Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLC question...

Options
  • 19-10-2010 3:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

Im selling my 360, on the HDD I have 4-5 arcade games (limbo, trials HD etc) and all the add on's for forza. Can I leave these on the HDD for the next owner or is this un safe with regards to personal details? Not all the purchased content was not bought with my account but some was. Shoud I maybe copy them to another HDD, format mine and then copy them back? So ALL trace of my ownership is gone?

Ideally I would like to format the drive before selling for peace of mind but leaving the content there makes it more attactive to buyers...

Whats the general consensus on this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The games, DLC etc are tied to your XBL account so he would need to be logged into your account in order to play them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

I dont think so Jim, like I said above some of the content was bought on another account and that account has since been deleted off my console. I still have access to the Forza add ons and arcade games that were purchased with that account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

DLC is tied to both the console that it was first purchased/downloaded on, and the gamertag of the user that purchased it. What this means is that any gamertag on the original purchasing console can use it, or the purchaser can use it on another console (e.g. after copying to USB/memory unit) provided they are signed into XBL.

Now I'm not sure exactly how the console tie is implemented, but I would be wary that copying it between drives to get rid of personal information might actually break that, seeing as copies need the gamertag signed in on another console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

It'll all be tied to the console. Charge for the extras ;)

If you move them, then you'll need to do a licence transfer. I'd just leave them, can't see how anyone could backtrace anything important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cheevo Hunter

If you go to xbox.com and at the top or the screen is a search bar. Then search 'transfer' and one of the topic's it bring's up is 'Transfering Licence To A New Console'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Do you want to leave them for the next use of the console? If so then just leave it. As far as I'm aware there's no way for a user to tell who bought the license - the console ID is the only thing that's recorded in the PIR container, and the Gamertag check is done online. You're safe, not that it really matters if they know your old/current tag anyways.

If you want to keep the DLC then you can transfer what you bought with your current gamertag using the LMT (http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/Support/LicenseMigration/Home). To transfer the previous stuff you've got a tricky situation since the Gamertag is deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

AFAIK all downloads are tied to your xbox live account and not to your console, so when you move your live account to your new console you should be able to redownload anything you have purchased. then once you have recovered your gamer tag on the new console the old console should no longer be able to connect to live with that profile

AFAIK all downloads are tied to your xbox live account and not to your console, so when you move your live account to your new console you should be able to redownload anything you have purchased. then once you have recovered your gamer tag on the new console the old console should no longer be able to connect to live with that profile

You don't know ;)

cython hit the nail on the head. To be honest the story with DLC should be sticked in some sort of technical sticky in this forum, it crops up so many times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

Cheers for all the replies. I'd say I'll end up just formatting the HDD and selling that way for peace of mind. 'Tis a mighty pity to loose all that content though

What peace of mind? Seriously, I do not understand.

There are no privacy concerns, there are no data concerns. I don't get where peace of mind comes into it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement