Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar comparisons

• 19-10-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Before I go and try to work up some comparisons myself, I'm just checking to see if anyone has already completed some sort of comparison analysis between the various products on the market. For example, cost vs efficiency.
    Anything at all that may be a help if you can PM me.
    Thanks,
    Clint

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Hi Clint,

There are computer simulation packages that can do this. A free one is at www.retscreen.com. I have also PM'd you the details of a company which offers this simulation in relation to their own products in Ireland.

Every panel on the market will have had to provide SEAI with an EN12975 certificate. There is important data on this -
    • the zero loss efficiency, which is the efficiency when the fluid temperature is the same as the air temperature. Many flatplates score better than vacuum tubes on this.
    • the heat loss coefficient, which is the rate at which the panel loses heat when the fluid temperature is higher than the air temperature. On this point, vacuum systems score batter than flatplates
    • the incidence angle modifier, which is the variation as the sun goes from east to west during the day. Chinese vacuum flasks score very high on this, and that usually compensates for the zero loss efficiency.
    There is a fourth factor, which no simulation can account for, and that's the nut who installs it. The quality of insulation and way the system is set up is also quite important, but I have seen some ludicrous setups that lost a lot of heat, particularly because the boiler coil and pipework was losing heat. :rolleyes:

Advertisement