Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Galway chippers so bad?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Ok, so save a couple of chippers who go to the effort of taking the time to prepare something which looks as good as it tastes, (Eddie rockets, Boogaloo Burger).

Why do chipshop owners think that people will just come back for more when all they're serving is crap?

And another thing, aren't we very limited in choice in this city? Fish & Chips, Burger Joints, Kebab house, ... pizza, chinese, or indian?

I've recently been spoiled by watching a couple of episodes of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I just salivated, mouth agape, at the delicious fayre on offer in every one of the featured restaurants.

Maybe once a week, I take a shot at the take away lucky dip, here's a few. Got any other suggestions?

Kettle of fish - great for a while, then got served gone off fish once, and another time, the scrags of chips at the bottom of the tray.
    Eddie Rockets, - can't fault it, especially with a 2for1 voucher or even the 9.99 offer.

Salt and pepper in Salthill isn't bad, but again very rushed, cram it in your mouth and don't look at what you're eating type products.

Charcoal Grill - Gotta say, their lamb shish kebab is one of the nicest I've had.

It's only Tuesday, and I just felt like a rant.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's wrong with Supermacs then? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

seriously? no, I know you're just looking for a rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

simple answer. they all suck unless its 3am on Sunday morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

deargas wrote: »
    Ok, so save a couple of chippers who go to the effort of taking the time to prepare something which looks as good as it tastes, Eddie rockets,

Lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Supermacs have made millionaires out of people and all they ever did was was sell the scrapins of a cows hole with a few spices added and then plonked into a burger bun. Evidently most of their customers survived to go back for more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I think Eddie Rockets is one of the worst chippers in galway, McDonoughs fish and chips is excellent. And there are plenty of places to get good Chinese, Pizza or Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

snubbleste wrote: »
    What's wrong with Supermacs then? :cool:

Dead to me, since they fired the codburger.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

McDonoughs fish and chips is excellent.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I agree the quality of chippers in Galway is shocking, having lived in cork city its very hard to make the adjustment to Galway chippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Ok, so save a couple of chippers who go to the effort of taking the time to prepare something which looks as good as it tastes, (Eddie rockets, Boogaloo Burger).
    Completely disagree that Eddie Rockets should be praised for the quality of their food.

I have been in both Galway branches quite a few times over the last few years (not my choice), so my opinion isn't based on a single visit. I wouldn't be as quick to make the point otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Jack Jordan's in Doughiska is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I live in hope of a Jackie Lennox expansion to Galway:D

I live in hope of a Jackie Lennox expansion to Galway:D

Oh yeah now you are talking, only problem is they franchised out a second one in south terrace in cork and it was horrible. I think there can only be one and that on the bandon road, breast of chicken and chips, i miss it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Oh yeah now you are talking, only problem is they franchised out a second one in south terrace in cork and it was horrible. I think there can only be one and that on the bandon road, breast of chicken and chips, i miss it:(

Even a poor standard Lennox' would beat any of them up here hands down.

I also especially miss the unique method of ordering on the Bandon road aswel; aaaaaaaaaah them were the days.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Vinnies is pretty good I think...for a chipper anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

OP you have obviously never been to Giovannis Oranmore. Be there or be square
    McDonoughs fish and chips is excellent.

Their fish is gone to crap in the last few years, way too greasy.
    inisboffin wrote: »
    Dead to me, since they fired the codburger.:(

Get over it lad :D
    Oh they are dead to me since they axed the codburger! :p
    Unfortunately I now have to boycott Supermacs as they have decided to no longer sell the codburger (the holy grail of supermacs for me for yeeears).
    It was 'too much trouble' to have people wait 7 mins for them to cook it fresh.

Feck that!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

galway chippers are ****, that's just the long and the short of it. Supermacs 10oz burger ftw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Get over it :D

never! :p

It was CF Lennox of Ballyhehane that franchised out the name, not the Lennox of Bandon Road :)

I lived in Galway from March 09 to March 2010, Jack Jordan's as said above is a great chipper, loved it. Not many other actual chippers about, SuperMacs is complete and utter sh1t. Decent Chinese/Thai places in Oranmore. Kettle of Fish I thought was very good, bit pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jjbiker

Lived in the East side of the City until recently and here's my view =

Mario's behind Kings Valley was a good tradational Italian chippy.

