Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

all grants and funds for students are finished this year (maybe)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gbee wrote: »
    Yup, I dunno who was so dumb to allow that to happen. As you say, not much difference.

Like in the year when they introduced free college for all, the reg fees jumped to close to what the fees would have been anyway .... like come off it already, ... but nothing happened about it.

In all fairness- the fees that were charged before the introduction of 'free fees' were only a token gesture towards the actual costs associated with supplying the courses. The colleges all got capitation grants, in a similar manner to the secondary schools etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

arts degrees just got a whole lot more pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm on the fence about this..

I'm in college and paying my own way through college cos I can't get any funding however the majority of my friends get one and they piss it up 2 or more nights a week. It sickens me that I'm funding their drinking but theres not much I could do. They can sponge off whoever (yup thats what they're doing) but then for those who genuinely need a grant to be in college I would think it'd be unfair to take it away in that respect....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ye got it wrong, the government want to double the registration fee to €3000 and cut grants by 7%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

smccarrick wrote: »
    I don't really understand what the issue is here?
    We are going to have to seriously look at our 3rd level sector, with the probability of a full return to fees within the next 2 years. This is aside from the government's appalling financial situation- its a simple fact, fees are being reintroduced in the UK- and the Student's Unions and Careers Guidance counsellors over there are actively advising their students to apply over here instead, if they are not in a position to pay fees.

Fees have been in the UK a while now, they're currently around 3k a year. The proposal now is that the cap be taken off fees, so that universities can charge anything up to 10k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

mink_man wrote: »
    ye got it wrong, the government want to double the registration fee to €3000 and cut grants by 7%.
    source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

I'd like a source for anything/everything claimed in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

prinz wrote: »
    Seriously though, how do you think students in other countries manage it?

In fairness, other countries dont have 13.5% unemployment with even the graduates having to emigrate to find work.

If they bring in a loan system how will graduates pay it off if theres no work for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I'd like a source for anything/everything claimed in this thread

All right then.

http://issuu.com/ditnews/docs/oct_2010_for_issuu

October's DIT News, came out today. Grants aren't gone, but it's going to get tight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Same way as we always did- through hard work and perseverance. Also- people can't afford to be picky- that call centre job, fast food job, supermarket job- may not be where we hope to end up, but its a job, it pays the bills, and it can be a stepping stone towards where we actually want to be.

I think youre over estimating the availability of part time work out there. My gf (phd student) is pulling in about €50 a week and would gladly take anything else going but its simply not enough work to go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If they bring in a loan system how will graduates pay it off if theres no work for them

You pay it off when you do have work... or out of other income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

prinz wrote: »
    Get a job, work for a few years, save up and return to college when you can afford it, armed with maturity and life experience.
    There seems to be a problem with you people. The idea of going to college is to get qualifications to get a job. We dont have any unskilled jobs left :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Here's a story about how things might be in the future, based on my experiences. I'm going to university now, as a mature student, because I didn't get to go straight after school. Why not? Because I lived in a country that had no form of state support for tertiary education at the time. None whatsoever: no maintenance grants or free tuition, or anything like that.

So how did anybody ever go to university at all? Sources of funding for undergraduates were limited to (a) families and (b) corporate bursaries. I had no hope of (a) and only a slim chance of (b). I started an apprenticeship with a large steel factory who provided a limited number of bursaries for study, which actually led to a decent career without my needing to go to university, so I didn't push for a bursary in the end. The bursary wouldn't have covered all costs anyway, just tuition, and I was by myself by the time I turned 18 - no family to help with other costs.

The way bursaries worked was as follows: you received funding for study in a field relevant to the company's needs, and in exchange you agreed to work for them after qualification for a certain number of years. A friend of mine joined the same company and managed to get a bursary from them: he was much more driven than I was ... and his father was a senior manager there, which helped. He studied Electrical Engineering, joined the company after qualification (B.Eng), and worked for them for several years: the stress and workload nearly killed him before he emigrated. (I left after gaining my lower "technician" qualification and working there for a couple of years, and ended up back in the UK working in the PC industry.)

