Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

royal canin junior 32 ????

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Hi,hope some of you guys can help. I'm having trouble following the feeding guidlines on the royal canin junior 32 pack. I have taken the pups current weight of 10kg and come up with a daily feed of 175 grams (i think thats it from memory). Or should I be taking the expected adult weight?

Not even sure what he expected adult weight would be for a springer spaniel.Currently 14 weeks old and about 10kg.

On another note what do you guys think of this Royal Canin dry food.Have also been looking a similar priced foods, Burns , James Wellbeloved , Arden Grange , Red Mills Leader. What dry food are you guys feeding and why?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You go by the adult weight OP ;) Go for the lightest in the chart too because it's easier to get the weight on them than off - you should be able to feel their ribs but not see them. Our guy used to be on Junior 32 but I found it had way to much protein in it - he was hyper at times, and had a sensitive tummy and got the runs every other week. I switched him to Burns and he calmed down a lot and less poo and sensitive tummies! Our guy has problems with his legs and the high protein in this food could have been a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Good educational pet food seminar coming up on 7th nov in Portlaoise
    tk123 wrote: »
    You go by the adult weight OP ;) Go for the lightest in the chart too because it's easier to get the weight on them than off - you should be able to feel their ribs but not see them. Our guy used to be on Junior 32 but I found it had way to much protein in it - he was hyper at times, and had a sensitive tummy and got the runs every other week. I switched him to Burns and he calmed down a lot and less poo and sensitive tummies! Our guy has problems with his legs and the high protein in this food could have been a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

tk123 wrote: »

Many thanks for that.I did read about the high protien content alright.I only have a small bag of royale canin I got in petsathome in Derry,so could easily change over to Burns.Can be a wee bit hyper at times,but stools seem ok and no upset tummy so far.But she has only been weaned off pedigree chum and wagg in the last couple of weeks.I also read Burns is a good food alright. What type of burns should I be feeding a pup and any idea what age you should change over to adult food.What type of dog have you,a springer?

Sorry for all the questions.It's been a few years since we had a dog abround the house and the last one just got whatever was going from the plate and a bit of mixer/coloured skittles from the shops,haha.

She gets about a mile to mile and half walk every day,so I suppose pretty active for her age.I suppose that'll go down a bit in the winter when the weather gets worse.

sral1 wrote: »
    Good educational pet food seminar coming up on 7th nov in Portlaoise

Damn, too far away up here in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

gooner99 wrote: »
    I did read about the high protien content alright. Can be a wee bit hyper at times,but stools seem ok and no upset tummy so far. What type of burns should I be feeding a pup and any idea what age you should change over to adult food.

She gets about a mile to mile and half walk every day,so I suppose pretty active for her age.I suppose that'll go down a bit in the winter when the weather gets worse.

Hey OP,

Burns do a minibite food (black bag with orange) that is for pups and toy breed adult dogs. You should change him over to adult food (I use Burns fish/chicken and brown rice) at about 18 months I think. I am very happy with Burns, my two were wired on RC, I had one on RC light and it was 32% protein! :eek:

You should only be walking a pup 5 minutes/day per month of age so you shouldnt go over 15/20 minutes a day as it can cause damage to their joints.

Pics please :D

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hey OP,

Burns do a minibite food (black bag with orange) that is for pups and toy breed adult dogs. You should change him over to adult food (I use Burns fish/chicken and brown rice) at about 18 months I think. I am very happy with Burns, my two were wired on RC, I had one on RC light and it was 32% protein! :eek:

You should only be walking a pup 5 minutes/day per month of age so you shouldnt go over 15/20 minutes a day as it can cause damage to their joints.

Pics please :D

Thanks for the reply.I'll try to get some pics up later.I always go for that length of walk myself.So I will cut back to half,that should be about 15/20 minutes.Mind you I will need to go on a special diet myself then.Maybe I can finish of the Royale Canin bag.haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Pets at Home have some great stuff OP, the only thing is that their range of dog food is quite limited. They do a food called Wainrights though which I haven't seen anywhere else which looks very good quality. Wainrights also have a range of treats which are brilliant, and go down great with my dog who throws up at even a sniff of anything dodgy. There is another shop on the Buncrana Road, Jolyees, they have a huge range of dog foods including Burns which Pets at Home don't stock. Of course you can always buy on-line but its always helpful to be able to walk round a shop reading the bags when trying to decide what to feed them.

<ETA> Will be changing my dogs food after she gets spayed in a few weeks. She was going mental on Royal Canin, is now on Hills and doing better but her poos are a bit horrible. Haven't decided which yet but I'll either be changing to Burns or Wainrights.

Pets at Home have some great stuff OP, the only thing is that their range of dog food is quite limited. They do a food called Wainrights though which I haven't seen anywhere else which looks very good quality. Wainrights also have a range of treats which are brilliant, and go down great with my dog who throws up at even a sniff of anything dodgy. There is another shop on the Buncrana Road, Jolyees, they have a huge range of dog foods including Burns which Pets at Home don't stock. Of course you can always buy on-line but its always helpful to be able to walk round a shop reading the bags when trying to decide what to feed them.

