Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damp/Mildew Problem

• 19-10-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'm currently renting a 1 Bed apartment, (ground floor) where I have a big mildew/damp problem in all the rooms. We even have damp/mildew on our cloths in the wardrobe. We have cleaned the leather couch numerous times now due to green dusty mildew(i think its mildew) but it continually comes back. I try open the windows in the evening and the heat is on as much as we can. Is there anything I can do here? Should me landlord resolve this for me? If I'm in a contract have I any rights to say I'm moving out if the issue is not fixed in 1/2 weeks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Damp and mildew occurs in new builds that are drying out. In older properties, it is usually due to poor ventilation where moisture rich air from cooking, people breathing etc has no where to go so this settles on clothes, furniture etc and encourages the growth of mildew.

The easiest solution is to ventilate the property. Make sure vents are open and clear of obstructions (check that you actually have a vent in the wall as some builders just screwed the vent to the wall with no opening through to the outside), open windows as much as possible and try to not dry clothes indoors. The second option is to get a dehumidifer. I bought one as one room in my house suffers from a similar problem with mildew on clothes, roller blind etc. This machine sucks the water vapour out of the air and leaves it nice and dry and smelling fresh.

Of course, you could have a more general issue with damp due to poor construction but thats a problem for your landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

As with the OP I have a ground floor apt built at beginning of 'Celtic Tiger' era that has small windows and even smaller trickle vents. There has always been a dampness/mildew problem in the apt but this was managed by using a dryer for clothes, always using the kitchen extractor fan and most importantly opening windows as much as possible. However, more recently this problem has got worse because tenants just won't do any of the above. As with PD I got a dehumidifier but this won't be turned on.

I was advised recently to get someone to core drill 4" vent holes in the wall of each room and this should solve the problem as the vents would be permanently open and would not dependant on tenants. Has anyone else had similar issues and what would people's views be on such a course of action. I am conscious that vents mean heat loss but in my case does the benefit of better ventilation outweigh the heat loss.

Finally, if anyone has experience of getting this job done in hte Dublin area I would appreciate a pm of the details of company/individual who carried out the work.

Thanks

Advertisement