Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings of Leon

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

I had a listen to their new album and I have to say I'm not impressed. They seem to have gone with the same kind of tone/vibe as their last album and just released another album which to me is a bit too mellow and whiney.

Their first album is my favourite, their second and third were also outstanding, I can't say I am a fan of their last album nor this one.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

It has been a slow degradation to tin pan alley for them since their debut album, which was a classic, now its all bull...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Yeah I would have to agree, I think they actually progressed between their first and third albums, though I much prefer their early rock sound rather than what they have now.

I found myself putting on Korn's first album after listening to it, it was just so morose or something.

I mean I find Neil Young to be morose (I love his stuff) but his new album isn't half as whiney as KOL's new one.

Couldn't bring myself to listen to a KOL album since i heard 'Sex on fire' on the radio, man i hate that song...really puts me off them.

I'm a bouncer in a nightclub in Cork, I hate that song!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I had no opinion on them until I heard "Sex on Fire". That was horrendously over-played, really grated on me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

they listened to/gave in to their record company execs and produced an album that would fill stadiums and get day time radio, its not music anymore, it's just a product.

they sold out.

they listened to/gave in to their record company execs and produced an album that would fill stadiums and get day time radio, its not music anymore, it's just a product.

they sold out.

I hear ya barkin big dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Same old Story,Flog a dead Horse!Give it up while your ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Guill wrote: »
    Couldn't bring myself to listen to a KOL album since i heard 'Sex on fire' on the radio, man i hate that song...really puts me off them.

+1 such an overplayed song that now it's mind rattling

Anyway i'm not a Kings Of Leon fan, however I've heard a lot of disappointment with KOL's recent albums. It seems KOL like many other bands have gotten to that stage in their career, where they can't put out any quality material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Dermighty wrote: »
    I had a listen to their new album and I have to say I'm not impressed. They seem to have gone with the same kind of tone/vibe as their last album and just released another album which to me is a bit too mellow and whiney.

Their first album is my favourite, their second and third were also outstanding, I can't say I am a fan of their last album nor this one.

Any opinions?

Nail on the head. I listened to the album in full, not one track stood out as outstanding, or even very good. they all have the same vibe to them. they hit their peak in 2007 with because of the times in my opinion. only released one good song since then, crawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Ive never seen a band loose their balls and become so "air-brushed" so quickly - PR Smiles, "interesting haircuts" , Top Man stylist and overly polished sound .... "Gotta sell those posters boys" !!!!

First 2 album great , 3rd shakey ....can't be arsed with anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i didnt think the third album was shakey at all, i loved it tbh....i think the first three are absolute class.....hate the 4th and really am afraid to listen to the new one!

i didnt think the third album was shakey at all, i loved it tbh....i think the first three are absolute class.....hate the 4th and really am afraid to listen to the new one!

I'd agree, I liked the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I really thought the 4th was a load of crap, it was basically 2 sh!te singles with some filler around it to make it an album. The new album is just as annoying as the last album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Dermighty wrote: »
    I'd agree, I liked the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I really thought the 4th was a load of crap, it was basically 2 sh!te singles with some filler around it to make it an album. The new album is just as annoying as the last album.

:( sh!te that's not what i wanted to hear!

i'm listening to it through their website now....not blown away i have to admit! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Always felt they were over-rated anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

the second album for me is their best. love it. loved the unique vocals and the songs were great. remember having it on in work one day when they had made it big with sex is on fire. the response was 'what the hell is that , turn it off'. funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Loved all there stuff, and there last album is a classic(not in the rock sense, but in the commercial rock sense...the last album and rock dont belong in the same sentence).

New album is total cack though. Even though everyone seemed to have hated the last album at least it was good from a commercial rock perspective. Now it seems to have gone to cack on all levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Absolutely LOVED their first album hard to belive it's 7years old!

I would just play it over and over I thought they had such a unique sound and mollys chambers is one of my fav songs ever

second album was really good. third was ok. downhill from there IMO but don't think I'll bother listening to latest offering...collaberating with justin timberlake and mark ronson?:rolleyes:

sickens me listening to young wans in pub screaming "I love this song" when sex on fire comes on...they start dancing and shouting "oh they're my favourite band!"

Please, they were in existance long before that bloody song came out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Always felt they were over-rated anyway.
    by "always" do you mean since 1999 when they formed?
    or since 2003 with their debut album?
    or since 2008 since sex on fire?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

magentas wrote: »
    by "always" do you mean since 1999 when they formed?
    or since 2003 with their debut album?
    or since 2008 since sex on fire?!

Since 2003 then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement