Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standards gone?!!

Options
  • 19-10-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me being me but was in Eyre Square today and heard a girl of about 16 screaming across the park at a friend, less than choice language, wearing her PJs and smoking a cigarette essentially in her child's face. Do people not care about standards? I mean for themselves. She was embarrassing people around her with her language but didn't seem to notice it herself. Her pants kept falling down and she didn't seem to care, they're PJs, I don't see how wearing a tracksuit would be too difficult?! I really thought it looked terrible and was so embarrassed. I know people will probably say I'm up my own ass and sure she wasn't hurting anyone but her poor baby might aswell have had a cigarette shoved in his face.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You're just getting old, that's all.

Be grateful she wasn't hollering a mhúinteoir dhílis, ar mhaith leat blas de pé atá faoin gculaith seo..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I think it's simply bad parenting as always. Kids growing up with zero respect for others or themselves...
    And you're getting old :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I know people will probably say I'm up my own ass

No you're not.
    A humane killer bolt through the forehead is what most of them deserve.

PITHING.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I agree with you for re a lot of it, the crass stuff, smokin' the fag in the kid's face etc, but somehow I don't see what the big problem is that people have with the whole PJs thing..

I think they're no different to tracksuits, leather jackets, rah rah skirts, whatever - they're a trend, a uniform, like anything else. Whether it's in any sort of good taste or not is debatable, but I actually have no problem with it. They look comfy! Usually it's an improvement on the getups where you'd wonder if the wearers are going to catch their 3rd bout of pneumonia and break both ankles walking down the road!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What harm sure, it was a Tuesday so more than likely she had to rush into town to sign on before 12 and had no time to get dressed, if anything blame the social not her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

What harm sure, it was a Tuesday so more than likely she had to rush into town to sign on before 12 and had no time to get dressed, if anything blame the social not her.
    People sign on every day of the week, not just on a Tuesday.

Sorry to burst your bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I wouldn't be embarassed by somebody else...She's a product of the system. Ah well, maybe when the country collapses it will be every man and woman for themselves...bring on the pitch forks with hay lit on fire..wooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I saw a woman driving in her pyjamas today at lunchtime fwiw.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Meh, scangers gonna scang. People learn what they live, she probably grew up with no one giving a ****e about her.

Feel sorry for the kid though, maybe he/she can break out of the cycle.

The Pyjama thing is amusing, saw it for the first time in Boston in 2005, it was winter, dunno how they weren't freezing their gees off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Sure hasnt a local senator been seen around the place in PJ's. Its all the fashion.... even the usless shower of coconuts that run the coutry are at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

get used to it - its only going to get worse - and it will look a hell of a lot worse when you have boarded up buildings as a background - that is of course unless the people of this country grow a spine and start a revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Das Kitty wrote: »
    scangers gonna scang

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

am curious, what are the powers of the Garda Reserve? Isn't it this sort of local antisocial behaviour in public spaces that they were formed to address?

As for the stirring call for revolution, 1916 anniversary is coming up... are all we cosy boardies up for a blood sacrifice? :rolleyes:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

jkforde wrote: »
    am curious, what are the powers of the Garda Reserve? Isn't it this sort of local antisocial behaviour in public spaces that they were formed to address?

As for the stirring call for revolution, 1916 anniversary is coming up... are all we cosy boardies up for a blood sacrifice? :rolleyes:

Sounds like town would become a glorified prison...it's shank or be shanked my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I can just imagine what she'd scream if she was approached by gardaí in front of the young wan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I can just imagine what she'd scream if she was approached by gardaí in front of the young wan.

its a few years away yet - we'd want to be gettin started now before we sink, never to be heard of again.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Sounds like town would become a glorified prison...it's shank or be shanked my friend.

shank? is this Galwegian unspeak for being threatened or assaulted with a knife? To shank or to be shanked. What a revealing choice.

(but, feck this, back to some of the real issues affecting this town, I mean 'why are all the chippers in Galway crap...')

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

I really hate the pajamas thing, its rank! I think it all started when they built Tescos next to all the council estates.
    Tis proper scummy to be out an about in your PJs, especially if they;re all stained....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

bildo wrote: »
    I really hate the pajamas thing, its rank! I think it all started when they built Tescos next to all the council estates.
    Tis proper scummy to be out an about in your PJs, especially if they;re all stained....

