Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to avoid been ripped off on Gearbox

• 19-10-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Hi just have my car a month now and found out the gearbox needs to be conditioned.I have rang numerous places and got quotes but don't know whether I am going to ripped off:)As you see I am a woman and know nothing about gearboxes so I have been given the Oh thats a big job or you would be better getting a new gear box or maybe you best scrapping it :)I know nobody who knows about cars except my mechanic and he quoted over 800e to do it depending on the state of gear box.He was the one who confirmed it needs to be reconditioned.Is 800e reasonable?The lowest I got was 650e from a place in Tallaght.Should I get the car properly checked in a Suzuki garage to confirm nothing else is wrong? So as to avoid getting it done and then get a phone call to say something else needs to be replaced.Just don't want to end up paying more than I have to;)
    Any advice welcome
    Thank you
    ps its a 2001 suzuki Ignis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The chances are the Suzuki mechanics won't know much more than your own mechanic, don't waste your time. Its recommended that you replace the clutch and release bearing also if they are less than good condition.

Tell us symptoms here and we might be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Whining noise when I engage clutch either going fast or slow
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭Bigus

If its not bothering you drive away until it gets a whole lot worse. if you're worried about it letting you down on the side of the road, the chances are it will get a lot noisier before this happens.
    More than likely you could get two years out of it as is. Give us more hints as to the symptoms.

going through the gears up or down get this whining noise gets longer when I tend to slow down like a dynamo :D Sorry trying my best to explain it goes into gear no problem just the noise when I change gear or slow down,just got new brakes installed from a suzuki dealer but he sais it was fine a great little car you got there :D I sold my precious other car to get funds for my sons college fees and now wish I hadnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What is your car worth? Id be wary of spending 800 on it.

• Advertisement

Just keep driving it for the timebeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Bigus wrote: »
    If its not bothering you drive away until it gets a whole lot worse. if you're worried about it letting you down on the side of the road, the chances are it will get a lot noisier before this happens.
    More than likely you could get two years out of it as is. Give us more hints as to the symptoms.

I did this for 20k km until the noise was noticeable when driving. If you can get it done do. You could wind up doing irreparable damage to the box if you do. Quote seems ok from my experience to be honest. Clutch kit would be a good idea too while it's all disassembled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

2152large.jpg

Seriously though, e650 is ok for a recon. You could try a breaker though.

Why spend 650 when the car isn't worth 2k , if the gearbox goes so what , buy a secondhand one in two years time or scrap the car then. if it goes before im wrong ...
    sure its worth the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Why spend 650 when the car isn't worth 2k

The car may not hold much monetary value but it fairness it could be priceless for the OP

A repair would work out cheaper than a replacement in the long run as long as the car is in otherwise good condition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Make sure the quotes your getting include vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭d.lally2

I have a gearbox problem myself at the moment. I bought a new car and still have the old one which grinds when going to third from fourth. My mechanic told me it's the synchro worn between the gears. Asked him how much to fix, told me it's an insanely complicated job to strip a gearbox and fix that or recondition it in your case as special tools are needed.

Best thing to do in my opinion (I'll probably end up doing this myself with my old car) is to try and buy a second hand gearbox from a scrapyard, for hopefully the €150 - €200 mark and my mechanic told me €80 to change it. My mechanic is a family friend so I trust his advice. Try and get one from a crashed one with low enough milage and maybe get some sort of guarantee it will work or not grind as it is impossible apparently to know a good gearbox from a bad one when buying.

I could try and get away with selling it as it is but rather just have it right and have no hassle! Hope this helps and if anyone else agrees or disagrees please reply!!

Bettyboop wrote: »
    Hi just have my car a month now and found out the gearbox needs to be conditioned.

Did you buy privately or from a dealer ?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Did you buy privately or from a dealer ?

Private seller on here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Bumping your own old thread? Still like that I assume, did the cold make it any different?

Before the rebuild (which I also think is dead money) Id have the gearbox oil changed and possibly an additive added. Are you absolutely sure the noise if the gearbox and not the diff?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Bumping your own old thread? Still like that I assume, did the cold make it any different?

Before the rebuild (which I also think is dead money) Id have the gearbox oil changed and possibly an additive added. Are you absolutely sure the noise if the gearbox and not the diff?

Thank you for your reply
    I have had it in 5 main garages from wicklow to walkinstown,the oil change you mentioned was funnily enough mentioned to me,the diff was mentioned by 3 mechanics also.Now I aint a genius on cars as you can tell but 2 said a new gearbox and the rest said a reconditioning of my gearbox tbh I thought new gearbox was my only solution .The weather hasn't affected it but still get that whine its not too loud.Wasl told to just keep driving it and I will know when its bad when the noise gets louder.Have contacted a few dismantlers for a gearbox and 200e is what they quoted,thing is I don' know what questions to ask them about box!:confused:I am in a dilemma should I continue driving as is or get it repaired before I do more damage?
    Once again I appreciate all the advice been given.

Like i said originally, keep on driving it. And keep in touch with dismantlers and insist on seeing the car and mileage that your replacement box comes out of.

Like i said originally, keep on driving it. And keep in touch with dismantlers and insist on seeing the car and mileage that your replacement box comes out of.

Thank you Bigus
    I have decided to get the gear oil changed with the best one on the market
    it may not work but if it does its a cheap solution for the time been.
    Would appreciate any suggestion on the best gear oil and additive;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...if the oil doesn't work, I'd go for the used 'box for 200, tbh.

My mech told me mine was possibly on the way out, long-term, and advised if I could, to source a new/used 'box, as it wouldn't pay to strip & fix it.

So, ebay is your friend, and I got a spare one now, and it's in a crate, under the bench in the garage, waiting for the old one to give up !! That was nearly a year ago !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ya keep driving away untill you can't. I had an issue with a gearbox on a previous car. Started about 2 years ago and it's still driving away grand.

• Advertisement

gpf101 wrote: »
    Ya keep driving away untill you can't. I had an issue with a gearbox on a previous car. Started about 2 years ago and it's still driving away grand.

oh you all made my xmas
    Thank you
    And a happy xmas to you and your families.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

give these a try www.naasgearboxcentre.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

give these a try www.naasgearboxcentre.com

Give them a try if you want to be doing it again in a years time, nobody in the trade uses them(with good reason).

Advertisement