAL in this calibre. From personal experience what shoots well in a Remington will often not even load in a Tikka.

Unless you load the Boresnake with a handful of aquarium sand, using it as intended will clean the bore, not destroy it.

tac

Unless some of our pilot reloading participants are posting here?

Dear Mr Bunny shooter, you might care to explain that one to the [many] folks here for whom it is news....

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mayfly36

Hi tac, no access to chornograph mate. Will stick to rem 7 1/2 primers. Your right, twist well capable off heavier grain, was really a 1st trial for me starting with 55gr, only have rifle 6 months, took on board a lot off advise from other users. But im definitly progressing onto the higher end and stick to it. I will be using 75g A-MAX next.

Mayfly - here is something to get you on the right track -

Bullet Weight35-50gr50-60gr60-70gr70-80grRecommended PowdersH335, N133, RL10XAA 2015, Benchmark, H335, H4895, TACAA 2520, N540, VargetVarget, Reloader 15, N140, N550

Primers The .223 Remington uses a Small Rifle primer. In a bolt gun you'll get good results from all the major brands: CCI, Federal, Remington, Winchester. The Rem 7 1/2s work very well with both stick and ball powders. Benchresters have shown a bias towards the Federal 205M (match), but in our informal testing, the CCI BR4s shot just as well as the Federals, while the CCIs delivered lower ES/SD with some powders. In fact, we've found that the "plain Jane" CCI 400s were closely matched with the much more expensive BR4s. Both can deliver good accuracy with low ES and SD. Some primers do seem to work better with particular powder/bullet combinations, so it's wise to do your own testing, and you may want to test CCI 400s vs. CCI BR4s head to head. You may find that the cheaper CCI 400s work just as well as the pricey BR4s in your gun. .

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

tac foley wrote: »
    Dear Mr Bunny shooter, you might care to explain that one to the [many] folks here for whom it is news....
    He's referring to those in the Midlands who are members of the pilot programme there to allow reloading for the creedmoor cup match. They're the only people in the Republic who are currently DoJ-approved to reload.

No reason N.Ireland shooters and our guests from other shores can't comment as you've done above though tac, knowledge is no burden.

Mayfly - here is a page from the Vihtavuori data...

.223Remington.jpg

Sparks wrote: »
    He's referring to those in the Midlands who are members of the pilot programme there to allow reloading for the creedmoor cup match. They're the only people in the Republic who are currently DoJ-approved to reload.

It would be great to think that one day EVERYBODY who wanted to carry out this fun and rewarding [and vitally important] part of our pastime would be able to do it.

My $0.02.

tac, reloader since 1968

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It would be great to think that one day EVERYBODY who wanted to carry out this fun and rewarding [and vitally important] part of our pastime would be able to do it.

My $0.02.

tac, reloader since 1968
    Your 2c has joined a few hundred thousand in the pot.
    Most serious shooters would like to reload or be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, that's the whole point of the pilot programme...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Your 2c has joined a few hundred thousand in the pot.
    Most serious shooters would like to reload or be able to.

Four reloading books on my shelf, and a chronograph in the shooting "pile". All gathering dust at the moment.

Advertisement