Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Galway chippers so bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Kettle of Fish is great. (Take their time and a bit more pricey than some places but the food is really really good.)

Yes, as I said in my op, I used to be a fan of the Kettle. Then they dicked me around on 3 separate ocassions. I've got to share; one evening I ordered a take away of smoked haddock, usually gorgeous. When I got home and open the bag, well it just stank. Like raw fish lying on the pier for 3 days stink. And I've smelt enough of it to know. If it smells like fish it ain't fresh.

So I went back, gave out, and was asked if I'd like another? FFS. Then the guy in the back said there's no smoked haddock left. So it turns out I probably got the last fillet in the bucket. Well it must have been a slow slow week because what I got just wasn't fresh. Not even close.

So that was the end of my love affair with the kettle of fish. (There was another incident involving chips so I gave them 3 strikes).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Try Vinnies in Dominick Street - excellent chips (dare I say even better than Mcdonaghs) and try the kebab house across the street for the best kebabs in town - but then again that area is the best part of town overall.

Really hope your not on about Kebab House, as their kebabs are muck. Granted there huge but still in terms of taste it doesn't even come close to Charcoal which I also don't think is that great also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I used to give out about the chippers when i moved to galway first. couldnt understand why there seemed to be so few. But so far ive grown to love vinnies and norios at gleann na ri, they're damn tasty. although had several bad experiences with the chipper on the tuam road in liosban. But thats closed now! So all is well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I used to give out about the chippers when i moved to galway first. couldnt understand why there seemed to be so few. But so far ive grown to love vinnies and norios at gleann na ri, they're damn tasty. although had several bad experiences with the chipper on the tuam road in liosban. But thats closed now! So all is well!

What about Norios on the Headford Road? I tried it once and wasn't overly impressed...seemed to lack taste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

deargas wrote: »
    Try Vinnies in Dominick Street - excellent chips (dare I say even better than Mcdonaghs) and try the kebab house across the street for the best kebabs in town - but then again that area is the best part of town overall.

Really sorry, but it was Vinnies which prompted my original post. I ate there on Monday night. Now I normally just get their chips, which I have to say are just top notch. But I made the mistake of ordering a 1/4 pounder.

So I got a frozen burger, which had been precooked and was just refried on the hotplate. Then it was undignified further by the splosh of ketchup on one side with a few poorly chopped onions, and something white (I'm guessing the cheapest mayonnaise which money just can't buy) with some severly chopped lettuce.

It was the pits. I dumped half of it when I got home.

You may well criticise Eddie Rockets, but just for me, go in and sit at the bar and watch the time and effort the chef takes to prepare you a burger. Try a smoke stack on for size. Just the best. I have to say I'm not a fan of the chips, but the burgers are second to none.

Eddie's is still the only take away I've seen who prepare their burgers from fresh meat, none of your junk frozen frisby burgers.

Thanks for the tip on Doughiska. I've seen a couple of posts for Jack Jordans before so I'll check them out.

so the chips are fabulous in Vinnies, but not the burgers and the burgers are fabulous in eddie rockets but not the chips. Here's an idea - go to Vinnies for Chips and go to Rockets for a burger. :rolleyes: no pleasing some people.

• Advertisement

s_carnage wrote: »
    Really hope your not on about Kebab House, as their kebabs are muck. Granted there huge but still in terms of taste it doesn't even come close to Charcoal which I also don't think is that great also.

ya I am on about the kebab house in dominic street - their chicken kebabs are fabulous - I've had charcoal and they are just so bland compared to kebab house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

When it's busy enough in Vinnies, the chips are grand. Fresh and decent sized, but when it is anyway quiet, at least half the time, I have gotten 'dregs' chips. Now I know some people like some crunchy bits, but this is over a quarter of the bags in scraps. But they do a fishburger, so I will keep trying them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Some observations:

Kebab House isn't a patch on the Charcoal Grill.

McDonagh's starting going downhill a long time ago. Conlon's betters them for fish and chips.

Vinnie's does a nice Mexican chips.

