Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord charging tenants different prices for similar room

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Scambuster wrote: »
    5 months then. Or 20 because it doesn't matter. Go back and read my little time equation. Rents rise and fall over time.

If I was renting the sane place for the last ten years in Dublin should u continue renting at the same price because it was fair at the time? No dunce, because I would be getting ripped off.

1 week ban for personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

5 months then. Or 20 because it doesn't matter. Go back and read my little time equation. Rents rise and fall over time.

If I was renting the sane place for the last ten years in Dublin should u continue renting at the same price because it was fair at the time? No dunce, because I would be getting ripped off.

If you were renting the same place with a fixed term lease in place then you would be intitled to one rent review once a year as part of that lease. If you had just had a rent review and a week later all the rents in your area dropped by 100 euro you would be locked into paying the rent you agreed for the remainder of your lease. You would not be able to demand that your rent be lowered when ever you saw another house on the street rented for a different amount. If you have you a 4 part tennacny or a rent a room scheme there is different set ups in place regarding rent review. If you can't just change the amount being being paid when you feel like it why would people even bother advertisting the rent? Surely it would just be 'pay what ever you feel the property was worth this month'.

There are lots of cases of people with 4 part tennacny set ups who've been in properties so long they are paying 1970's or earlier rents for massive houses that would rent for 5 or even 10 times what they are paying and there's nothing the LL can do. This concept of market rate means nothing, it is the type of rental agreement you have with the LL that effects your rent and your rights.

The OP does not a have a lease, without more details on exactly what type of rental agreement they do have, the best advice is go ask, LL is not obliged to lower rent and as the OP does not have a fixed term lease, depending on the rental situation, they are not obliged to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

He can be forced to drop the rent fairly easily.

I'm still waiting for you to provide links and/or documentation to support this and your other points.

Basically the tenant agreed a rent with the landlord. All happy. Then the OP finds out that the new tenant is paying less than them and is unhappy. Fair enough. There is nothing stopping the OP approaching the landlord and asking them to reduce the rent. However, the landlord has no obligation to do so. Therefore the OP can choose to stay and pay the higher rent or give adequate notice and leave the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Sorry, just saw the mod's note. That'll teach me to read through the entire thread before replying! :o

Advertisement