Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professor Layton v Phoenix Wright

Options
  • 19-10-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

Well this means I am buying a 3DS, sounds like some crazy fanfic but might just work...

official website here.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really does sound great. 3DS just keeps sounding more awesome every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Is going to be amazing. I agree every bit of info released is just making it seem so amazing. But the best thing is I am so happy that 3D dosen't have to be used as would turn me off otherwise.

Wonder what type of game it will turn out to be? Probably just a mixture of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Ahh! So awesome! Fair play to Capcom and Level 5 for arranging such a brilliant collaboration. Tophats and Mr. Scruffy Detective all at once, sure what more could you want? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Looks like a sweet game alright another to add to the 3DS library of great games.
    Maybe this could be merged with the 3DS hype thread..Retr0....:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of deserves it's own thread really. If the users of this board have any taste then the 3DS thread, which is by far the most exciting piece of equipment coming in the next few months, should be kept ticking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This looks like win. I've never played a Professor Layton game - I like the art direction and style they seem to be going for, but I've just never got around to it. Combine that with Phoenix Wright - which I loved, but was getting bored with the formula by the last case in the second game - and we should have a pleasant change of pace :)

Make sure Gumshoe makes the cut, Capcom!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Never played a Professor Layton game proper so I can't really picture how this will turn out.

My question is how well they will be able combine the character designs and worlds from both series'? The style of the Layton games seem more Western-influenced (Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince comes to mind) whereas Ace Attorney is more manga/anime-styled (and appears to be, dare I say it, is the more "realistic" of the two games).

Never played a Professor Layton game proper so I can't really picture how this will turn out.

My question is how well they will be able combine the character designs and worlds from both series'? The style of the Layton games seem more Western-influenced (Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince comes to mind) whereas Ace Attorney is more manga/anime-styled (and appears to be, dare I say it, is the more "realistic" of the two games).

I've played both and I think they will fit rather well together. Both of them are basically adventure games and both have the same kind of cartoon humour to them. The settings might be a bit off but I'd love to see both sets of characters interact and think they would fit well. I know I'll have a silly grin through the whole thing and some laugh out load moments I expect from both series.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

A trailer has been posted up on the official site, and it looks fantastic! Hopefully the game itself will feature animated sequences of this quality too. Here's a subbed version;

That trailer looks awesome and makes me very happy for 1 reason. Maya Fey is in it! I think she's the best character in the whole ace attorney series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I read today that this may be a Japan only release.....

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

That would be pretty dumb, both series have a strong global following, why they would release it only in japan is beyond me... Capcom seem to like this strategy though. SSF4 is coming to the arcade with new characters, with Capcom first dangling the idea that there would be no DLC for consoles and then slowly changing the narrative once fan support picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Loved the first Professor Layton, been searching for my DS for a while now before i buy the second. Some of the puzzles were really good, testing every inch of my brain, loved the challenge and couldnt put it down.
    This is good news for the 3DS, liking the prospect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The game has only just been announced and there's not even an estimated release date for its home territory... so I don't see any reason to presume that this would'nt be released outside of Japan. I'm guessing this will be a Nintendo-published game, so it will be up to them at the end of the day.

Will Capcom make their own crossover title? Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton? :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Uber bump!

Just saw on Amazon this is being released in on the 28th of March :eek: Didn't even know it had a confirmed date yet, let alone one so soon. It's been a long wait, but this is one crossover I'm delighted is finally making its way here!

No release yet for the US yet. They always get the Layton games late with crapper voice acting :(

Anyone else playing this? Very much enjoying it so far - it's a surprisingly engaging story that has a lot of fun with taking its two leads out of their comfort zone. Plenty of humour and references, as well as some nice twists to the usual Ace Attorney formula (I've never actually played a Layton game, so that's all new!). I've given out about lack of Japanese voice acting before, but it's no issue here as the acting is actually very strong, especially from the Layton crew - helps that it's a distinctly English setting at times.

A few little issues - a couple of the puzzles feel quite contrived, and they're overgenerous with the hint coins which neuters the sense of challenge. But it's a whole lot of fun where the annoyances remain very minor thanks to what is a consistently strong and entertaining crossover.

Advertisement