There was a lovely Italian chipper in Barna, can't recall the name as I don't live in Galway anymore.

so the chips are fabulous in Vinnies, but not the burgers and the burgers are fabulous in eddie rockets but not the chips. Here's an idea - go to Vinnies for Chips and go to Rockets for a burger. :rolleyes: no pleasing some people.

Have done that plenty of times as a matter of fact. Pick up 2 burgers in Eddies, then on the way home, get some chips from Vinnies.

My original question related more to the alternatives, or lack thereof.
    So far, it's Jack Jordans. Poor, pityfully poor isn't it.

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Some observations:

Kebab House isn't a patch on the Charcoal Grill.

McDonagh's starting going downhill a long time ago. Conlon's betters them for fish and chips.

Vinnie's does a nice Mexican chips.

There was a lovely Italian chipper in Barna, can't recall the name as I don't live in Galway anymore.

morellies is the one in barna I think and it is just average.
    Can't beat Kebab House in my opinion
    Vinnie's chips are fab
    :D

• Advertisement

Have done that plenty of times as a matter of fact. Pick up 2 burgers in Eddies, then on the way home, get some chips from Vinnies.

My original question related more to the alternatives, or lack thereof.
    So far, it's Jack Jordans. Poor, pityfully poor isn't it.

cant say Ive ever had Jack Jordans.
    but on thinking of it the chips in Roberto's are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

inisboffin wrote: »
    When it's busy enough in Vinnies, the chips are grand. Fresh and decent sized, but when it is anyway quiet, at least half the time, I have gotten 'dregs' chips. Now I know some people like some crunchy bits, but this is over a quarter of the bags in scraps. But they do a fishburger, so I will keep trying them:D

I agree totally about the chips. They are the only place in Galway City that have what I consider "chipper" chips, i.e. thick chunky chips (not generic skinny ones like some places) and you get them in a brown paper bag!
    However, the majority of the time I've been to Vinnies, it's been empty and I get the crap chips that have been sitting there for ages.

When Marios used to be on Shop Street a few years ago, they were pretty good imo.

McDonaghs Fish isn't that nice anymore. And I wouldn't include Supermacs and Eddie Rockets as "chippers" in the traditional Irish sense.

I'm from Kilkenny and I can think of about 8 or 9 chippers in the city that are really nice, great chips, burgers, and battered sausages especially.
    But I find it really strange in Galway that there are very few local chippers around, and no good ones at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What about Norios on the Headford Road? I tried it once and wasn't overly impressed...seemed to lack taste!

Never tried that one. hmmm always thought norios at gleann na ri were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I seriously don't understand how anyone likes Supermac's chips, to me they taste like tissue paper. I like Vinnie's chips and Kebab House's are nice (or seem nice at 3 in the morning anyway). Mc Donagh's are ok, but I don't think they're as nice as they used to be. I still haven't tried Boogaloo Burger, is it any good?

I never get all the hating on Eddie Rockets, sure it's a little more expensive than some places but it's really nice. And their burgers are actually big, filling things instead of those crappy flat, frozen, squished yokes you get most places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

I love supermacs chips! I'm never disappointed... when I was travelling a couple of years ago the only thing I missed from home was a snackbox... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

supermacs is pure muck

salt & pepper, kettle of fish and vinnies (spiceburger;)) are the best for proper chippers

must try jack jordens heard good things about the place on KFC thread!

I live in hope of a Jackie Lennox expansion to Galway:D

I never get people raving on about lennox's, its like people raving about mcdonaghs in galway. The chips are absolute muck, you might as well order a pot of grease, the burgers are fine but nothing special. Id much prefer a supermacs or mcdonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Supermacs Cross street is the best supermacs in town always damn good and if your lucky you could pull in there too lol

Salt and pepper is a bit hit and miss, I like the burgers and chicken but sometimes they re-fry the chips (Alot of chippers seem to do this with must be waste not want not).

Vinnys though down downnick street is the haute cuisine of chips

Tasty Bites up in ballybane will sell you a kebab that would feed a family of 5 for a week and i found it much better than the charcoal grill muck.

