Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood burning stove door wont shut

Options
  • 19-10-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

At present I can not shut the door on my Stanley wood burning stove. It is the equivalent of the 'Oisin' today although this one is about 14 years old.

When I shut the door the handle pops up and unless I put something heavy against it wont stay shut.

I guess something is out of alignment. Any advice or recommendations of someone in North Cork who would be able to fix.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I guess something is out of alignment.

You could be right. Is there anything fouling the door catch or hinges? Does the door sit flush? Can you look at the door catch and see if it is 'landing' in the right place? Is it up, down or too far away from the striker pin?

I experienced a similar problem on my (2 year old) Oisín. One day, out of the blue it was as stiff as hell to close. This persisted for a week or two then, all of a sudden, it was perfect again. I checked everything and could see no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 easylistener

Blimey. Super fast response. Nothing visible but I think your suggestion of the "door catch and see if it is 'landing' in the right place? Is it up, down or too far away from the striker pin?" may be accurate.

In the process of trying to adjust the door catch and think it may be to far away. Not techinally minded so trying to avoid the last resort mallet approach.

Even having the correct terminology is helpful.

Thank you crosstownk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's too far away then maybe there is something fouling the door on the hinge side or maybe the hinges are strained. It's a simple mechanism ( 2 hinges and a latch) and not much can go wrong so if you look closely enough you should see the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the receiver for the latch attached to the stove front frame might have shifted a little causing the problem. afaik its held in place with an alan bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 easylistener

Thank you both for your advice. With a bit of tinkering (no mallet required) I know have a door that shuts.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement