Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken USB stick?

• 19-10-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a 16gb HP USB stick (this very one in fact: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055920923) and I can no longer write to or from it. I can copy and view the files on the stick no problem. I have tried formatting it but it keeps telling me windows could not format the drive, I tried using diskpart to format also and it cited an I/O device error (same when I try to delete/put on files). Earlier on I created a folder on the stick and it was full of gibberish files which according to windows is 49gb. It was working fine this morning so i'm not sure what happened. Is there any sort of disk formatting utilities or programs that may be able to help or am I clutching at straws here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

you could try the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Consider how lucky you are not to have lost some irreplaceable data. Such devices should only be treated as temporary storage. IMHO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Most of these devices have a 1 year warranty so get on HP and get a replacement, sounds like the controller is gone on it, there maybe a way of getting the information off it but that would be difficult.

By the way, the sympthoms that you are describing would suggest water damage, you might want to be adament that it was never in the washing machine or exposed to excessive mositure in anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

SoundWave wrote: »
    you could try the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool..

Doesn't work, gives me a "Device media is write-protected" error :(
    bonzodog2 wrote:
    Consider how lucky you are not to have lost some irreplaceable data. Such devices should only be treated as temporary storage. IMHO.

I know but it's very frustrating considering I've barely had it a few months
    Clareman wrote:
    Most of these devices have a 1 year warranty so get on HP and get a replacement, sounds like the controller is gone on it, there maybe a way of getting the information off it but that would be difficult.

By the way, the sympthoms that you are describing would suggest water damage, you might want to be adament that it was never in the washing machine or exposed to excessive mositure in anyway

I'm pretty sure I don't have the original reciept so i'm not sure if i'll be able to get a replacement :(
    As for getting information off it, that's not an issue as i can copy the files on it onto my computer, i just can't edit or remove them or put more files onto it.
    Alost definite if would not be water damage. The stick is on my keyring which always site on my desk or is in my jeans pocket and dampness from the rain seems very unlikely as it would never soak inside the jeans.
    Thanks for the suggestions though

btw, it's this stick: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/13188462/Hewlett-Packard-16GB-V135W-USB-Flash-Drive/Product.html That suggests it has a 2year warranty, but i'm guessing unless i can find the original receipt i have nothing to fall back on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If there's a serial number on it you might get lucky, check the support sites and you'll find out, I'd a lexar drive drive before and they swapped it no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

delete partition from the disk management and then format.

if its protected maybe there is a switch or software installed for it which keep it protected!!!

Advertisement