Scotty's (now closed) was a top notch diner which the missus and I were a regular every Friday evening. Their special's for a tenner were just the job and you always had a choice of 3.

Eddie Rocket's in Wellpark is un-adulterated overpriced themed horse ****. I wouldn't feed it to my dog's.

Chinese takeaway in Ballybane(forget its name) was grand. Never got too excited by it but it was never bad either.

I live in Loughrea now and must say we have a selection of good quality take away's/restaurant's but of course "knackermac's" is slap bang in the middle of main street!!

• Advertisement

jjbiker wrote: »
    "knackermac's"

Tis good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

Eddie rockets

The worst, most foul place to serve food I've ever been to. I gave it the benefit of the doubt a number of times, and each time, without fail, I've been physically sick afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Just ate in Eddie Rocket's today. I always thought they had decent food. Unfortunately the premises is dirty, grotty and in need of a good bulldozer. Got the aforementioned €10 deal - two burgers, two chips and two drinks for a tenner can't be beat in terms of quantity.

Oh and it was between two people by the way :pac:

Can you get a doggie bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IMHO, it's not a problem that's limited to Galway.

The only decent fish and chips I've had in the last three years were while I was at a wedding (back home) last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

men's loo in the eglinton street Eddies is the worst bathroom in a resturant I've ever seen, there's no ****ing seat!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Try Vinnies in Dominick Street - excellent chips (dare I say even better than Mcdonaghs) and try the kebab house across the street for the best kebabs in town - but then again that area is the best part of town overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Kettle of Fish is great. (Take their time and a bit more pricey than some places but the food is really really good.)

Also Charcoal Grill burgers - mmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Try Vinnies in Dominick Street - excellent chips (dare I say even better than Mcdonaghs) and try the kebab house across the street for the best kebabs in town - but then again that area is the best part of town overall.

Really sorry, but it was Vinnies which prompted my original post. I ate there on Monday night. Now I normally just get their chips, which I have to say are just top notch. But I made the mistake of ordering a 1/4 pounder.

So I got a frozen burger, which had been precooked and was just refried on the hotplate. Then it was undignified further by the splosh of ketchup on one side with a few poorly chopped onions, and something white (I'm guessing the cheapest mayonnaise which money just can't buy) with some severly chopped lettuce.

It was the pits. I dumped half of it when I got home.

You may well criticise Eddie Rockets, but just for me, go in and sit at the bar and watch the time and effort the chef takes to prepare you a burger. Try a smoke stack on for size. Just the best. I have to say I'm not a fan of the chips, but the burgers are second to none.

Eddie's is still the only take away I've seen who prepare their burgers from fresh meat, none of your junk frozen frisby burgers.

Thanks for the tip on Doughiska. I've seen a couple of posts for Jack Jordans before so I'll check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Really sorry, but it was Vinnies which prompted my original post. I ate there on Monday night. Now I normally just get their chips, which I have to say are just top notch. But I made the mistake of ordering a 1/4 pounder.

So I got a frozen burger, which had been precooked and was just refried on the hotplate. Then it was undignified further by the splosh of ketchup on one side with a few poorly chopped onions, and something white (I'm guessing the cheapest mayonnaise which money just can't buy) with some severly chopped lettuce.

It was the pits. I dumped half of it when I got home.

You may well criticise Eddie Rockets, but just for me, go in and sit at the bar and watch the time and effort the chef takes to prepare you a burger. Try a smoke stack on for size. Just the best. I have to say I'm not a fan of the chips, but the burgers are second to none.

Eddie's is still the only take away I've seen who prepare their burgers from fresh meat, none of your junk frozen frisby burgers.

Thanks for the tip on Doughiska. I've seen a couple of posts for Jack Jordans before so I'll check them out.

Your are right. The burgers are crap. Get the Mexican chips and two pieces of chicken and you'll be happy. Their chicken seems..tastier than most.

Advertisement