Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roasting whole chicken??

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Afternoon all,

On a bit of an economy drive this week and have a whole chicken which i'm going to raost this evening, i normally put a whole fresh lemon and fresh rosemary in the cavity - however due to the economy drive mentioned earlier i've run out of rosemary.

I do have a lemon and some garlic and am wondering has anyone ever used lemon and garlic in the cavity, was thinking of just popping in a lemon and maybe 3 cloves of garlic. Has anyone tried this before?

And also has anyone any ideas on what to do with the left overs - kinda need to get as many meals out of it as possible!

Please help a very basic cook :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Just go for it... Sure whats the worst that could happen?

There's an amazing recipie I used to have for greek garlic and lemon chicken. If it turns out anything like that you're on a winner :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Make a Garlic and lemon compound butter (just mix the lemon juice and chopped garlic into the butter, simples).
    Use the cut pieces of lemon to stuff the cavity along with one or two whole cloves of garlic.

Push the butter under the skin on the chicken all the way across the breast, use the handle of a spoon to lift the skin off the meat and fill the resulting air pocket with the butter and then just spread it about evenly.
    smear the outside of the skin with a little butter aswell.

then cook as you normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yeah - that should be grand. But have a snoop around your neighbourhood! You'd be surprised what you might find growing. A guy around the corner from us has a HUGE rosemary bush that overflows out onto the path. Which I take as an invite to use if I've run out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Seaneh wrote: »
    Make a Garlic and lemon compound butter (just mix the lemon juice and chopped garlic into the butter, simples).
    Use the cut pieces of lemon to stuff the cavity along with one or two whole cloves of garlic.

Push the butter under the skin on the chicken all the way across the breast, use the handle of a spoon to lift the skin off the meat and fill the resulting air pocket with the butter and then just spread it about evenly.
    smear the outside of the skin with a little butter aswell.

then cook as you normally would.

thats the way i do a chicken.

Depends on how many your feeding for the leftovers, there are only 2 of us, so I could get 3 evenings out of a good size chicken

Roast one evening, curry another and perhaps a chicken and veg, potato/pasta bake on the 3rd evening

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Little Miss!

that's brilliant guys, love the sound of the lemon garlic butter will try that thanks a mil :D

any suggestions for the left overs, it's a medium sized chicken and i'm only feeding myself tonight and with the leftovers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A chicken stew is always good. Lash whatever veg you have in with the carcass and the meat.
    And I chuck in lentils, or even barley. A good 'whatever is in your press' kind of dinner :)

Advertisement