Havnt been to McDonaghs for fish and chips in a while dunno is it just me but the last time I was there during the summer the cod I got was more like a goldfish, the fish portion has definitely shrunk over the years but the price has went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Does any place other than supermacs do good tasty chicken? Not nuggets but actual chicken pieces?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Does any place other than supermacs do good tasty chicken? Not nuggets but actual chicken pieces?

Vinnies...The hot Wings in KFC are good and Sweet Chilli Chicken Wings in Golden Mountain..very nice!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Would love to open my own burger Joint, you now the type you see on diners, driveins and dives, fresh beef, everything made daily and sell them for a cheap price.

Great program isn't it? It's not that hard to do a good burger. Vinnies charge 3.60 for a 1/4 pounder. I wouldn't even have a problem parting with and extra couple of euro for the joy of eating something which actually looks and tastes good.

Great program isn't it? It's not that hard to do a good burger. Vinnies charge 3.60 for a 1/4 pounder. I wouldn't even have a problem parting with and extra couple of euro for the joy of eating something which actually looks and tastes good.

why don't ye just make your own then at home - let' see - a quarter lb of minced steak would be roughly 1 Euro tops. bit of salad - about 50 c for lettuce tomato and onion - slice of cheese 20 cent, and a nice roll 50 cent. You could have your perfect burger for approx 2 Euro, made fresh, no additives. Beats a a greasy spoon any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

half pounder in kebab hut is 4 quid and is nicer imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I see this place is up for lease again
    http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=63213

Great location but 115,000 per year dunno about that, you would have to sell a hell of a lot of burgers to pay that plus insurance, rates, staff etc etc.
    At that price i dont think its feasable for anybody to make a go of it there.
    Just did a rough estimate of the costs to run this place per year, 410,000 Eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

not a chipper but I love the "salt & chilli shredded chicken" starter from Curry house.
    It's too big for a starter but oh dear god it's tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

With talk drifting towards burgers...Boogaloo Burger off cross st has to be winner.

10euro burgers, but my word.

UPDATE: Ok, so I took the advice of some posters here and headed to Jack Jordans at the weekend.

A bulk bought box of meat patties just isn't my thing. I'm after something like Eddie Rockets, where the starting ingredients are fresh, a big hunk of fresh ground beef is the only starting option.

Jack Jordans burger itself, qp with cheese was presented nicely, tomato, onion, lettuce and ketchup, but a poor meat as a starter is never going to get my thumbs up.

And so the search continues.

Favourites so far are Eddie Rockets and Boogaloo burger.
    Oh, btw I just saw that Boogaloo are doing 2for1 on burgers, Mondays and Tuesdays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

magentas wrote: »
    not a chipper but I love the "salt & chilli shredded chicken" starter from Curry house.
    It's too big for a starter but oh dear god it's tasty!

3k a week (+ €16,371.31 a yea rin rates) That's retarded, whoever takes it at that place is going to be broke fairly quick.

Place needs a complete refit. If I got my hands on the place and had enough money I'd gut it, completely change the current layout (as much as possible) and have the top two floors are seating and the bottom floor kitchen and prep area with the basement as storage and an office.

The location is perfect for somethings like a Nandos or Wagamamma or even an independent place like say Mustard. Quality, affordable bistro food. If you somehow managed to make a small take-away outlet in the entry area for late night sales (11pm onward), even better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

UPDATE: Ok, so I took the advice of some posters here and headed to Jack Jordans at the weekend.

A bulk bought box of meat patties just isn't my thing. I'm after something like Eddie Rockets, where the starting ingredients are fresh, a big hunk of fresh ground beef is the only starting option.

Jack Jordans burger itself, qp with cheese was presented nicely, tomato, onion, lettuce and ketchup, but a poor meat as a starter is never going to get my thumbs up.

And so the search continues.

Favourites so far are Eddie Rockets and Boogaloo burger.
    Oh, btw I just saw that Boogaloo are doing 2for1 on burgers, Mondays and Tuesdays.

If you like fresh burgers, go to mustard, nicest I've had in town by a fair bit.
    Eddies aren't bad burgers in fairness but they aren't amazing either. Over priced at normal rates they charge but with the student offer (2x burgers, fries and coke for €10) they are really good value.

Advertisement