<ETA> Will be changing my dogs food after she gets spayed in a few weeks. She was going mental on Royal Canin, is now on Hills and doing better but her poos are a bit horrible. Haven't decided which yet but I'lleither be changing to Burns or Wainrights.

Thanks for that.Have been in both Jolyees and Pets at home.Some range of food in Jolyees.The whole food thing is duanting,but want to feed a good food,probably can't afford orijen, so burns seems a good alternative.will also look a wainrights.Just to let you know if you go onto burns irish website,there is a link to email them for a starter pack.just emailed them today.i also emailed red mills,as i see they have rebranded/relaunched their leader range.

http://www.burnsireland.com/pb/wp_5e0ebb5c/wp_5e0ebb5c.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Brilliant! Cheers for the link. Orijen would definately be made from the highest quality ingredients. If I remember correctly though it is also the highest in protein, a lot of dogs couldn't handle it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

Hi there.....also have a springer who's 5 months old. Also started in Royal Canin, but have discovered Barking Heads.....seems to suit him But l don't know where you can get it. We're in Cork and there's one tiny independent pet shop that stock it.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What type of burns should I be feeding a pup and any idea what age you should change over to adult food.What type of dog have you,a springer?

I changed our guy over when he was 8 or 9 months he's on the duck and brown rice one and it says from 6 months on - each food is different though. Our guy is a golden retriever btw.

I get his food from www.zooplus.co.uk - be careful thou because you'll spend a fortune getting all his little bits and pieces!:pac::pac:

Whatever you decide to try him on get small bags )in case he doesn't take to it and you're left with half a ton of food :pac:) and gradually introduce the new food - so mix it in over a couple of weeks adding a bit more as you go along. If you switch too soon the puppy may end up getting an upset tummy which is no fun for you or him! :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Hi,hope some of you guys can help. I'm having trouble following the feeding guidlines on the royal canin junior 32 pack. I have taken the pups current weight of 10kg and come up with a daily feed of 175 grams (i think thats it from memory). Or should I be taking the expected adult weight?

Not even sure what he expected adult weight would be for a springer spaniel.Currently 14 weeks old and about 10kg.

On another note what do you guys think of this Royal Canin dry food.Have also been looking a similar priced foods, Burns , James Wellbeloved , Arden Grange , Red Mills Leader. What dry food are you guys feeding and why?

Many Thanks.

If the pup is 10kgs already then you will be looking at an adult weight of 23 to 25kgs. So feed her by that for the moment. I would get her weighed sometime soon as well; 10kgs for a fourteen week old springer doesn't sound right to me for some reason ((having worked in a vets practice I spent an awful lot of time weighing dogs:D so know most breed weights off by heart now)). I assume its an english springer? Welsh springers tend to be a bit smaller.
    Have had foster pups over the past few years, even two springer crosses; where I live people just seem to think we have a 'dump puppy here' sign outside our house so I end up with at least two or three a year. I started the first one on Royal canin but ended up moving to real nature and hills. Same price as the royal canin but much better quality, and you feed less because there's more meat in it. Never tried any of my dogs on Burns food, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on it. Getting a bullmastiff soon so going to do a mix of orijen and real nature, but as you can imagine, the orijen is fairly expensive.

Oh, one last thing- springers are technically adults at fourteenth months of age so feed puppy food until then.

Shanao wrote: »
    If the pup is 10kgs already then you will be looking at an adult weight of 23 to 25kgs. So feed him by that for the moment. I would get him weighed sometime soon as well; 10kgs for a fourteen month old springer doesn't sound right to me for some reason ((having worked in a vets practice I spent an awful lot of time weighing dogs:D so know most breed weights off by heart now)). I assume its an english springer? Welsh springers tend to be a bit smaller.
    Have had foster pups over the past few years, even two springer crosses; where I live people just seem to think we have a 'dump puppy here' sign outside our house so I end up with at least two or three a year. I started the first one on Royal canin but ended up moving to real nature and hills. Same price as the royal canin but much better quality, and you feed less because there's more meat in it. Never tried any of my dogs on Burns food, I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on it. Getting a bullmastiff soon so going to do a mix of orijen and real nature, but as you can imagine, the orijen is fairly expensive.

Oh, one last thing- springers are technically adults at fourteenth months of age so feed puppy food until then.

Thanks for the reply.Yes she's an english springer.Just to confirm she is 14 weeks and not 14 months,so I guess she is ok. will also have a look at the foods you have mentioned.

Sorry I actually knew it was fourteen weeks, have no idea how I ended up typing months? Then again, I have the flu right now; not really thinking straight. What I actually meant was that she might be a little overweight at 10kgs already so I'd get that checked out. Sorry bout the little mixup there

Also somehow missed the fact that its a female; geez I need to get over this damn flu and soon. Being a female, she should be 22 to 23 kgs max when she's stopped growing.

Advertisement