Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help...computer disaster:(

• 19-10-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have a Dell laptop running xp that has been perfect up until today. Today when I turned it on I could not see the screen as it's too dim but I can tell that it has not started on the normal bios screen. It looks as though two windows are open side by side and one has the tree view of C drive etc. It stays like that for around 4 seconds and then it starts making a beeping noise that sounds like a phone ring tone... not the usual beep beep beep noise hard disks can make...it's more like a musical jangle. It does that for a few seconds and then starts the hard disk beep beep beep noise.

I've tried turning it on and off but it does the same thing each time. I've also tried attaching it up to my tv so I could use it as an alternate monitor but the tv isn't registering it...I presume because it isn't booting into windows.

What could be wrong? :(
    Is there anything I can do or should do?
    I don't know a lot about computers but I know beeping isn't good. :(

EDIT : I managed to hook it up to another tv ...there's an error message saying the inverter is unreachable. Hopefully that's all that's wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Inverter unreachable?
    An inverter changes AC current to DC current, have you got it plugged in? Maybe the inverter in your power cable is faulty.
    Edit Wait never mind I got that backwards, inverter changes DC to AC... no idea...

Try run it off the battery and see if it boots.
    If you can't see the BIOS screen that's a bit worrying.

Google gives these:
    http://repair.laptopsinfo.net/How_to_replace_dell_laptop_inverter
    Looks like your screen is faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

it's to do with the screen, basically it's not getting the right power supply, it's a replacement part you'll need. although with a newer dell you should be able to get a signal going to a tv/external monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if it is under warranty then they will come and replace the inverter otherwise you will have to source one or bring it to a shop to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jeweliette

Thanks everyone. I packed it off to the laptop doctor so hopefully if it's fitted with a new inverter it'll be back in action again.

Advertisement