Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few photo`s taken from the parkzone radian glider

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭

St Annes golf course, Bull Island, Dublin, - Howth head is in upper right of photo
    Stannsgolfcourse.jpg

Lansdowne Road - Northumberland Road junction, Dublin city
    citycentre2.jpg

Car park at Shelbourne Road, Dublin city (Where we flew from)
    citycentre.jpg

Aviva Stadium, Lansdowne Road
    aviva.jpg

Aviva Stadium, Lansdowne Road
    avivastadiumfromradian.jpg

Beach at Bray head, County Wicklow
    bray.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They're excellent, any chance you can label them for the folks who aren't familiar with the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dyflin wrote: »
    They're excellent, any chance you can label them for the folks who aren't familiar with the area?

yes i will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Very nice shots there Robbie. Were you using a wide angled lens for the Howth shot?

Must have been interesting to say the least, getting the Rad back down into such a tight spot as that car park with all the tall buildings around. My Rad likes a long glide in.

Btw, how did you manage to keep an eye on her when flying over Dublin City? Weren't you worried that you'd lose sight of her behind some tall buildings? I temporarily lost sight of my Supercub behind a tree for only a couple of seconds a few months back but she came out from behind the tree in a nosedive that I only managed to pull her out of in time. Were you using one of your video gizmos to fly, i.e. fpv?

Very nice shots there Robbie. Were you using a wide angled lens for the Howth shot?

Must have been interesting to say the least, getting the Rad back down into such a tight spot as that car park with all the tall buildings around. My Rad likes a long glide in.

Btw, how did you manage to keep an eye on her when flying over Dublin City? Weren't you worried that you'd lose sight of her behind some tall buildings? I temporarily lost sight of my Supercub behind a tree for only a couple of seconds a few months back but she came out from behind the tree in a nosedive that I only managed to pull her out of in time. Were you using one of your video gizmos to fly, i.e. fpv?

It was wide angle for all the shots, its actually the go-pro hero video camera taking videos, i just took stills from the video.
    When landing in tight spots i catch the radian in flight, just fly in and catch in flight.

There was no problem with losing sight, i just kept it well above any buildings so it was not a problem. It was all direct flying in them photos with the camera just recording video.

Actually now just looking again Dave, only the photo over Bull Island and Bray Head are the go pro wide angle, the others are from a compact camera which was filming in movie mode, so they are not wide angle, just Bull Island and the Howth Head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Actually now just looking again Dave, only the photo over Bull Island and Bray Head are the go pro wide angle, the others are from a compact camera which was filming in movie mode, so they are not wide angle, just Bull Island and the Howth Head.

Very good clarity for stills from video Robbie.

Can you post a photo or two showing the cam setup in/on the plane itself?

Here it is, just a strip of aluminium bent around a wine bottle and 2 other
    pieces bolted to it, and camera attached, nothing to complex,
    Just start camera and fly.
    PICT0113.jpg

PICT0111.jpg

PICT0117.jpg

PICT0115.jpg

PICT0114.jpg

PICT0112.jpg

coolwings wrote: »
    Very good clarity for stills from video Robbie.

Yes it comes out quite good from the movie clip. I am just pausing and using the Prnt Scrn buttons on pc. Then paste into corel paint.
    If you were printing then taking stills with a still camera is better, but the stills from movie clips are good on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lovely pics all right, how do you get to fly over the City do you need permission, if it lost control and went down in a busy street do you have to have special insurance, not being bitchy just wondering :D

God almighty Robbie, thats not a Radian anymore, its akin to a "Predator" drone. All you're missing now is a couple of air to ground missiles :D

You've done a hell of a lot of mods to that bird. Why did you place the receiver on the outside? Was the camera gear interfering with the signal? What is the antennae on the back btw?

Noticed that you have a second Radian now.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Lovely pics all right, how do you get to fly over the City do you need permission, if it lost control and went down in a busy street do you have to have special insurance, not being bitchy just wondering :D

Well its very slow flying anyway, i catch it when its coming in to land so its not going to cause havoc, but there is risk with anything i guess. But that flying in the city is a once off id say. The owner of that glider had insurance on it at the time of that flight. That and an MK mikrokopter he had insured, but i would`t fly that near any city centre. Or anythig these days probably.

God almighty Robbie, thats not a Radian anymore, its akin to a "Predator" drone. All you're missing now is a couple of air to ground missiles :D

You've done a hell of a lot of mods to that bird. Why did you place the receiver on the outside? Was the camera gear interfering with the signal? What is the antennae on the back btw?

Noticed that you have a second Radian now.

The radian on the floor is sons one, the one hanging up is another fellas who i fly it for. Aerial on back is a 2.4ghz video tx. A bit tricky with the spektrum radio, but with the return to home auto pilot it works well, had it out to 5 or 600 meters anyway. Usually fly by direct view or using screen with spotter beside me. I wired it all internally and used multiplex 6 pin plugs to plug in video tx, and front mini camera.

I put the satellite receiver of the AR7000 on outside because inside canopy is tight for space, and on outside it might be slightly better diversity. Not much mods really, in seconds the video tx can be plugged out and the minu camera and its like a normal radian.

Well its very slow flying anyway, i catch it when its coming in to land so its not going to cause havoc, but there is risk with anything i guess. But that flying in the city is a once off id say. The owner of that glider had insurance on it at the time of that flight. That an an MK mikrokopter he had insured, but i would`t fly that near any city centre. Or anythig these days probably.

Thanks for the reply I was only wondering how it could fly over a City out of curiosity as I thought that you would loose sight of it, the pics are amazing quality how long can it stay in the air.

