Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for a first guitar

• 19-10-2010 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Thinking of getting a guitar for myself, don't know a lot about them but have always wanted to try it out.

Any recommendations on good cheap guitars, or other advice from experience.

Or good places to buy from. Books to learn from as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

First of all depends whether you want an electric or an acoustic. Probably acoustic if you're just starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Al Roberts

First of all depends whether you want an electric or an acoustic. Probably acoustic if you're just starting?

Yeh sorry forgot to mention, yep it would be acoustic, I was looking at this one.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-guitar-cutaway-new-black-/170554542026?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27b5d7c7ca#ht_500wt_1122

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Al Roberts wrote: »

Expensive firewood maybe?

For an entry level Acoustic Guitar I'd be looking in the €100-150 range.
    I'd also visit a music shop and try out a few, take a guitarist mate along with you for a trusted opinion.

Strings.ie wrote: »
    Expensive firewood maybe?

For an entry level Acoustic Guitar I'd be looking in the €100-150 range.
    I'd also visit a music shop and try out a few, take a guitarist mate along with you for a trusted opinion.

I wouldn't be looking to spend that much for a beginner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

the reality is that's a cheap beginners guitar. anything cheaper than that belongs in a skip or firewood as said before. if somebody starts out on a horrid guitar like the one you linked, it'll be much harder to learn, and it won't be anywhere near as enjoyable.

just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement

I might just stick to the decks so lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

As stetyrrell said, trying to learn on a Guitar that doesn't even stay in tune wouldn't be the best place to start. If you really are on a budget maybe look for a second hand Guitar :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Don't touch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

http://www.adverts.ie/304313/guitar-and-bass/beautiful-sounding-yamaha-acoustic-for-sale-reduced/

very nice guitar. one of my mates used to own one, until he dropped it and headstock fell off

the one you linked to will sound bad, will be hard to learn on and will probably me more painful to learn on

Thanks for the advice lads, I think I'll look into after Christmas when I have a bit more money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jazzme

Try to start with steel string acoustic guitars. Dont start of with nylon strings because you might find it sounding odd when you strum especially when your a beginner. I dont recommend buying one online. Shop around music shops, ask the shop keeper to adjust the action for you (most of them cant). Check if the guitar if the right size for you place it on you lap while stiing down, does the holding the neck feel comfortable. Buy a standard clip on tuner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Dont touch this squire. Go for a yamaha f310. Along with everything yamaha makes. GREAT GREAT beginners instruments(and there top line stuff is also fantastic, its there middle range stuff thats kinda meh).

Or else have a gawk at some corts. There not my cuppa tea to play(feel wise) but they sound great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....also must be able to stay in tune easily and when knocked about. Some cheap models lose their tuning easily and can frustrate players by needing constant retuning.

A high action will cause problems with playability and speed when trying to play smoothly but can be handy for inceased volume.

Check the fingerboard is finished properly for comfort.

A person with large hands will need a large fingerboard with a long scale length while a smaller person with small hands may need to get 3/4 size guitar in some cases.

This is why it is best to try them out in a shop with a knowledgable sales team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Patricide wrote: »
    Dont touch this squire. Go for a yamaha f310. Along with everything yamaha makes. GREAT GREAT beginners instruments(and there top line stuff is also fantastic, its there middle range stuff thats kinda meh).

Or else have a gawk at some corts. There not my cuppa tea to play(feel wise) but they sound great.

+1 for The Yamaha f310, really nice for its price. I own one and its really served me well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i bought a crafter d7n (recommendd by small local music shop)

dont regret it a few years later

Advertisement