Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car registration in England.

Options
  • 19-10-2010 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to a register a car in England? All the websites I find just list tons of forms, but give no indication of cost. I've heard it can be quite expensive and a friend of mine found it cheaper to just buy a new car over there. I assume it depends on the model and year (it's ten years old), but I can't find any sort of breakdown like that.

Also, would tax and insurance be more expensive with an Irish drivers license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Im looking this up at the moment as well.. Unlike Ireland who just want your money the UK have paper work..

You need a MOT £35 from kwick fit
    find a insurance place that will insure you on the Vin number..
    then you can apply to the DVLA for plates..

Thats what I have guessed anyway from reading all the websites..

Tax is alot cheaper for cars insurance for me will go up I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

high heels wrote: »
    Im looking this up at the moment as well.. Unlike Ireland who just want your money the UK have paper work..

You need a MOT £35 from kwick fit
    find a insurance place that will insure you on the Vin number..
    then you can apply to the DVLA for plates..

Thats what I have guessed anyway from reading all the websites..

Tax is alot cheaper for cars insurance for me will go up I think..

DVLA charges are, as far as I know, a double digit figure, so not very expensive. I brought my car over, but sold it back home and got a UK reg car instead as I was clocking up high mileage so needed a diesel since the petrol costs were killing me.

As for car insurance, shop around. I had to do a lot of calling but in the end got a quote that was cheaper (when exchange rates worked out) than what I was paying back home. My initial quotes were outrageous, so be persistent.

Tax is absurdly cheap depending on what you're driving. I have a Focus 1.6 TDCi (58 reg, registered in late '08) and I pay £36 per year for tax as the car has excellent emissions ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Could anyone put up a step by step way of getting english plates?

I have a MOT but I dont know what to do next..

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Finnally just got this done..

First I got a MOT at kwick fit
    Then insurance I got insurance threw elephant.co.uk and insured it on the VIN number make sure they email you the policy with the VIN number on the policy as the DVLA wont take it unless the VIN number is on the policy.
    If its a Irish car you need a cert of conformity in Ireland they didn't give these out with new cars until recently I was able to get one online from germany as my car was a audi, If you cant get one online you will have to do a test on the car which is a fortune so try get the cert online.
    Then you go into the DVLA and fill out a form with all the cars details all the info is on the cert of conformity and Irish log book.
    You will also need to fill out a custom form its basic info.
    You will also need to bring a passport & proof of address.
    2 days later I got it all back in the post with my new tax disk and the form to get plates made up..

Its alot of paper work but thats the brits for ya..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mediaeval

I'm in the process of registering my car in the UK and have run into massive problems - basically, my car is a Mitusbishi Lancer 1.3 GLX. This model was never sold in the UK, so insurance is costing me a fortune - £300 for one month only, from the only company that would insure me, everyone else turned me down. All UK car insurance websites link to the DVLA's database, so you type in your registration number. If your car isn't registered here you can still get a quote but you have to specify the make model etc. Once I have plates, the insurance company who quoted me say I should be able to get insurance more cheaply. The MOT I have to get in order to register the car here, combined with the cost of getting the car up to scratch (it had the NCT over two years ago, so there's a bit of wear and tear there), will come to about £200-£250, I think (so the garage guy said, the car will be ready on Friday). The cost of registering it will be (I think) £35, and then there's the tax disc on top of that. The certificate of conformity cost €94 (euro) and took 6 weeks to arrive. Given that the car is 11 years old and probably not worth much more than £1200, it wasn't worth it at all. I wish I'd known that before I brought it over. I would have scrapped it except I'm pretty sure that you can't legitimiately scrap a car here if it's not registered!

I'd recommend making sure you can insure your car here before bringing it over - you can find out from any of the price comaprison websites, e.g. www.gocompare.com or www.confused.com.

• Advertisement
Advertisement