Thanks for the reply I was only wondering how it could fly over a City out of curiosity as I thought that you would loose sight of it, the pics are amazing quality how long can it stay in the air.

With the camera gear it will fly for 20 minutes, without it just as pure glider, flights of an hour or more are possible, average flight would be 30 to 35 minutes.

I did not fly it very far in the city, 150-200 meters, which is very near, as by direct sight you could fly 5 or 600 meters easily.
    Once its up high enough it wont go behind buildings. Was quite a big open area at the car park we flew out of. But i did catch it on landings as the ground was very rough for landing on,

With the camera gear it will fly for 20 minutes, without it just as pure glider, flights of an hour or more are possible, average flight would be 30 to 35 minutes.

I did not fly it very far in the city, 150-200 meters, which is very near, as by direct sight you could fly 5 or 600 meters easily.
    Once its up high enough it wont go behind buildings. Was quite a big open area at the car park we flew out of. But i did catch it on landings as the ground was very rough for landing on,

Thanks for that robbie7730 if you get any more put them up its nice to see things from a different angle and the quality being so good, good luck with the flying.

Thanks for that robbie7730 if you get any more put them up its nice to see things from a different angle and the quality being so good, good luck with the flying.

Yes i might put a few more up, because its stills taken from video there could be a few more alright. Is anyone else taking any?

I've a few vids taken from about 1,000 feet up of the countryside around my place. However, my "broadband" is very slow and the upload speed to youtube said it would take 8 hours to put a vid up. I don't know how to take a snapshot off a video. Pity as I have some nice shots of rolling countryside.

Btw, Robbie what is the "return to home" feature? If its what I think, i.e. a gps based bring the plane back to you, I'd be interested in getting this for my Rad as I have had one "flyaway" to date and I'm always a bit worried I might lose her again.

I've a few vids taken from about 1,000 feet up of the countryside around my place. However, my "broadband" is very slow and the upload speed to youtube said it would take 8 hours to put a vid up. I don't know how to take a snapshot off a video. Pity as I have some nice shots of rolling countryside.

Btw, Robbie what is the "return to home" feature? If its what I think, i.e. a gps based bring the plane back to you, I'd be interested in getting this for my Rad as I have had one "flyaway" to date and I'm always a bit worried I might lose her again.

Yes it steers the plane back if signal lost, was tricky to set up when i tried a while back, because the eagle tree system has to sense when there is a receiver failsafe, so this time what i did was, as i was binding the Tx to Rx i set the throttle sub trim to -20%, so this is the level the spektrum Rx will bring throttle to if signal lost, and the eagle tree senses this and auto pilot comes on, so the only time the throttle can now reach -20% is signal loss and the AR700 goes to failsafe. I also programmed the aux2 switch to mix with throttle so switching this brings throttle to -20% also and in effect i have a return to home switch. Otherwise to test the return to home involves using the on screen menus while in flight. A switch a lot simpler to test the autopilot. Its the eagle tree OSD pro im using.

To take snapshot off video, play the video full screen, pause it, press ctrl and Prnt Scrn keys on pc together. This copies the screen image as you see it. Then open a paint programme and click edit, paste as new image. Save as jpeg renamed so its easy to find.

Vlc media player is a great player for getting full screen playback. The Ctrl-Prnt Scrn copies the entire screen image so if you just had video in a small window you would need to crop the image after.

I have had one "flyaway" to date and I'm always a bit worried I might lose her again.

The return to home wont work too well in windy conditions anyway, with light gliders i tend to fly up wind more so than down wind if its a windy day, if you get into trouble upwind its more likely at least to come a bit nearer to you, where as down wind it will fly further away.

• Advertisement

Northumberland Road - Lansdowne Road junction. (looking up Pembroke Road)
    citycentre.jpg

Dublin city looking east along Pembroke Road
    citycentre2.jpg

Woodlawn Estate, County Galway
    woodlawnestate3.jpg

woodlawnestate.jpg

woodlawn4.jpg

woodlawnestate2.jpg

Aviva stadium
    Aviva.jpg

robbie 7730 you should show the picture of the Aviva Stadium to the Rugby HQ I bet they would purchase a copy from you its brilliant, well done.

Only spotted the video now very good ,you put a big finger print on the lens before take off :D Thanks for putting them up and giving us a different look at Dublin.

You should post these in the Aircraft Thread so the guys there can look at them it has a big following on that section.

Only spotted the video now very good ,you put a big finger print on the lens before take off :D Thanks for putting them up and giving us a different look at Dublin.

Its not a finger print unfortunately, the fella i do the flyin with, its his go pro camera, they come with a protective case but we dont put that on because of weight, so the wide angle lens glass protrudes a little from the casing. The very first use of it i had it pointing direct down on glider and scratched the lens coating on front garden wall putting glider down on it. He has since got a second go pro camera so i use the scratched one for experimenting with different setups.

Radian in flight
    Radianovernavan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Feck this crap Im going to buy one in 2 weeks:D

Plug wrote: »
    Feck this crap Im going to buy one in 2 weeks:D

The picture taken in post #26 is taken using a flycamone v2, not too bad of a camera for recording your flights.

The video in the post you quoted (#27)is a cularis glider, but the radian is great for starting and a fair bit cheaper.

There is a parkzone radian pro just new out which has ailerons as well, the standard radian just has rudder. elevator and throttle. But for starting off thats plenty. I think the non aileron one is better for photos as its more stable wing shape helps keep it level.

Do you have a link for that?

Plug wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that?

To what, the camera?

• Advertisement

To what, the camera?
    The new glider with the ailerons.

Advertisement