Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spinning

• 19-10-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I had a great workout last night in Winning Solutions training centre. The spin class is specifically aimed at cyclists and triathletes, a great way to keep the form up over the cold and dark winter. Check them out-winningsolutions.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I have been going there as well along with a few people from Orwell. I usually cycle out there which really looks silly but feels pretty good to cycle home easy after the hard 1 hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Whats wrong with turbo sessions?
    (a) they're free
    (b) they're convient
    (c) they're specific to you
    (d) they're relevant
    (e) they're free?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 snocomber

tunney wrote: »
    Whats wrong with turbo sessions?
    (a) they're free
    (b) they're convient
    (c) they're specific to you
    (d) they're relevant
    (e) they're free?

Free they may be BUT the turbo is so boring:) It's amazing what a difference a bit of group energy makes!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil's introducing some of us in North County Dublin to spinning lessons next week.

My plan is to turn up to the first one to give it a go - the second one I suspect I'll just bring the camera, with the intention of sharing the "experience" here;)

Then I think it will be back to the Tacx in the garage for me ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Turbos, rollers, spinning classes I just dont get them, why not winter mtb?
    I'm afraid this is what I think of when I think of spin classes:)

My points for mtb include

1)Its out doors
    2)Its free
    3)Its great for improving cycling skills
    4)Its great for climbing training
    5)Its sooo much fun it should be illegal
    6)It can be done in rain, shine, day or night
    7)Its a full body work out
    8)It will make you a tougher rider allowing you to enjoy cycling no matter the weather conditions
    9)Its got nothing to do with cycling while watching T.V./laptop or some Spin Teacher shouting at you about 'pushing it to the max' or other awesome motivational snippets.
    10)ITS CYCLING
    11)This list could go on all night so I'm stopping now (did I mention how much fun it is)

I rest my case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Getting a turbo myself soon, keeping an eye on the adverts! :) Least you can do your own training and not pay for spinning! :)

snocomber wrote: »
    Free they may be BUT the turbo is so boring:) It's amazing what a difference a bit of group energy makes!

Turbos aren't boring if you get your sets right. Spinning is better than sitting on the sofa eating malteasers though.
    Turbos, rollers, spinning classes I just dont get them, why not winter mtb?
    I'm afraid this is what I think of when I think of spin classes:)

My points for mtb include

1)Its out doors
    2)Its free
    3)Its great for improving cycling skills
    Cool, I'm always wanting to bunny hop in TTs
    4)Its great for climbing training

How?
    5)Its sooo much fun it should be illegal
    6)It can be done in rain, shine, day or night
    Much like riding on the road then.
    7)Its a full body work out
    8)It will make you a tougher rider allowing you to enjoy cycling no matter the weather conditions
    Much like cycling on the road then?
    9)Its got nothing to do with cycling while watching T.V./laptop or some Spin Teacher shouting at you about 'pushing it to the max' or other awesome motivational snippets.
    10)ITS CYCLING
    Emmmmmm
    11)This list could go on all night so I'm stopping now (did I mention how much fun it is)

I rest my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Turbos and spinning are to cycling what treadmills are to running... if thats your bag happy days, but I'll take a forest to cycle through in any weather rather than a turbo in a shed. simples
    The bit about mtbing improving your climbing comes from cycling up mountains btw, winter road cycling bears little resemblance to winter mtb, as for bunny hopping the TT bike..... I got no reply to that:)

Turbos and spinning are to cycling what treadmills are to running... if thats your bag happy days, but I'll take a forest to cycle through in any weather rather than a turbo in a shed. simples
    The bit about mtbing improving your climbing comes from cycling up mountains btw, winter road cycling bears little resemblance to winter mtb, as for bunny hopping the TT bike..... I got no reply to that:)

And whats the typical gradient of a MTB climb? And distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

when you say climbing I presume you mean pushing your bike up the hills before freewheeling down? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ah, the eternal question: Mountain-biking or turboing - which is better?

Next week: apples .v. oranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bananas obviously...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

We did Tuesday and Thursday evenings from Nov last year on the road and I felt 8 weeks of spinning on one of these nights would break up the winter a bit more.

Also there's a few people around the area who want to get into cycling a bit more so I thought they'd be more likely to get involved if we started spinning instead of dragging them up Ardgillan hill five times a night in the lashing rain.

Variey being the spice of life and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I signed up last week for a 4 weeks of spinning sessions at Winning Solutions.
    Not sure should I be doing something this intense this early in winter, however I wanted to give it a try and compare it to my own turbo sessions.

Advertisement