So, how does this picture compare to Ireland? First of all, the idea of apprenticeships: a way of gaining a useful career without going to university. For that to work, you need to have industries: sustainable industries willing to take on apprentices, which is a multi-year process. Ireland doesn't have that, does it? What will young people do if university becomes too expensive? It should be possible to have a life without a degree: university education is not for everyone, not without dumbing it down. These days it seems like you need a degree - any degree - just to be "employable" - that's one reason (not the only reason) why I bit the bullet and started university myself.

Secondly: if Ireland had industries or institutions willing to fund bursaries, you'd probably be guaranteed a job afterward, but they would tell you what to study. If you applied for a bursary from an aviation engineering company, it would be to study mechanical engineering with an emphasis on certain topics. You would not get funding to study Arts unless an Arts-related company (e.g. Sotheby's) couldn't hire already-qualified people. (How's that job segment looking?)

Summary for those of short attention spans: in my opinion, the Irish govt. needs to invest in creating a broader spectrum of industries, and then industries can offer young people careers without the need to have a university degree. If everyone has to have a degree, what happens to the idea of a degree? It becomes devalued and employers can demand one, without it actually being necessary. Thriving industries can, in turn, offer bursary funding for relevant education for suitable students, with job security afterwards. It's not a perfect solution, but the state-support model seems to be encouraging a lot of "ah, right, I dunno what I want, so I'll go to UCD to study Orts, what else is there to do with myself?" :eek:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

lisaface wrote: »
    You lived at home precisely the point, what about the people who don't live at home.

This is what always pissed me off about my fellow course people, the people that lived at home, forget about the world outside mammy & daddy sorting everything for them , be it the weekly shop, or keeping the electricity on, or even those water charges, oh and of course bin charges not to mention RENT, and whatever else had to be paid for.

The worst thing these people said 'oh but I work' and do you give any of that money to your parents? 'no *shocked face*' - feckin' muppets , and they wonder why non living at home people get pissed at them when they throw out the 'but i work AND attend every lecture' stfu!!

oh and sensibleken this doesn't directly apply to you, I was just using your statement as an example :P[/I]

I don't live at home, have two part time jobs, no access to a grant (though comparing my circumstances to others that do I'm pretty sure I should be getting one) and I'm managing to survive with good grades and a social life too and I have only missed one lecture without a valid reason this year (slept in after an all-nighter on an essay, other two were due to a hospital appointment)!

It is possible, too many people just don't want to give up their luxuries

Teutorix wrote: »
    There seems to be a problem with you people. The idea of going to college is to get qualifications to get a job. We dont have any unskilled jobs left :rolleyes:

There are plenty... and there a few professions you can get into straight from secondary level. The recession will pass and there will be jobs going again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Whether we like it or not- 3rd level students are going to have to make a considerable contribution towards their education in future-
    What, you mean like the taxes that higher earners in Ireland pay for their entire lives, which constitute the vast majority of income taxes paid, who not coincidentally mostly have third level qualifications?

Its very simple arithmetic here.

I would agree we need less of a focus on liberal arts stuff though.
    There are 7 children in my family- all of us managed to attend college. We all had to work to pay our way- and no, we didn't get grants etc.
    Take a look through the regional forums, every summer you will see threads about students unable to find part time summer jobs. I mean you have people saying that no Irish person will do "menial" jobs, which is why all of these "menial" jobs are filled, and then turning around and demanding that students do the "menial" jobs to earn their way through college when most of these "menial" jobs are already filled. You can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Sean^DCT4 wrote: »
    get a job.. ?

Thats one incredibily, possibly record breaking, ignorant comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Adam wrote: »
    source?

our students union.

re the "get a job" comments: where? The economy has sunk way below the level at which jobs can be found by "trying harder": you're just beating your head against the wall unless you have years of experience in exactly what an employer wants. next time you're in Tesco or Lidl, have a look around: they're highly efficient operations that employ small numbers of people, and they already have way more applicants than positions.

―Robert Burns

bnt wrote: »
    re the "get a job" comments: where? The economy has sunk way below the level at which jobs can be found by "trying harder": you're just beating your head against the wall unless you have years of experience in exactly what an employer wants....

Was up in the local shopping centre at lunch and three shops were advertising for staff. Obviously depends where in the country you are, but you can't always expect the jobs to come to you either.

• Advertisement

re the "get a job" comments: where? The economy has sunk way below the level at which jobs can be found by "trying harder": you're just beating your head against the wall unless you have years of experience in exactly what an employer wants. next time you're in Tesco or Lidl, have a look around: they're highly efficient operations that employ small numbers of people, and they already have way more applicants than positions.
    Not to mention that getting a third level qualification is hard. Maybe the first years and sometimes second years go out on the tear a lot, but at the end of the day you need your head in the right place and plenty of time to make a proper go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

get a job ya damn long haired punk lazy ass drug smoking hippie kids

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Not to mention that getting a third level qualification is hard. Maybe the first years and sometimes second years go out on the tear a lot, but at the end of the day you need your head in the right place and plenty of time to make a proper go of it.

The standard of what is expected of students here in academic work terms is a joke by comparison to a lot of other developed countries where students are expected to stump up the cash to pay for the privilege. Talk to foreign Erasmus students here and 9 times out of 10 they will be having the easiest semester they've ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

lisaface wrote: »
    Yes, because they're just being handed out like free beer at freshers week, & the graduates w/out jobs at present are marching in November for NO reason what so ever!!!

USI has always had march in November, had them in 1994,95,96 and 97 when I was in college, and after I'd left.

but it's amazing, middle of a downturn, loads of unemployed people, and new graduates surprised that there's no jobs for them.

Summary for those of short attention spans: in my opinion, the Irish govt. needs to invest in creating a broader spectrum of industries, and then industries can offer young people careers without the need to have a university degree.
    Doesn't work, you'll just end up cutting the legs off of blue sky research, and even basic R&D. Research has a very high cost for potentially no benefit, so most for-profit companies don't do much of it, unless they are megacorps like IBM or Intel. This means that your companies will end up permanent second stringers in the competitive global marketplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

The lady talked about in the DIT news letter. WTF. Is that seriously the best example of somebody being put out by the cuts they could find?
    I pay about €500 a month. If I lost my rent assistance I would have to move out and probably end up sharing.

Dear god the poor thing, imagine having to share a house with OTHER PEOPLE! The government are monsters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I dont know a single person who would have been able to go to college if it wasnt for free fees, myself included. When I was in college 90% of the people I met in my first year 1998 did not come from a background where their families could have afforded college for more than 1 child, and 1 at a push.

I wonder if the CSO have produced anything on this. I would imagine that college educated people go on to earn higher wages and thus pay higher tax. It could be a return to fees will leave huge swathes of people out of the tax bracket in the long run.

College graduates in post-industrial economies make more money over a lifetime than non-college graduates. So the 20,000 in loans you have to take out on the front end will be well worth it on the back end. I haven't seen the exact data for Ireland, but in the US, the annual earnings gap between high school and college graduates is $23,000. It would be extremely short-sighted to NOT go to university because of the short-term cost.
    Crasp wrote: »
    6 years of tuition fees + books, rent + bills, food and travel expenses... there is no way that any unskilled job would allow me to earn that amount of money per year and attend college at the same time.

The great irony of the free fees program was that it took place when the labor market was so good that it would have been quite easy for most students to work their way through school.
    "Dear Mr bank manager, i need €60,000 to pay for 6 years of college, and associated rent, travel, food and educational materials. Obviously I'll pay it all back after I qualify. I'll be good for paying it back (in small amounts) in about 6 years time, I swear"

Yes, pretty much.

Loan programs in other countries are flexible enough that if you can't get a job you can defer payments, and if you have a low-paying job, they will adjust repayments accordingly.
    In fairness, other countries dont have 13.5% unemployment with even the graduates having to emigrate to find work.

The youth unemployment rate is 19.1% in the US, and students there pay $10,000/year to go to public university. But loan programs there allow you to defer repayment if you are unemployed, and will reduce your monthly payment if you have a low-income job. They are amazingly flexible - the only catch is you can never, ever write off that debt, even if you declare bankruptcy.

In the long run, college makes such a huge earnings difference for people - especially in post-industrial economies - that it is usually worth it to take out loans. The only catch is that as a rule of thumb, you loan debt should not exceed your expected gross income (more or less). So for most people, it would not make sense to take out $80,000 in loans in order to major in art history. But certainly those going into law or medicine have more leeway to take on educational debt.

