Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report this to the DSPCA?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I need your opinion on whether this should be reported.

I know someone who has a Shi tzu of 2 or 3 years old, originally bought on a whim because he was a cute puppy, the person then got tired of looking after the puppy (didnt bother training him, playing with him etc) so now for the last year or so has just left the poor little mite out the back on his own day in / day out. he has a dog house out the back & feeds him so its not exactly cruelty. but i do feel like its neglect as the dog is completely ignored. I can only imagine how miserable the poor little dog is.

I dont know whether I am overly sensitive about the subject - i just dont see why anyone would get an animal and then not look after it?

any opinions on the subject would be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

timshel. wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I need your opinion on whether this should be reported.

I know someone who has a ****zu of 2 or 3 years old, originally bought on a whim because he was a cute puppy, the person then got tired of looking after the puppy (didnt bother training him, playing with him etc) so now for the last year or so has just left the poor little mite out the back on his own day in / day out. he has a dog house out the back & feeds him so its not exactly cruelty. but i do feel like its neglect as the dog is completely ignored. I can only imagine how miserable the poor little dog is.

I dont know whether I am overly sensitive about the subject - i just dont see why anyone would get an animal and then not look after it?

any opinions on the subject would be welcome

Its a shih tzu, not a sh1t tzu. You should ring the DSPCA and get their opinion, Shih Tzu's are house dogs and need loads of love and attention and constant grooming to keep their eyes healthy and to prosper. No way should this guy be outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

like the previous poster mentioned the shiht zu requires high maintenance in grooming. I am assuming that the shiht zu has not seen a grooming brush so more than likely extremely matted and only humane way is a shave down to get all the hair of the dog. The matted hair pulls skin and can also cause hot spots and infections being hidden from sight. If you know this person perhaps you could talk to him/her about rehoming the dog if they dont have enough time or the inclination to look after the needs of the dog.

If the Shiht zu coat is matted it can be like a sheeps pelt now imagine you having a sheeps coat in the heat of summer and not be able to take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ya report it, the poor dog it's no life for the poor thing.

When we got our second dog from the pound he was severly matted, we got him completely shaved the next day. He had a bad skin infection as there was no air getting to his skin. We had to wash him twice a week for months with medicated shampoo before it cleared up. Couldn't even imagine how sore and uncomfortable that was for him.

So yes please do, the dog deserves better than that. Do you think if you offered to take the dog would they give him up seeing as they have no heed on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

first off you need tp let us know what kind of condition the dogs coat is in .how often do you see this dog???/what is your relationship with this person neighbour ,friend??

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭timshel.

never see the dog, she's my brothers ex and I only hear reports from him & my 4year old nephew. my brother said they just leave him out the back permanently and my nephew says he sleeps out the back and when i ask does he play with him then he says 'no he's bold, he always jumps on me' and i ask does his mammy play with him & he says no cos she says he's bold.
    Now I have a dog but my nephew is fine with him, i'd say the poor little doggy just gets so excited when someone goes outside that he cant contain himself to jump up and say hello.
    My brother would not be able to say anything about the situation because its definitely not a good relationship

I think i will ring the DSPCA, at least they could check on him n see if his basic needs are being looked after (which i seriously doubt)

• Advertisement

timshel. wrote: »
    never see the dog, she's my brothers ex and I only hear reports from him & my 4year old nephew. my brother said they just leave him out the back permanently and my nephew says he sleeps out the back and when i ask does he play with him then he says 'no he's bold, he always jumps on me' and i ask does his mammy play with him & he says no cos she says he's bold.
    Now I have a dog but my nephew is fine with him, i'd say the poor little doggy just gets so excited when someone goes outside that he cant contain himself to jump up and say hello.
    My brother would not be able to say anything about the situation because its definitely not a good relationship

I think i will ring the DSPCA, at least they could check on him n see if his basic needs are being looked after (which i seriously doubt)
    ok.try and find out the condition of the coat because if the coat is ok then it has being groomed .the think is she would prob know who rang the DSPCA so this could cause more tension in an already bad relationship. maybe it could be suggested that the dog could be re homed because if she has no interest in playing with the dog etc then she might be glad to get a home for hime and you could even find the home for the dog. so she would not have to do anything. the trick is not to offend her when suggesting it .a house dog will suffer very badly in the winter if kept out doors so it would be nice to get him outta there in the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

unfortunately once an animal has food water and shelter they wont do much :( and Im speaking from experience her:( but do report anyway x

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

report it because it mite make the owners do something like walk him and stuff

twincamman wrote: »
    report it because it mite make the owners do something like walk him and stuff
    tbh the dog would prob be better off outta there and if the spca do call she prob would be only pretending to change her ways and then the ex boyfriend suggests taking the dog then she will smell a rat. sounds like the dog was bought on a whim and the whim has long since wore off prob does not have much intrest in dogs at all bar keeping it alive

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭timshel.

i think i will report it. i wouldnt want the poor dog to suffer just because i dont want to step on anyones toes. ill ring the dspca and just ask their opinion anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement