Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Print shops in dublin offering colour profiles?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for any pro print shops that offer colour profiles in Dublin

Anyone any suggestions ?

Thanks

Seb
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

any of the heavy hitter should send you out some if you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

any of the heavy hitter should send you out some if you ask

like?
    have you any experience with them

I found out conns do but I would not consider them heavy hitters :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

tbh i've not, i have heard woeful stories off final year students from fire among others so looking about at the moment for somewhere better. steve at 360dpi, i'd say he would

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Have you talked to Inspirational Arts? Supposed to be very good..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Yea as Sinead said, give Jim @ Inspirational Art a line and he should be able to sort you out. Seen some of his prints and they work very hard on their images!

• Advertisement

kjt wrote: »
    Yea as Sinead said, give Jim @ Inspirational Art a line and he should be able to sort you out. Seen some of his prints and they work very hard on their images!

great thanks for that

Oh if anyone else has any other suggestions please fire them across.

kjt wrote: »

i'm actually going on a 'class trip' there tomorrow, weird, clearly some sort of marketing plan with my college. tho last year fire made cack of alot of peoples stuff... will be interesting to see the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

There's one in Clondalkin, right on the Clondalkin-side edge of the Park West business park. I can't remember the name of it.
    If Conn's does it.. they're probably cheaper.. and probably more in the "pro-sumer" league. These guys in Clondalkin only do printing as far as I know. (although.. not having seen output from both them and Conn's, I really can't say their output is better.)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭qpd

Sounds like you're referring to www.gms.ie
    They are a top notch pro lab, a whole hell of a lot better than conns.
    Naturally enough they charge accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

mele thanks for the recommendations

I printed a few of last years exhibitions things for idat too

• Advertisement

Yes, that's them. Without directly comparing their work against Gunn's though.. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're a hell of a lot better. ;)
    I know my work at the tiny consumer lab I worked in beat the living ****e out of the nearest pro lab's work back when I was in the game myself. (although their slide development was definitely top-rate.. we were a lot better for B&W and C41, and pretty much any prints up to 24" wide)
    qpd wrote: »
    Sounds like you're referring to www.gms.ie
    They are a top notch pro lab, a whole hell of a lot better than conns.
    Naturally enough they charge accordingly.

seb

what is it your looking for, ie the profiles

so you can soft proof?

what your better doing is actually going into one of these places and getting a very small print done, like 10*8 or something

now the only issue with this is some of the places mentioned use different machines for smaller sizes and therefore defeats the purpose

with most of my customers i have found soft proofing more work than its worth really. As soft proofing is an approximation and now generally that accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

stcstc wrote: »
    seb

what is it your looking for, ie the profiles

so you can soft proof?

what your better doing is actually going into one of these places and getting a very small print done, like 10*8 or something

now the only issue with this is some of the places mentioned use different machines for smaller sizes and therefore defeats the purpose

with most of my customers i have found soft proofing more work than its worth really. As soft proofing is an approximation and now generally that accurate.

+1 on that -you can get all the colour profiles you want, but that doesn't guarantee that your prints will come out perfect... get 3 or 4 soft proofs, take em home and see what's what.

Well a bit of background on the request

I'm working with a photography collective and we're putting on a big show at the end of the year with prints up around the 16x20 (A2) mark

These prints have to be top quality.

Well there you go and thanks to everyone who has sent along suggestions.

There are 1-2 people on here who have the equipment to do prints like that and are nice & generous and might be persuaded to the the work at a reasonable rate.. or supervise the doing of the work by the artists at a reasonable rate. Maybe one of them could even work in a bit of color flow tutoring if he/she has the time. heh heh :)

(I don't remember their names, but 2 people offered to let me use their printers previously to do a small amount of larger work.)

i am one of them heebie

Advertisement