Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommend a rangefinder?

• 19-10-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

hi, am looking out for a gift for myself in the next few weeks (big birthday coming!),and have been looking at getting a rangefinder. (been looking at the voitlander bessa ranges, but i'm open to advice etc.)

can anyone give me a recommendation based on personal experience etc., and maybe a good lens? have a few hundred blips that i can go to on the spending front!

also can anyone give me pros and cons of rangefinders? i've researched this a fair bit in the last few months and got conflicting views, its always nicer to ask the question and get a personal answer.

thanks.

Will.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Will23 wrote: »
    hi, am looking out for a gift for myself in the next few weeks (big birthday coming!),and have been looking at getting a rangefinder. (been looking at the voitlander bessa ranges, but i'm open to advice etc.)

can anyone give me a recommendation based on personal experience etc., and maybe a good lens? have a few hundred blips that i can go to on the spending front!

also can anyone give me pros and cons of rangefinders? i've researched this a fair bit in the last few months and got conflicting views, its always nicer to ask the question and get a personal answer.

thanks.

Will.

It depends if you want interchangeable lenses or not. If you do, you'll probably be buying an M mount or LTM rangefinder; if not, you can pick up lots of old fixed-lens rangefinders (FLRF) for not too much money.

The Bessa would probably be a good choice for M mount along with a Leica M2 or M3, although rangefinder lenses aren't known for being cheap. I don't know how much a few hundred blips is, but you'll probably need the almost a grand to get an interchangeable lens body and one lens.

As regards the pros & cons of rangefinders, it's just that they're suited to a particular way of shooting. They're probably not for everyone, but if what you want to do suits their style, you'll probably enjoy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

You've got to check out http://www.rangefinderforum.com/ if you haven't done so already.

Pros/Cons - check out this article for starters

I would start out with just one lens, either 50mm or 35mm.

The only way to see if a rangefinder is for you is to use one for a few months. If you don't want to splash out initially you could go with something like a Canonet QL III. You can pick them up reasonably cheap on ebay and they do a have a really good (fixed) lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 pimark

I'd recommend trying a Yashica Electro 35 just so you could try using an RF
    camera to see if you like it or not. Comes with a sharp fixed 40mm f1.7 lens.
    Very quiet, good size, aperture priority.

You'll find them on ebay for around £65

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

thanks folks,

I'm beginning to see sense in getting a nice fixed lens on ebay, and trying it out before i dive in my the more advances RF's...

will see how i get on!

Will.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

• Advertisement
Advertisement