College graduates in post-industrial economies make more money over a lifetime than non-college graduates. So the 20,000 in loans you have to take out on the front end will be well worth it on the back end. I haven't seen the exact data for Ireland, but in the US, the annual earnings gap between high school and college graduates is $23,000. It would be extremely short-sighted to NOT go to university because of the short-term cost.
    By the same yardstick the wage disparity means that graduates pay a lot more tax, in fact the vast majority of income taxes. So the government would be extremely short-sighted to NOT provide free third level education, at least for certain skillsets.

Oh please. In comparison to the US where most students have to take out loans or work part time while in school, the Irish undergraduate courseload is extremely lax. And people still whinge.
    By the same yardstick the wage disparity means that graduates pay a lot more tax, in fact the vast majority of income taxes. So the government would be extremely short-sighted to NOT provide free third level education, at least for certain skillsets.

People will still go into high earning professions, whether the government subsidizes education or not. The smart ones will, anyway.

In addition, the government cannot afford to pay third level education for everyone at current tax rates, and even with students paying, the fees do not fully cover the cost of education. It is short-sighted for the government to give out this subsidy, because it is putting the overall stature of its universities at risk; TCD and UCD are the two top internationally ranked schools, and both fell in the rankings last year due to cuts in government funding.

I also think ending free fees would help to get students more focused on what they actually want to do, rather than wasting taxpayer money majoring in in likeyouknowsomething, and then graduating without having a clue about what they did over the last 3-4 years and what they want to do moving forward.

Doesn't work, you'll just end up cutting the legs off of blue sky research, and even basic R&D. Research has a very high cost for potentially no benefit, so most for-profit companies don't do much of it, unless they are megacorps like IBM or Intel. This means that your companies will end up permanent second stringers in the competitive global marketplace.
    "your companies"? I didn't go in to specifics about the numbers or types of companies, I just said "industry". I don't think it's an "either-or" situation: a balanced economy means you have both "blue sky" R&D and manufacturing - or must the fruit of R&D always get outsourced to China?

Or do you really want Irish industry populated by companies that only employ PhDs? By definition, only the best people (should) get them. I get the whole "post-industrial" nature of the world these days - but what do you propose we do with the 50% of people who are below average? Join the Army?

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'm amazed at the 'there are no jobs, what am I to do' attitude not just in this college thread but in countless others. Currently, I am full-time in a restaurant (just finished my MA and worked there p/t during college for funding) and do you know how many young Irish people come in with their CVs during the 40 hours I work? Sweet F.A. and it's in the middle of Dublin city. We also just did a big recruitment drive for the busy season, gave the jobs to the foreign nationals who actually applied. Too many whingers in this country, afraid to be seen wearing an apron or a name badge :eek:

More on topic, the free college fees scheme needs to be subjected to severe means testing in every case. The grant system is totally f*cked up, my mam had a student from Laois living in her house a few years ago, who drove a two year old Range Rover home and back every weekend. Also, I find the number of college dropouts a horrendous waste of money, considering that the tax payer must pick up the bill.

Well, this only leads to a general economic argument about taxation and distribution of resources, which is a bit beyond the scope of this thread, IMHO. If you read my previous (too long) post, you could argue that companies could fund tertiary education directly, without the money being fed through the government. If a company needs Engineers, why should they pay to train Archaeologists that no-one needs?

―Robert Burns

Oh please. In comparison to the US where most students have to take out loans or work part time while in school, the Irish undergraduate courseload is extremely lax. And people still whinge.
    And you have some evidence to substantiate the relative courseloads? I don't mean some course you googled quickly, I mean nationwide statistics.
    People will still go into high earning professions, whether the government subsidizes education or not. The smart ones will, anyway.
    That doesn't address the point, sorry. Third level education is the single best investment any government can make, the returns from a lifetime of index-linked tax paying are huge, and that's just the economic benefit.
    In addition, the government cannot afford to pay third level education for everyone at current tax rates, and even with students paying, the fees do not fully cover the cost of education.
    Third level eucational institutions in Ireland are far from lean, mean educational machines, which is why a few hundred TUI lecturers just got the axe. There's no doubt a lot more cruft that could be looked at.
    It is short-sighted for the government to give out this subsidy, because it is putting the overall stature of its universities at risk; TCD and UCD are the two top internationally ranked schools, and both fell in the rankings last year due to cuts in government funding.
    Your argument is predicated on two things - that the government shouldn't look at the mid term view, twenty years down the road, and that international third level ratings agencies are dependable. Most of them don't even bother to list non English speaking institutions, so I don't really see a basis for your perspective.
    I also think ending free fees would help to get students more focused on what they actually want to do, rather than wasting taxpayer money majoring in in likeyouknowsomething, and then graduating without having a clue about what they did over the last 3-4 years and what they want to do moving forward.
    Basically what you're saying here is that having teenagers with a bit of skin in the game, or tens of thousands of euros in the game, will focus their minds nicely. Nothing like a spot of social darwinism to wean out the weak eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

true, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous to expect an 18 year old to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives, and to make them choose.

"your companies"? I didn't go in to specifics about the numbers or types of companies, I just said "industry". I don't think it's an "either-or" situation: a balanced economy means you have both "blue sky" R&D and manufacturing - or must the fruit of R&D always get outsourced to China?

Or do you really want Irish industry populated by companies that only employ PhDs? By definition, only the best people (should) get them. I get the whole "post-industrial" nature of the world these days - but what do you propose we do with the 50% of people who are below average? Join the Army?
    If you read my previous (too long) post, you could argue that companies could fund tertiary education directly, without the money being fed through the government. If a company needs Engineers, why should they pay to train Archaeologists that no-one needs?
    Corporate sponsored courses are aimed at one thing only - the profits of the corporation, and as quickly as possible. That internet you're typing on was not the product of corporate research.
    Well, this only leads to a general economic argument about taxation and distribution of resources, which is a bit beyond the scope of this thread, IMHO.
    No, its not, its really simple. The overwhelming majority of income taxes and in all probability VAT, CGT, and everything except corporate taxes are paid by the higher earners, who are in the majority third level graduates.

So by providing free third level education, at least for certain skillsets, you pay for your educational costs and you pay for everything else as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not where I study it wouldn't.
    why not?
    Even so, 25hours a week is a luxury I don't have.

you study all day sat and sun and every evening do you?

you study all day sat and sun and every evening do you?
    You have to wonder how many future high taxpayers, who will help pay for the shambles the government has caused today, would fall by the wayside because they weren't carved of wood with a will of iron when they were teenagers. The amount of people willing to stuff the future of the nation into the craw of short term expediency is astonishing.

Don't get me wrong, we don't need the number of liberal arts graduates that we get, but there are other ways to shape that than putting an additional burden on an already difficult process.

And you have some evidence to substantiate the relative courseloads? I don't mean some course you googled quickly, I mean nationwide statistics.

I've worked in universities in both Ireland and the US. The courseloads and expectations for undergraduates at top schools in the US are much MUCH heavier than in top schools in Ireland. Even more so on a graduate level - it's quite shocking, actually.
    That doesn't address the point, sorry. Third level education is the single best investment any government can make, the returns from a lifetime of index-linked tax paying are huge, and that's just the economic benefit.

You seem to think the government's interests are served by investing in individuals. I think they are better served by investing in institutions.

I would argue that the government benefits more from putting money into R&D through its universities rather than directly subsidizing individual students. As a % of GDP, the Irish government spends less than half of what the US does, and a third of what the Finns do. Where do you think this money is better spent: funding basic research through its universities (research projects which usually fund dozens of students, by the way, not to mention the effect on industry), or paying for individuals, many of whom are there because they think they are supposed to be there, not because they know what they want to do or why.
    Third level eucational institutions in Ireland are far from lean, mean educational machines, which is why a few hundred TUI lecturers just got the axe. There's no doubt a lot more cruft that could be looked at.

Based on what I've seen, I don't think that Irish universities necessarily use their resources well, but then again, neither do American universities. Both could stand to cut down on their administrative staff and multiple deans - SIGNIFICANTLY. I think cutting research and teaching staff is foolish though, especially since this negatively impacts students who end up with fewer course choices and larger class sizes.
    Your argument is predicated on two things - that the government shouldn't look at the mid term view, twenty years down the road, and that international third level ratings agencies are dependable. Most of them don't even bother to list non English speaking institutions, so I don't really see a basis for your perspective.

If you are claiming that the rankings are biased towards English-speaking institutions, then Ireland's slide in the rankings is even more problematic.

I will also add, again, based on my time on both sides of the Atlantic, researchers and faculty have far greater resources in the US, in terms of research grants, facilities, etc. (although I think a lot of German institutions are REALLY well funded, and the Chinese are DUMPING money into their universities and letting their researchers run wild).

Basically what you're saying here is that having teenagers with a bit of skin in the game, or tens of thousands of euros in the game, will focus their minds nicely. Nothing like a spot of social darwinism to wean out the weak eh?

Pretty much, yes.

I've worked in universities in both Ireland and the US. The courseloads and expectations for undergraduates at top schools in the US are much MUCH heavier than in top schools in Ireland. Even more so on a graduate level - it's quite shocking, actually.
    So no evidence at all then.
    I would argue that the government benefits more from putting money into R&D through its universities rather than directly subsidizing individual students. As a % of GDP, the Irish government spends less than half of what the US does, and a third of what the Finns do. Where do you think this money is better spent: funding basic research through its universities (research projects which usually fund dozens of students, by the way, not to mention the effect on industry), or paying for individuals, many of whom are there because they think they are supposed to be there, not because they know what they want to do or why.
    Firstly you haven't dealt with the blunt and undeniable taxation figures, which you yourself supported in a roundabout way earlier, and secondly I never said the Irish government was doing research properly, case in point billions went into SFI with an end result of SFA to date.
    Both could stand to cut down on their administrative staff and multiple deans - SIGNIFICANTLY. I think cutting research and teaching staff is foolish though, especially since this negatively impacts students who end up with fewer course choices and larger class sizes.
    Well which is it, do they need to streamline or not?
    If you are claiming that the rankings are biased towards English-speaking institutions, then Ireland's slide in the rankings is even more problematic.
    I'm claiming that any government that expects the nation to exist in twenty years shouldn't put its students at a disadvantage, and that ratings agencies aren't the best guide to much, except what the ratings agencies think.
    I will also add, again, based on my time on both sides of the Atlantic, researchers and faculty have far greater resources in the US, in terms of research grants, facilities, etc. (although I think a lot of German institutions are REALLY well funded, and the Chinese are DUMPING money into their universities and letting their researchers run wild).
    And much of their funding comes from donations from graduates, which is then placed into investment portfolios, currently some of the largest and most successful around, at least if you're talking about the ivy leagues.
    Pretty much, yes.
    How very 19th century.

• Advertisement

So no evidence at all then.

Yes my actual experience working with both undergraduate and graduate programs in both Ireland and the US is "no evidence". :rolleyes:
    Firstly you haven't dealt with the blunt and undeniable taxation figures, which you yourself supported in a roundabout way earlier, and secondly I never said the Irish government was doing research properly, case in point billions went into SFI with an end result of SFA to date.

You are claiming that the government should pay for people to go to college because this in turn will make them high earners, which in turn will generate more revenue for the government through individual taxation.

I am saying two things. First, people are going to go into high-earning fields like law or medicine whether the government pays for them or not, so why would the government pay for it? They can get the tax benefit without paying for the cost of that education. Second, if the overall concern is the long-term well being of the government's finances, then it would be better served investing in R&D, which is good for attracting both financial and human capital - i.e. high-earners from other countries whose educations the governments did not pay a nickel for (a la Google).
    Well which is it, do they need to streamline or not?

What part of "get rid of admin/don't get rid of staff" do you not understand?
    I'm claiming that any government that expects the nation to exist in twenty years shouldn't put its students at a disadvantage, and that ratings agencies aren't the best guide to much, except what the ratings agencies think.

American universities have been at the forefront of innovation for the last 50 years, and it is a pay-to-play system. Proper funding of the universities is far more important that proper funding of the students, because top universities will attract students regardless of the cost. They will also attract the top researcher - which is one of the biggest advantages that American universities have: they skim the cream off of everyone else's system.
    And much of their funding comes from donations from graduates, which is then placed into investment portfolios, currently some of the largest and most successful around, at least if you're talking about the ivy leagues.

