Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in with gf, what happens if it doesn't work out?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Im moving in with my gf next week. We've paid a 'non-refundable' security deposit of 500 yesterday and signed a 6 month lease. We pay the balance when we move in. Now it is actually happening I am seriously starting to get cold feet when I think about moving in together. If I could get the security deposit back I would seriously consider pulling out. Is there any circumstances under which the letting agency would refund us the security deposit?

Anyway, say we move in together and it is not working out and we break up, can we just get people in to replace us or whats the story? This kind of thing must happen alot, Im just wondering where we stand if I cant stick it after a few weeks and need to get out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

normally. get someone in, or lose deposit.

have a chat with the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

I think you have a right to be concerned if you are more concerned about the money that your gf. You're gonna have to sit this one out i think. Might work out just fine for you both.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its not actually as bad as it first might seem! Takes a bit of getting used to but make sure and give yourself space and youll probably be okay.

Is it a one or two bedroom apartment? 6 months isnt a very long time in the grander scheme of things; worst case scenario and you break up a couple of months down the way then one of you could always move into the other bedroom and just ride out the lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Is there any circumstances under which the letting agency would refund us the security deposit?

Not really, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

djimi wrote: »
    ride out the lease?

Excellent choice of words :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

3DataModem wrote: »
    Not really, unfortunately.

Not true. You can reassign the lease or have the landlord refuse a request to reassign. Both are easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Scambuster wrote: »
    Not true. You can reassign the lease or have the landlord refuse a request to reassign. Both are easily done.

I take from the OP that he has not signed any lease. He has just handed an agent €500 as a security deposit in advance of taking up a tenancy.

If he doesn't take up tenancy, bye bye deposit.

If he does take up tenancy, then he has options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

Wrong again! 6 month lease signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

I'm in the pretty much in the same boat OP, cant wait to move out of home but at the same time i'm working myself up rightly over ifs and buts.

Arguments have started over which apartment..... but i will have my way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Scambuster wrote: »

No they're not easily done at all. Do you not know how difficult it is to get tenants these days?

OP give it a chance, 6 months isn't long at all. It's highly unlikely that you'd be able to get out of it penalty free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

maybe you are not ready to move in,6 months is not a long time to live with someone.its not a big committment.

Advertisement