Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance Question

Options
  • 19-10-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have two Westies and their insurance renewal quote from Allianz (they've both been with Allianz for a few years now) is €491 plus change this year. On Pet Insure it's €370 so a big difference. I rang Allianz but they said they coudln't match or even go any lower. Apart from the small differences in things like Vet fees Paid, Death by accident/illness, Lost & Found, Theft Cover etc. (all of which I can absorb) there doesn't seem to be a major difference (i.e. 3rd Party Liability on both is €250,000).

I rang my vet but he said he hasn't used them (Pet Insure) so wouldn't be able to offer an opinion either way.

Does anyone have any experience making a claim with Pet Insure? Were they difficult or helpful? Do they pay quickly and in full?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok, be aware, if you change companies, whatever problems your dog has been treated before, even once, will NOT be covered with new company.

Ive just changed from Allianz to Petinsure but thought they just didnt cover ongoing problems but no, its for anything the dog has suffered with before, even if it was only once.
    My dog suffers with hot spots about twice a year, a skin condition, but if he gets one now, he will not be covered as its a pre exisiting condition and has suffered with it before.

So just be very, very careful before you switch over. If your dog has something that he gets regularly, it will not be covered on your new policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Thanks andreac, we've been very lucky with one who's had no problems whatsoever to date (though we don't know her full history as she's a rescue), the other just had a few problems with ear infections etc., nothing major thankfully.

That said, think I'll stay with Allianz for peace of mind - just in case something turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have insurance with petinsure. Had to claim earlier in the year and no problems. It was all sorted very quickly. I just can't justify the price difference between Allianz and petinsure for what is very similar cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP - have you tried Argos?

My dog was insured with Allianz last year. When I got the renewal through, I was shocked to see the premium shot up to E260 with the excess increased to E100, even though the dog is perfectly healthy, no pre-existing conditions and we had never claimed. I called Allianz to query this, and they dropped it to E233 which was what we were paying.

There was another thread here not so long ago, about pet insurance which I'll try to find.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I looked at Argos. For their Gold cover it was E184 which offers far better cover. Even the Silver one offers good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

cheers, will have a look at that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement