Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCVP

• 19-10-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I would like to hear from anyone who got a distinction in LCVP. The merit really is nt enough, points wise, so any tips you have to reach the distinction would be great Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Checked mine, was 8 marks off it but still didn't go up in the appeals.

Very hard to get, I think 12% of the students who do LCVP get a distinction. (Not sure where I heard that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Very hard to get, I think 12% of the students who do LCVP get a distinction. (Not sure where I heard that)
    It's on the LCVP website in the forum section ;)
    I would like to hear from anyone who got a distinction in LCVP. The merit really is nt enough, points wise, so any tips you have to reach the distinction would be great Thanks:)

Technically, you're not allowed repeat LC but if you do, and I'm sure you will, I probablu should repeat it to. Then you have to "do as I say, not as I do"... It's not about creating a wonderful looking CV, it's about doing it the way they want it done. Buy "Making it Happen" by, I think her name is, Caroline McHale... And do it strictly to the guidelines on that and you'll be sound for the written element anyway. And then for the actual exam, just practise, repeat and practise.

I was 8 points off my dictinction. And using that book, and over the course of four consecutive all-nighters and working evening shifts, I managed to pull a merit. It can be done. Just start early and focus. Get your facts right and make no mistakes whatsoever as they will take valuable points away from you...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hughdini

I got a distinction and i can tell you that it wasnt really that hard.
    The questions on the paper itself kinda repeat themselfs and the marking schemes for the portfolio are all on examinations.ie. Its really easy though to lose easy marks in lcvp for things such as spelling mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Do the exam papers and read the marking schemes and you will get a distinction - the answers and questions are the exact same every year by the looks of it

I went through the papers and marking schemes the week before the exam and I got a distinction... worked for me

as for the project - just do it and make it really detailed basically...

it's not hard if you put the effort in - and it doesn't really take a lot of effort but you can't just show up on the day and expect to get a distinction...

it'll take a fair bit of work to get the projects done but it's very doable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I got a distinction, & tbh I didnt find it all that hard to do! All you have to do is make sure your portfolio is perfectly typed out - correct spelling & grammer, even spacing, keeping your method of showing headings uniform the whole way throughout the portfolio, emm..just stick to the guidelines exactly!... I found the written exam to be very repetitive & mostly common sense too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

wouldnt do it personally. especially if your doing mostly honours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Eight of my tutor group got distinctions last year. I didn't teach them but the girl that did is a legend. Not many used it but one in particular wouldn't have gotten his course without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

course is a waste of time imo.

did it for 5th year, and left at the start of 6th. only 3 left now after 2 more left.

more important stuff to study for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Keano! wrote: »
    course is a waste of time imo.

did it for 5th year, and left at the start of 6th. only 3 left now after 2 more left.

more important stuff to study for

depends how many points you want though in fairness... and it's an easy 70 points if you do a wee bit compared to say - getting 70 points in honours maths or honours irish - If i needed 420 points say and i could try to get 70 in lcvp or 70 in honours maths to bring me over the line I know which i'd rather pick for the workload

if your going for anything about 450ish you probably shouldn't even consider wasting your time with it tbh because you'll probably not count it unless you have 2-3 subjectst that your weak at...

but I wouldn't have quit if i were you - I spent about 2-3 hours the 2-3 night before the exam going over all the exam papers and I got my distinction - not a huge work load now in fairness.. and the project work took a wee bit of time - but in fairness - will the couple of hours extra to do the project work back before christmas stand against you come next june..

more than likely not in fairness - waste of time of a subject - yeah probably
    piss easy points if you really want them - definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JRL

Got the distinction and won an award for the course...Easiest way is to get familiar with the features of MS Word when getting your reports out, if the report looks professional and the content you've been asked to provide is there, you'll walk away with the marks. Its alot easier to do it right, then it is to do it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

are they very strict on the number of words. career statement has gone over the limit. will this cause marks to be taken off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jm55

Hi E40 to have your full portfolio checked by experienced LCVP examiner. Tips on editing and required content changes and additions. Also exam tips for the written paper.

Curly - keep CI to two pages and should be fine - Examiners only start looking at word count if running into too many pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I wish I didn't have to do LCVP. It's obligatory for the combination of subjects I picked. I'm doing 8 HL subjects and 70 points I can get in another subject. Our teacher is damn unreasonable, the printer wasn't working on Monday, which was the deadline for My Own Place, and she wouldn't take it off from the USB drive. I brought it in on Tuesday and she refused to correct it, so I'm getting 0% on the Christmas report. 1700 words wasted, so useless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I wish I didn't have to do LCVP. It's obligatory for the combination of subjects I picked. I'm doing 8 HL subjects and 70 points I can get in another subject. Our teacher is damn unreasonable, the printer wasn't working on Monday, which was the deadline for My Own Place, and she wouldn't take it off from the USB drive. I brought it in on Tuesday and she refused to correct it, so I'm getting 0% on the Christmas report. 1700 words wasted, so useless...

Go to your principal or year head.. You shouldn't have to take her shít.. I presume it was the school printer that wasn't working? Sounds like a right old cow!

Advertisement