Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Novice XC, Mullingar

Options
  • 19-10-2010 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Anyone else running this on Sunday? I've done zero xcountry this season -so looking forward to a rude awakening. Any idea what the course is like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

asimonov wrote: »
    Anyone else running this on Sunday? I've done zero xcountry this season -so looking forward to a rude awakening. Any idea what the course is like?

If its on in Belvedere house its a great XC course with some decent hills one in particular. One of the proper XC courses in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ecoli wrote: »
    If its on in Belvedere house its a great XC course with some decent hills one in particular. One of the proper XC courses in the country

Is it through the wooded area in Belvedere do you know?

mloc123 wrote: »

Again havent done it in years but from what i remember the hill that i am referring to is beside the Enterpretative Centre?? and the course follows to the top of the hill and proceeds into the field beside that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

excuse my ignorance folks...to run this race do you need to be placed (top 3) in the county novice xc race of your club county? So if you got top three in the recent dublin novice, you go to represent Dublin? Is that how it works? I really should know :o

excuse my ignorance folks...to run this race do you need to be placed (top 3) in the county novice xc race of your club county? So if you got top three in the recent dublin novice, you go to represent Dublin? Is that how it works? I really should know :o

No most XC counts Dublin as its own province i think you can enter as long as you havent won a provincial (or national) senior medal you are eligible to run

http://www.athleticsleinster.com/images/entry_forms/leinster_xc_booklet_2010.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Thanks ecoli, sounds like a good course (if you're not running it) - misty from what I've heard there's a decent range of standard - it's not all winners by any means. Might be a good tune up for sub3 the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

asimonov wrote: »
    Might be a good tune up for sub3 the next day.

ha ha yeah perfect warm up. Nah I just want to find out what the setup is. Nice place to visit, should be a good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ecoli wrote: »
    Again havent done it in years but from what i remember the hill that i am referring to is beside the Enterpretative Centre?? and the course follows to the top of the hill and proceeds into the field beside that

ah, the 'heart breaker'. I did a duathlon there in April, I think we ran that hill 4 times in total... If I ever see it again...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

The course is out the front of Belvedere, not in the wooded area. There's one sharp hill in particular that'll knock the wind out of you and most people will have to climb it a few times. There's also one drag of a climb that's been responsible for settling a few races.

Good course though. You'll know you've done a cross country race when you finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

it starts at the ring fort and it goes into the back field where you'll meet a short sharp drag uphill then back to the front field and turn right down towards the round about. then theres a long gradual climb that'll keep you honest and back around to the ring fort. 2k a lap.
    not for the faint hearted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

ah, the 'heart breaker'. I did a duathlon there in April, I think we ran that hill 4 times in total... If I ever see it again...:eek:

No overlap between the two courses AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

There's a full information including the different courses for the different categories on Athletics Leinster main page: http://www.athleticsleinster.com/

The only requirement for running the Leinster Novice is that you are a registered member of an AAI club and the only way to disqualify yourself is by winning an individual medal at Leinster Novice level or above. The rules are summarised at Athletics Wexford: http://www.athleticswexford.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=330:eligibility-rules-for-novice-and-intermediate-county-races&catid=4:about-wexford-athletics&Itemid=2

Field strength varies, sometimes it's stronger than the Dublin but often not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

I ran this today, great venue for xcountry, the unseasonal blue skies and sunshine helped.

The novice course was 6k and was a pretty testing championship course with a few sharp steep hills and enough twists and turns to keep you interested.

Congrats to Mullingar for putting on a great day, and god bless our motorway system!

Advertisement