Scummy clothes are scummy clothes - full stop. Pyjamas, jeans whatever.
    A lot of these PJ wearers seem to have a full wardrobe of them, so it's not about wearing your pjs for 24 hours. I think it's hilarious. And very little difference between them and a tracksuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

I have to use public transport unfortunately and i wouldnt mind at all if not... all those school monsters in it... this is just :( they give me head ache every single day and dont get me wrong i like young people, teenagers (not too old yet myself :cool:), but i like them if they are normal nice people and now- most of them istn. :/ So sad! They are just SORRY -but ugly and stupid. I dont mean ugly - not pretty. Just this ugliness is coming from their empty insides. The same scene i saw few days ago. Two girls in stained clothes, hair in mess, empty stupid faces -age about 16 pushing themselfs talking about bull****, shouting, smoking cigarettes. Bus came and few elderly people where almost knocked down by them.
    I feel sick when i see sooo many people acting like this. When i think my children would have to share the same school with those monsters... :/ I dont feel like i want to have kids at all.

-the whole pyjama trend is i think pretty harmless, it's just about -look how cool i am to go out in pyjama... and thats it. Stupid but harmless.

• Advertisement

Maja wrote: »
    I have to use public transport unfortunately and i wouldnt mind at all if not... all those school monsters in it...

reckon you can take out the word 'school' out of that. the Rat Trap has been set and preserved well before these poor souls are conceived and will be for their progeny.... the challenge is the rest of society is left to tolerate and fund their rehabilitation.... such is democracy.... either that or else we all sheepishly tramp down the well worn trail of facism and eugenics...

(yikes, better add some specific Galway references in here soon before this is closed because it's 'going nowhere')

School, because they are usually wearing uniforms, but not all of them all so bad of course (feel realy sorry for other kids)

Forgot about other horror i have to experience :

-they are usually playing their crap "music" very loud what is killing my ears really and they smell. :(
    (by the way about 80% of people on the bus smell -WHY?) :confused: Do they feel good with themselfs?

(yikes, better add some specific Galway references in here soon before this is closed because it's 'going nowhere')

-well :rolleyes: i was talking about Galway bus of course.

(my sympathy goes to all teachers and their families -it must be hard to live with somebody who not only meet them on the bus, but is locked together for few hours daily -nightmare)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maja, I sooo know where you're coming from. I think I can guess what bus you catch, too.

There is something particularly nasty about the pack-mentality of school children here: even the better behaved kids seem to lose it when they get on a bus. I've seen university students (probably only one year out of school themselves) horrified by the behaviour, not just grumpy old wans like myself.

Yeah Just Mary and we are not grumpy, we are just normal! ;) To be honest when i see and hear nice teenagers i feel like smiling this is so unusual now, ehh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I suppose kids just try to impress their school friends

On the bus it's always cool to sit at the back and try to be as loud as possible
    they don't talk they shout at each other!

they're very annoying and loud but harmless enough

the main problem I have is with a different "clientele" on the bus I used to get home from work

the type that purposely intimidate and cause trouble:mad:

-to me its not harmless anymore, if you have to go through the same crap every day.. and pushing elderly people, throwing rubish and beeing and idiot -thats not harmless, thats wrong, but i guess it could be worse sometimes.

shank? is this Galwegian unspeak for being threatened or assaulted with a knife? To shank or to be shanked. What a revealing choice.

A shank is an improvised weapon, generally one that is easily conceivable and made from very day objects. It's most commonly found in prisons, watch an episode of Oz and stare in amazement as a bar of soap and a razor or a spoon is used to slash open a jugular.

A shank is an improvised weapon, generally one that is easily conceivable and made from very day objects. It's most commonly found in prisons, watch an episode of Oz and stare in amazement as a bar of soap and a razor or a spoon is used to slash open a jugular.

hmm, 'slash open a jugular'. thanks Darko, but rather not spend my precious time on this planet amazed and stupefied by essentially Colosseum-type gore and titillation on TV. i am curious though, if they impaled some poor souls, doused and lit them like candles and they then showed it on TV would people 'stare in amazement' as they sizzled to death? just curious where the line is.

• Advertisement

hmm, 'slash open a jugular'. thanks Darko, but rather not spend my precious time on this planet amazed and stupefied by essentially Colosseum-type gore and titillation on TV. i am curious though, if they impaled some poor souls, doused and lit them like candles and they then showed it on TV would people 'stare in amazement' as they sizzled to death? just curious where the line is.

Yes because one of the most critically acclaimed and respected shows ever produced is little more than cheap violence and titillation. you do realise that extreme violence when show in proper context can be the most affecting viewing experience. To make a show such as Oz about some of the most violent criminals in the penal system and not show the realistic and brutal violence they inflict upon one another would cheapen the entire experience.

Advertisement