Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Insurance

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭

Hy all,

My better half is in home care, and one of her new clients is out of home care. It's through a HSE funded, well known company, and they have recently cleared her to drive the client places when needed.

Thing is, they're expecting her to update her own insurance to cover this, and are not providing company insurance. They normally don't allow clients to be transported in their workers own cars, but are making an exception with this client (and have HSE go-ahead).

My question is, should this company be providing company insurance to my better half if they're expecting her to drive this client around? She's no problems with using her own car, but i believe that the company should cover her in case of worst case scenario, and not have her own insurance affected because of a work related incident?

Cheers for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Is she claiming mileage expenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

She is getting milage and expenses, and they are covering the extra cost of the insurance from class 1 to 2, and she's grand with that. I just thought that if you had to drive for work that the company you drive for had to provide company insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A company wouldn't have an insurable interest in an employee's car, so I don't think they'd be able to insure it.

But as you said, she runs the risk of her own insurance policy being affected by an accident - I think that's just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tinnuvial

My car insurance specifically excludes work usage for the car. So she may not be covered by her insurance at all when she is using the car for work purposes.

The OP said that she is changing her policy "from class 1 to 2", so that's not an issue.

• Advertisement

She is getting milage and expenses, and they are covering the extra cost of the insurance from class 1 to 2, and she's grand with that. I just thought that if you had to drive for work that the company you drive for had to provide company insurance.

Nah. That's like saying if you wear a suit to work your employer should pay for it.

It's not really like saying that though. I would think it's quite reasonable to not want to put your personal car insurance policy at risk while doing your job. Unfortunately that's just how it works unless they provide a car.

eoin wrote: »
    It's not really like saying that though. I would think it's quite reasonable to not want to put your personal car insurance policy at risk while doing your job. Unfortunately that's just how it works unless they provide a car.

I think it's the employees decision whether they use their car for work purposes. Of course the HSE mileage & expenses rates will probably make it worthwhile.

Advertisement