Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berries

Options
  • 19-10-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Is it just in Ireland that these are stupidly expensive or am I looking in the wrong places? I'm always coming across recipes, mostly from America, using loads of these and getting them at a good cheap rate too. I'd love to include them more often for breakfast but I'd imagine I'd be broke soon enough if I started that. Tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What sort of berries?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Renn wrote: »
    Tips?
    Get frozen ones, tesco have a pretty big selection now, people have mentioned lidl too. They are much cheaper than fresh ones and usualy in better condition. You can leave them in a bowl to thaw out overnight in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

What sort of berries?

Blueberries/Strawberries in particular.
    rubadub wrote:
    Get frozen ones, tesco have a pretty big selection now, people have mentioned lidl too. They are much cheaper than fresh ones and usualy in better condition. You can leave them in a bowl to thaw out overnight in the fridge.

I've picked up the Tesco frozen mixed selection before but found them to be quite mushy the following morning so I haven't re-purchased them since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Renn wrote: »
    Is it just in Ireland that these are stupidly expensive or am I looking in the wrong places? I'm always coming across recipes, mostly from America, using loads of these and getting them at a good cheap rate too. I'd love to include them more often for breakfast but I'd imagine I'd be broke soon enough if I started that. Tips?

There more expensive here because we don't have a california climate like the states. There alot cheaper when the Irish season is in do blueberries have a shorter season here so air freighted in from around the world most of the time. So perhaps try using some other fruits(sliced apple, oranges) in season instead of the more expensive berries, nutrition wise the air freighted berries wouldnt be as good anyway.

Advertisement