So why aren't Irish graduates donating to the universities that they got to attend FOR FREE? How is it that in the US, where people pay to go to school, schools still get very generous contributions from alumni?

Oh, and much of the alumni money in the US goes towards investment in infrastructure, endowed chairs for faculty, and scholarships for students, not just research. People like to have stuff with their names on it. :)
    How very 19th century.

I'd say very 21st century. If a small country like Ireland wants to remain competitive, it better start using its scarce resources wisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Would it be feasible for the government to reduce the number of courses and places available on those courses to reflect job prospects. I think at the moment the number of places on courses is decided based on the demand for those places (could be wrong on that one). If they were to reduce the number of places available to reflect the job prospects wouldn't that then make paying for education a wise investment?

The only issue I can see with this is that it would be seen as harsh when first implemented, but no more harsh than introducing fees or cutting grants.

Corporate sponsored courses are aimed at one thing only - the profits of the corporation, and as quickly as possible. That internet you're typing on was not the product of corporate research.
    Again, you're responding to something I did not write. Did I recommend "no R&D", or taking money away from R&D? Though, now I think of it, I fail to see why the profit motive should never be a factor in tertiary education or its funding, for the same reason it's a factor in R&D. If I was in such a company, and chose to invest in a student, I would expect that investment to pay off, but like R&D, it's a long-term investment that carries some risk and rewards patience. Now think about how to do that in Ireland in the future.

Oh, and by the way: the Internet arose from research by DARPA (and its predecessors) in to reliable military communications in the event of nuclear war. Not sure that's the example to hold up as the model for the future, as opposed to e.g. cellphone networks, which initially came from the profit-driven corporate Bell Labs, where the Transistor was invented. Yes, I know that it (and e.g. Xerox PARC or IBM R&D) took US government money - I have no objection to companies getting paid for their work by the beneficiaries of such work, public or private.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Take out a loan?

Mostg students haven't a hope of getting out a loan at the moment, what are they going to pay it back with?

Mostg students haven't a hope of getting out a loan at the moment, what are they going to pay it back with?

Read my other posts. They're long, but you'll survive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

flas wrote: »
    what is anyone who wants a 3rd level education but is not rolling in money ment to do now?

This is where the Credit Union comes in handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Read my other posts. They're long, but you'll survive.

Unless it was a big retraction of your first post, i'm not really arsed.

I'm sure you'll survive.

Look at it this way: the government has barely a hope of getting more loans at the moment and revenues are still shrinking. What are they supposed to underwrite all of these students with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

In my experience very few people actually deserve the grant. Low and worse off people do.

The vast majority who get grants are rich farmers and people who fiddle their accounts to make it under the cut off point.
    I knew people in college who got grants spent most of their time drinking it, one bought a hifi system, another bought aload of hash, albeit to sell on!!

Whilst i worked a part time job and had a loan just to stay above water. I and none of my siblings got grants.

The grant system imo is a joke, its not been directed at the people who need it most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I have said it before in other posts but this generation is not in touch with reality. I paid my own way through college (DUC 1990-1994) when fees in first year were around IR1,300 and around IR1,900 in fourth year. Paid for books travel etc. Only paid last part of final years a few weeks before graduation.

Average wage in Ireland was around IR15,000 so fees were approx 1/20 of the average wage. Fees today around 1,500e average wage around 36,000e so get working. Btw no minimum wage then. My first job was IR2.00 an hour. I used to work 60 hours weeks all summer and approx 15 hours at weekends during term time. Also paid for rent, food, esb, clothes etc Had labs/lectures of 30 hours (Science) a week.

So get a job!

amen wrote: »
    I have said it before in other posts but this generation is not in touch with reality.
    Average wage in Ireland was around IR15,000 so fees were approx 1/20 of the average wage. Fees today around 1,500e average wage around 36,000e so get working.
    No, the €1,600 is only the "student service fee" + a few more things - while tuition fees are much more depending on the course. Then there's accommodation, food, and other living expenses. I'd like to see e.g. 20,000 DIT, DCU, UCD and TCD students all trying to find jobs in Dublin, all at once. :rolleyes:

I know things have got to change, but this thread was started about a rumour that all funding is going to be pulled soon. That would be a disaster, and I (and others) have been trying to look at ways to make the change more manageable.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
Advertisement