Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord charging tenants different prices for similar room

Options
  • 19-10-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

A guy moved into house last week & he is paying less rent per month for a similar type of room.

Landlord obviously cut the rent to rent the room.

I have no intention of paying higher rent than the new guy.

Has anyone been in a similar position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Get on to your landord and negotiate the rent downwards. If he says no then tell him you'll be off.

Renters market and all that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 galwaystudent

If the renting market caused prices to rise and the new guy rented the room at a higher rate than you would you be asking the landlord could you pay more rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

fat__tony wrote: »
    Get on to your landord and negotiate the rent downwards. If he says no then tell him you'll be off.

If he's signed a lease with a price on it then that's just as unfair and annoying as if the landlord one day decided to charge him a higher rent, cos his landlord mate down the road got a higher price for a similar room he's renting out.

Hopefully, he'd let you leave and keep your deposit if you did that.

In any case, same topic discussed here last week - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056046082

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres not much you can do if you have signed a lease. There are a whole lot of variables that can affect how much the landlord is charging the new tenant, and frankly its none of your business how much they are paying. The terms of your lease, which you signed and agreed to, have not changed, so youre not in much of a position to demand that you pay less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You agreed to pay that amount, you pay that amount. Unless your lease is due to expire and you can negotiate, or the landlord is willing, you can't do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

There is no lease.

I have no intention of paying any thing more than the other guy.

And what do you expect will happen when you go to your landlord whinging that the other fellow is paying less and you have no intention of paying more than him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I'll give him a chance as to how he can justify charging differant prices for the same room.

A shop keeper cannot do the same for a can of beans.

I don't have a lease - so I am not stuck there.

Its not a can of beans, its letting a room.

There could be any number of reasons why the new tenant is paying less; for instance when you moved in there could have been 10 people willing to move in, whereas now the landlord might be struggling to find someone and had to drop the price.

The landlord is under no obligation to match your rent to that of other renters. By all means say it to them and see what they say, but if it was me I would not be expecting too good of a response tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Cork wrote: »
    I'll give him a chance as to how he can justify charging differant prices for the same room.

A shopkeeper can charge whatever they want for a can of beans, as long as the buyer accepts the price. You accepted the cost, if you don't have a lease, then you have a part 4 tenancy, and need to give notice if you intend to move out, www.threshold.ie has the details.

And he doesn't have to justify anything to anyone about the price he charges, let alone someone "giving him a chance", the real world is going to eat you for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

astrofool wrote: »
    A shopkeeper can charge whatever they want for a can of beans, as long as the buyer accepts the price. You accepted the cost, if you don't have a lease, then you have a part 4 tenancy, and need to give notice if you intend to move out, www.threshold.ie has the details.

And he doesn't have to justify anything to anyone about the price he charges, let alone someone "giving him a chance", the real world is going to eat you for breakfast.

so would you stay on in a room and pay more?

The landlord doesnt have to drop his price but if he doesnt the OP doesn't have to stay on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Seriously, the guy has no lease.
    All he has to do is give the minimum amount of notice legally and he can walk.

Best of luck OP.
    If you are speaking to him in person, have your letter of notice ready to hand to him.
    Ask him to back date it to when the other guy moved in.

gl gl!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

astrofool wrote: »
    if you don't have a lease, then you have a part 4 tenancy, and need to give notice if you intend to move out, www.threshold.ie has the details.

And he doesn't have to justify anything to anyone about the price he charges, l.

A part 4 tenancy does not arise unless the tenant has been there 6 months and serves a notice on the landlord claiming a part 4 tenancy. In this case the o/p only seems to have the lease of a bedroom an if so is not covered by the Residential Tenancies Act at all. No part 4 tenancy can ever come into being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Ask him to back date it to when the other guy moved in.

The OP can ask but I would be amazed at any LL that would agree to that. The OP agreed to pay the rent asked for the room regardless of what ever lease or not they signed. The LL appears to have been unable to rent another room in the property for the same price, this could be down to several factors, less demand and more rooms in the area for rent since the OP moved in, the rooms are different in something other then size [placement in the house, decor, less storage etc etc] to warrent the lower rent - really doesn't matter. The OP's business is between them and LL and what happens between the LL and other tenants is none of their business. As others have said if the other person was paying more would you look to have your rent increased to match?

Now it can't hurt to ask and the LL very likely will just lower the rent rather then having to find a new tenant but if I was the LL and the OP started asking me to back date the rent decrease I'd tell them to go jump. If the OP has no lease and is only renting a room they are free to leave but it works both ways and the LL is free to kick them out at any time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

There is no lease.

I have no intention of paying any thing more than the other guy.

you sound like the landlord is cheating you, and he's not. You should realise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

You are paying above the market rate then. Sort it out.

Scambuster wrote: »
    You are paying above the market rate then. Sort it out.

They are paying what the market rate was when they agreed to rent the room, again as pointed out had the rent gone up would the OP be expected to pay more?

The OP can ask the LL to reduce the rent but the LL is not required to reduce it. Theres a good chance they will just not to have to bother getting someone else in but people seem to be implying that the LL has taken advantage or is doing something wrong. The OP, I assumed viewed the room, and was happy to pay the rent stated by the LL, the fact that someone else has rented a similar room [note similar does not mean the rooms are of equal value] from the LL at a different rent is between the LL and the other tenant.

ztoical wrote: »
    They are paying what the market rate was when they agreed to rent the room, again as pointed out had the rent gone up would the OP be expected to pay more?

The OP can ask the LL to reduce the rent but the LL is not required to reduce it. Theres a good chance they will just not to have to bother getting someone else in but people seem to be implying that the LL has taken advantage or is doing something wrong. The OP, I assumed viewed the room, and was happy to pay the rent stated by the LL, the fact that someone else has rented a similar room [note similar does not mean the rooms are of equal value] from the LL at a different rent is between the LL and the other tenant.

the landlord hasnt done anything wrong but the tenant would be silly to keep paying him the same price

Bob Z wrote: »
    the landlord hasnt done anything wrong but the tenant would be silly to keep paying him the same price

Never said they should esp as they've stated they aren't tied into a lease so they should ask and move out if they aren't happy but there seemed to be a implication from some posters on this thread and on the other thread on the same topic that the LL was trying to cheat or trick the OP.

Never said they should esp as they've stated they aren't tied into a lease so they should ask and move out if they aren't happy but there seemed to be a implication from some posters on this thread and on the other thread on the same topic that the LL was trying to cheat or trick the OP.

I don't know about any other thread but no one is saying that here. in fact a lot of posters are taking the landlord side

• Advertisement

Bob Z wrote: »
    I don't know about any other thread but no one is saying that here. in fact a lot of posters are taking the landlord side

Other thread is linked in the 4th post on this thread.

But they are not paying the market rate. And yes landlords often raise the rents if that is what they think the market will accept.

The market rate is what people are paying, he's paying X amount so that's the market rate. Simples!!

(The "Market Rate" requirement was to prevent Landlords increasing the value of the rent after a year to something a tenant couldn't reasonably pay, not the average)

Giblet wrote: »
    The market rate is what people are paying, he's paying X amount so that's the market rate. Simples!!

(The "Market Rate" requirement was to prevent Landlords increasing the value of the rent after a year to something a tenant couldn't reasonably pay, not the average)

No he is paying above the market rate. The landlord went to the market and thats what he got.

As he did with Cork, and he hasn't adjusted the rent downwards because he doesn't have to, only if he looks for an increase above it in a new lease would it be seen as unreasonable, but he is paying the agreed rate. Cork, if you aren't happy with paying more, talk to the landlord, but he is under no obligation to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Scambuster wrote: »
    No he is paying above the market rate. The landlord went to the market and thats what he got.

He went to the market and got the OP too. He didn't snag him from a low hanging vine.

Are any of you guys familiar with the concept of time?

F(x) != F(x+t) in this case.

Yes, and t time ago, Cork agreed to pay x amount, which he still pays to this day.
    Again, the landlord is under NO obligation to offer LOWER rent than has been agreed to, but Cork can seek lower rent after 12 months and ask for rent more in line with "Market Rates". It relates to new rate offered, not any previous rent offered and agreed to (Say if the landlord decides to up the rent by 50%).
    Try stay on topic Scambuster using facts, not manic assertions trying to back up some sort of point. Try reading the PRTB guidelines on rent adjustment relating to "Market Rates"
    PRTB wrote:
    After each 12 months of a tenancy, tenants, as well as land-
    lords, can seek a rent review. Reviews can take place no more
    frequently than once a year unless there has been a substan-
    tial change in the nature of the accommodation in the interim.

Tenants can seek a rent review even where no provision for
    this is made in any tenancy agreement. Tenants must be noti-
    fied in writing of the new rent at least 28 days before it is to
    take effect. Tenants who consider that the new rent is above
    the going market rate can refer the matter to the PRTB before
    it is due to take effect or within 28 days from the receipt of
    the notice, whichever is the later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

where do ye live :P

if you have no lease (ye should) the landlord should change the rent if you threaten to walk

• Advertisement

Who said he was under obligation. He might be obliged to when his tenant asks and he either has to accept or get a new tenant for the current Market rate. Or he can just keep it empty and not let it for less than it's worth.

Advertisement