Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wee question....

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

i know there are policies on the website regarding officers having tattoos that are visible, i just wanted to know from the point of view of someone in GV training or having completed training, what is allowed and what isnt? for example, if somebody has tattoos which are visible say on their lower arms/wrist as long as they arent blatently discriminate or intimidating are they allowed?

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I am not in GV but maybe this will be of some help.

On the PSNI website it gives guidelines regarding this. I think obviously crests and emblems are a no-no. Maybe a Utd tattoo on shoulder would be ok. It says that they must not be disproportionate in size either.

I have seen plenty of cops with tattoos on forearms and some of those tribal bands etc. As long as it is nota full sleeve and generally inoffensive I assume you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

What 1986 says is correct. There really is no hard and fast rule about tatoos other than political/sectarian ones are a major no-no.
    It varies from case to case.
    My advice to anyone who doesn't have any and is thinking of joining the Police is '' don't get any '' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

delancey42 wrote: »
    What 1986 says is correct.
    My advice to anyone who doesn't have any and is thinking of joining the Police is '' don't get any '' :rolleyes:

Crap advice. Just don't have any tattoo's that might be interpreted as offensive. Plenty of my colleagues have visible tattoos on their arms/wrists and have encountered no problems. Even heard stories about a student who had a harp tattooed on his back, and still made it through garnerville.

Cashflow wrote: »
    Crap advice. Just don't have any tattoo's that might be interpreted as offensive. Plenty of my colleagues have visible tattoos on their arms/wrists and have encountered no problems. Even heard stories about a student who had a harp tattooed on his back, and still made it through garnerville.

I resent the inference that my advice is '' crap '' Cashflow , a lot of people do fret about how their tatoos may be interpreted and to avoid such fretting do you not agree that avoiding tatoos in the first instance is preferable ?
    Of course many people have had them for years in which case the tatoo policy comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

delancey42 wrote: »
    I resent the inference that my advice is '' crap '' Cashflow , a lot of people do fret about how their tatoos may be interpreted and to avoid such fretting do you not agree that avoiding tatoos in the first instance is preferable ?
    Of course many people have had them for years in which case the tatoo policy comes into play.

Resent away, it was crap. Just don't get anything offensive. If you want a tattoo don't let the slim hope that you might be offered a job in the police in 5 or 6 years time put you off

• Advertisement

Cashflow wrote: »
    Resent away, it was crap.

As you wish...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gav2k9

thanks guys, even if it was a little controversial! was hoping that, i have a few tatts already but nothnig that i would be worried about, was just wondering what they would let you have.... or what the boundaries were set at! id always been told the same, as long as it isnt secterian or likely to cause offence it shouldnt be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stoic_Copper

Well guys,
    I think if you are going to be a police officer you would not be the kind of person that would get an offensive tattoo anyways. You would be the kind of persaon that is sensitive to the public view and really would not want to offend. I know that is what you too really were trying to say! hehe. I agree with Cashflow in that if you want it you should get it. And like I just said, regular, prudent, sane person would have a very good idea what was offensive and what was not. But I also agree with Delancey, if you are in the last stages, it would be bad luck to lose your chance because of a lapse in judgement. Which alot of tattoos can ultimately be. hehe. we make our choices and we take our chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

. You would be the kind of persaon that is sensitive to the public view and really would not want to offend.

hahahaha

Edit

On the subject of tatoo's, i know a guy who has most of his back covered and it is visible through his shirt and he has no issues. Long as they arent offensive, controversial, etc etc you should be grand. I have 5 and i had zero issues

Advertisement