Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestion for next theme/assignment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Are you talking about something like a stamp collection

or Maybe soccer cards or coins?

or Cars

Yeah - I'd go for that:)

One of the problems with the assignments is that the same ugly faces seem to win time on time.

Which would annoy me immensely if I were a newbie

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

keps wrote: »
    Are you talking about something like a stamp collection

or Maybe soccer cards or coins?

or Cars

Yeah - I'd go for that:)

Basically yeah.

And I'm not in it to win it. I just like a project and a reason to take the pics I like to take. I don't need a reason but having one helps. ;)

iamstop wrote: »
    Basically yeah.

And I'm not in it to win it. I just like a project and a reason to take the pics I like to take. I don't need a reason but having one helps. ;)

Wouldn't you love to see a collection of old comics or model cars- but the problem might be that they look so much better in real life that in a photo

But then that might be the challenge- to make them look sexy on film:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Exactly. But also people colelct all sorts of stuff, dishes, model trains, keys, beer mats, match books/boxes, shoes...and on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

keps wrote: »
    One of the problems with the assignments is that the same ugly faces seem to win time on time.

Which would annoy me immensely if I were a newbie

There is a sense of it being like the Premiership, with a few genuine contenders each time, and the rest just aiming for respectability. Although with one vote from the last 3 challenges, I have failed even in that goal :rolleyes:
    Some people are better photographers than others at the end of the day. I'm not entering the competitions with any real hopes of winning them, but I'm just getting back into photography and it's a good motivator to go out and take pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I agree with bogmanfan. It doesn't bother me if there are recurring winners, it's just the reality that there are varying levels of quality here.

Though I like the idea of being able to pitch suggestions for themes - the more people involved, the more ideas there are. If that was to happen, maybe there could be a stickied thread where the ideas are chosen on thanks.

(I'm aware that the assignments have operated like this for a long time though, I don't want to disregard tradition!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

a assignment suggestion thread is a great idea

it gives it more of a group spirit.

also i could imagine that its tough to keep coming up with good ideas.

Martron wrote: »
    a assignment suggestion thread is a great idea

it gives it more of a group spirit.

also i could imagine that its tough to keep coming up with good ideas.

I totally agree:) Especially with 2 Competition Threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yes, like the others, I don't mind the group of good photographers winning all the time, that's not a problem, but I would definitely like a thread where we can all suggest themes, newbies and oldies alike.
    Then the winners could pick something they like from that thread, and change it a bit to suit their idea of course. It wouldn't have to be picked from the thread, but could be if agreeable.

• Advertisement

I learned a new word last week - Sticky :)

Apparently a sticky is a thread that will not descend down a list - but stays near the top.

Would we need to ask a mod for a Sticky type thread - or can it be a standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I like the idea of theme being picked from a list. As to the same tog's winning each time - well if the photos are good enough then they deserve to:rolleyes:
    I've always believed that improving our own capabilities is the goal - competitions are just a way to focus the mind and possibly as a measure of our progress:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'd like a "before and after" theme, that would give scope to use several photographs, or not. Not about processing before and after !
    But about past, present, and if one wishes the in-between too, if there's a clever and not overwhelming way to suggest/hint at it.
    Like an apple, and the apple core after it's been eaten, or a pregnant woman, and the baby in her arms.

With a limited time frame, and photos strictly to be taken during this time frame, this would be interesting imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

How about something like ups and downs - could include stairs/steps, hills, depressed people?!

Advertisement