Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest Picture Of The Century-Vulture Waiting For A Child To die

Options
  • 19-10-2010 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Pulitzer Prize winning photograph in Sudan by Kevin Carter.

In March 1993 Kevin Carter made a trip to southern Sudan and took this photograph. The picture would later bring him the Pulitzer prize, but also death. The girl had stopped to rest while struggling to reach the refugee camp, nearby a vulture is waiting her to die. It is a horrific picture that gave people a true look at the dire condition in Sub-Saharan Africa. Kevin then came under a lot of scrutiny for spending over 20 minutes setting up the photo instead of helping the child. Three months after taking the photo, he committed suicide.

<snip>
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Made a great song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

How did they decide that it was even sadder than say, pictures of concentration camp victims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

"Kevin then came under a lot of scrutiny for spending over 20 minutes setting up the photo instead of helping the child."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

flyton5 wrote: »
    How did they decide that it was even sadder than say, pictures of concentration camp victims?

Maybe because the person taking the photo actually could have helped the subject of the photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

That is so sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Morlar wrote: »
    "Kevin then came under a lot of scrutiny for spending over 20 minutes setting up the photo instead of helping the child."

Deservedly so. A pity he took his life over it, but ffs man, what was going through your head the minutes before he took that shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    That is so sad :(

I blame Kevin Carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's pictures like these that make you look at yourself and think. Everything I have, everything I own I take for granted. People in the world have it much worse, yet we can't stop compalining about things like the recession, the government and how bad our country is. When clearly there are worse things going on in the world. Of course I don't mean to sound as if we don't have problems of our own, but just that some people act as if we are on the brink of destruction or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

if i hear any more complaining or debate about this f'uckin photo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

prinz wrote: »
    Deservedly so. A pity he took his life over it, but ffs man, what was going through your head the minutes before he took that shot.

I'd imagine he was aware of the choice he had, try to help the kid or try to get the picture, which would

a) make him famous and wealthy
    b) highlight the plight of that place

I don't get why he didn't spend 20 mins to line up the shot THEN go help the ****ing kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

if i hear any more complaining or debate about this f'uckin photo...

I can't hear anything...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From wikipedia
    In March 1993 Carter made a trip to Sudan. The sound of soft, high-pitched whimpering near the village of Ayod attracted Carter to an emaciated Sudanese toddler. The girl had stopped to rest while struggling to a feeding center, whereupon a vulture had landed nearby. He said that he waited about 20 minutes, hoping that the vulture would spread its wings. It didn't. Carter snapped the haunting photograph and chased the vulture away.[5] However, he came under criticism for just photographing — and not helping — the little girl:

The St. Petersburg Times in Florida said this of Carter: "The man adjusting his lens to take just the right frame of her suffering, might just as well be a predator, another vulture on the scene."[6]

The photograph was sold to The New York Times where it appeared for the first time on March 26, 1993. Practically overnight hundreds of people contacted the newspaper to ask whether the child had survived, leading the newspaper to run a special editor's note saying the girl had enough strength to walk away from the vulture, but that her ultimate fate was unknown.

On April 2, 1994 Nancy Buirski, a foreign New York Times picture editor, phoned Carter to inform him he had won the most coveted prize for photojournalism. Carter was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Feature Photography on May 23, 1994 at Columbia University's Low Memorial Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Users should not be able to post links until after a certain number of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Kevin then came under a lot of scrutiny for spending over 20 minutes setting up the photo instead of helping the child. Three months after taking the photo, he committed suicide.

How he left the child there I don't know...

I think I would have been saddened even more if I found out he was still alive [/controversial comment]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

prinz wrote: »

Photographers and journalists in that region were given strict instructions not to be in contact with any of the people due to risk of catching disease.

Harsh that the photo was taken in such circumstances but a picture like that was needed to grab the attention of the West. A catch 22 picture, unfortunately, that ended up with the man taking his own life as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Users should not be able to post links until after a certain number of posts.

why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

As far as I know, he did help the kid after he got the shot. Still, places like that where famine and drought are rampant and there are people dying everywhere, change people. We're not used to it, and images from the television obviously will never really show the reality. Seeing death like that in the flesh must be horrific. I'm not surprised he killed himself after being faced with the circumstances in those countries. There's a reason voluntary organisations are wary about letting people travel out to those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

As far as I know, he did help the kid after he got the shot. Still, places like that where famine and drought are rampant and there are people dying everywhere, change people. We're not used to it, and images from the television obviously will never really show the reality. Seeing death like that in the flesh must be horrific. I'm not surprised he killed himself after being faced with the circumstances in those countries. There's a reason voluntary organisations are wary about letting people travel out to those countries.
    It says under the photo that he left immediately after taking the photo.

This photo is disgusting to me as the photographer is just another vulture, preying on a starving child to get fame and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Morlar wrote: »

Whats he gonna do, give her a f*cking Mars bar? Without proper medical equipment which I doubt he had she would've died anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I already PM once you about pimping your log.
    If you do it again I will get angry.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement