Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish folklore,superstitions and ghost stories

Options
  • 19-10-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

J ust wondering if any of ye know where i can get books or dvd covering this topic.
    I would love to get as many stories about old wives tales and superstitions,ghost stories piseogs and so on.
    we used to hear all these old tales about banshees,goblins,ghosts,good and bad luck omens etc from our grandparents and parents but these are dying out because of modern ways of entertainment.
    any help out
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

mythology forum might get you some answers <----

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

i work in a museum of irish folklore and mythology. The old stories are definitely making a comeback. Padraig Farrell had some good books.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I would like to see a thread here for people to submit various stories and old superstitions,it would make interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

6th wrote: »
    i work in a museum of irish folklore and mythology. The old stories are definitely making a comeback. Padraig Farrell had some good books.

Museum of folklore? where is it. i want to go to there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Museum of folklore? where is it. i want to go to there :)

http://www.leprechaunmuseum.ie/

• Advertisement

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You dont have to be short to work there, but it helps. ;)

I would like to see a thread here for people to submit various stories and old superstitions,it would make interesting reading.
    OP, ghosty stories do belong here, but really the Mythology forum would be a goldmine for the type of thing you are looking for. We deal with inexplicable happenings and things that go bump in the night here, rather thank folk tales (though there is some overlap). So your thread would be better placed there, than here, as we already have a ghost experiences thread.

:(

Why the sad face? It's a museum of folklore and mythology.

Why the sad face? It's a museum of folklore and mythology.

is it? i admit i haven't been there. I just read bits about it when it first opened. I just lament the condensing of irish mythology into the leprechaun, the poxiest creature in our mythology.

I first thought that it was a tourist trap, maybe im wrong, it could be my own prejudices influced by my hatred of o'carrols but the website didnt really explain what goes on there beyond creating the world of the leprechaun.

can you tell me a bit about the place. im really sorry if i come accross badly here

No you dont come across badly but a VERY small part of it would be looking at how the modern twee version of the leprechaun has come about and tracing it back to examples such as the 8th century story "Saga of Fergus mac Léti". Its a museum with a strong emphasis on story telling. With me having the interests I have its not starnge to end up talking about folk traditions, death omens and ghost stories. We're actually having a special event for Samhain - http://www.leprechaunmuseum.ie/latest-happenings/hallowe-en-samhain-evening-event-on-october-28/

• Advertisement
Advertisement