Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy transportation advice

Options
  • 19-10-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

I need some learned tips from you guys in here, whenever I've collected a new puppy in the past there was always someone with me in the car looking after it. I've got a GSD puppy booked from a litter due in November. So I'll be picking him up when he's 8-10 weeks old. So here's the problem, I'll probably be travelling by myself this time, so it makes it a bit awkward. It's also a remote enough location so it could be a 3 hour drive. What would you guys suggest that I bring/use to make the wee guy as comfortable and as stress free, as possible during the journey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I'd suggest one of those seatbelt travel harnesses or a crate.

For a journey that long bring plenty of old towels, some rubbish bags and a decent disinfectant cleaner in case the pup gets car sick. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Both my dogs were over 1 1/2 hours drive, first one 3 hours.
    I used a pet carrier, but you could probably get a crate and use that.
    As stated, news papers, cleaning products, bags, etc.
    I planned to stop every half hour for 5 mins and let the pups out to pee but both slept all the time, so I didn't need to.
    I put the carrier on the passenger seat, seat belted in so I could keep an eye, but no probs either time.
    I did put a soft toy in the carrier to snuggle up to, think that helped.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

For a pup that size I would say a crate but a small one or a plastic carrier, at that age he'll probably sleep most of the way. He will grow out of either, don't get a huge one or he'll end up being tossed around it.

A small crate filled with soft towels would be the most practical and comfortable, bring some extra towels in case the pup pukes or wets.

Our last pup took us 2 and half hours to get home just one stop is usually enough, at that age the motion of the car tends to put them to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

As others have said get a crate or carrier, and plenty of cleaning products, also get yourself a packet of house training pads (don't recommend them for actual house training but would be great for this purpose) You can use one to line the crate and that will keep messes a bit more contained till you can pull over and get it cleaned up. I took a towel to rub on the bitch when I got my puppy to help her settle in at home and made the mistake of putting it in the box with her as she was a little bit anxious at first in the box. Of course she peed and was sick on it and then I didn't have it for her first night :P Maybe take 2 towels if you are going to do this so you still have 1 for bedtime the first few nights! Also take a bowl and a bottle of water with you.

Advertisement