Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why all the construction work?

• 19-10-2010 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I know students in the college are well aware of it by now. But does anyone know why there is all the construction work going on outside the library. I mean are they putting down new water pipes or water meter; or broadband internet cables; or just some new surface bricks. Shouldn't some management have sent an email to all students explaining the what and why for the plan and all the construction. Students might be more understanding if they understood the need and I am sure would like to know the cost of it too. I can think of a few other places in the college where the money could be spent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

What I've been told is that it's gonna be a new courtyard outside as we can all see, and the building works around the Burrin Centre should be the beginnings of this:
    New Student Services Building
    A new 3000 sq. metre Student Services Building is due to be constructed commencing early 2010 which will further enhance students experience and wellbeing while studying at IT Carlow. This facility will include a 600m² Sports Hall & Changing Facilities; Steam Room & Sauna; Gyms; Medical Centre; Health Centre; High Performance Gym; Meditation Room; Fitness Suite; Access Service; Careers Service; Counselling Service and will also house the Students Union.

As taken from here. I'm open to correction but I believe this is what is going on, and it will be a great addition when finished.

I hear a swimming pool is being built there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

meditation room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Job creation! Just showing us hard working students that there is work out there for us. Keep us motivated. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

They're digging a mass grave for the SU's Suicide Encouragement Week after the new student fees are announced.

They should spend the money on toilet roll instead, there's never any in the jacks beside A205

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Why did they wait until the college year started before beginning work? I was up and down to the college during the break and there was no sign of construction going on at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Why did they wait until the college year started before beginning work? I was up and down to the college during the break and there was no sign of construction going on at all.

They probably had to wait for the students to pay the fees ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 johndb

Thanks for pointing out the link on the Carlow site Master of Nothing. Looks like they will be building that for at least a year.

I would also add that the absence of toilet paper is made worse by the poor hand dryers which takes too long to dry your hands. Also the cubicles are so small that swinging in the door leaves about an inch between it and the toilet seat. Anyway no big deal but would be nice to see these things improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Mak_United wrote: »
    I hear a swimming pool is being built there.

And a student bar.
    And a rollercoaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

And a student bar.
    And a rollercoaster.

I heard they are also working on Disneyland Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

ShayK1 wrote: »
    They probably had to wait for the students to pay the fees ....

Wouldn't they have the fees from the previous year though?
    I would have thought that would be the norm. For them to use the fees etc to build during the months when there are no classes or students around. It would mean the builders have more space to maneuver and so finish sooner.

As the moment, in some classes it is impossible to concentrate and sometimes to even hear the lecturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 theanonymous

Love the way come rooms are hot as hell and all the computers take ages to login...but now they rearrange the tiles so its all oki....not

Love the way come rooms are hot as hell and all the computers take ages to login...but now they rearrange the tiles so its all oki....not

Be thankful you even have a slow computer.
    My sister is in NUIG and she has to book a computer a day in advance and show up before 9 to even have a chance of getting one.

That wold be fine if not the fact that IT Carlow is best know for its achievement in computer related studies. BTW they spend BIG cash on computers this year. 20 brand new units of double screen mac pro. Only people from multimedia can use them... If you want to see them there are all in the classroom second floor of the library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Don't forget the new football pitch and a 150m running track :)

Not to mention the dirt of the keyboards. Probably get a combination of cholera and herpes from them quicker than in a Haitian brothel!

Don't get me started on the lecturers! And don't even try because it's against the Charter.

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Don't forget the new football pitch and a 150m running track :)

That is a good point. Sadly as a software developer my usage of them will be less than 0. Its very not cool for computer guys to do any kind of sport thats why most of us sit in the third floor of the libery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

That is a good point. Sadly as a software developer my usage of them will be less than 0. Its very not cool for computer guys to do any kind of sport thats why most of us sit in the third floor of the libery.

I am a computer super geek but am also on sport Scholarship :P.

The "jocks" have encroached on that sacred area in weeks previous though, I can only assume their presence will increase with their own habitat under threat from the construction work.

RealistSpy wrote: »
    I am a computer super geek but am also on sport Scholarship :P.

super geeks don't get sport scholarship. its like saying I successfulness divided by 0, or Im a bad ass ,popular with woman jock and my favorite after school hobby is reading about blackholes... just dosn't add up :)

• Advertisement

ILA wrote: »
    The "jocks" have encroached on that sacred area in weeks previous though, I can only assume their presence will increase with their own habitat under threat from the construction work.

indeed jocks migration to the library is really great this year.I guess their looking for shelter before winter... It's really hard to accept them as a proper students since we believe in science and they in ruing in shorts...BTW u see the uniform of rugby players? I'm almost positive they were design by some French homosexual artist. Pink with flower patters don't work well with brutal contact sports

BTW u see the uniform of rugby players? I'm almost positive they were design by some French homosexual artist. Pink with flower patters don't work well with brutal contact sports

IIRC they took that on to help with breast cancer or some such.

IIRC they took that on to help with breast cancer or some such.

Oh i see now. I myself often were a pink badge to support the cause, I also where a lot of black so the badge really stands out. Its great that decide to help but they cold do it more actively so more people would notice. Not everybody will combine pink clothing with breast cancer awareness.

BTW
    I'm sure you all see the long wooden wall around the construction, can anybody have any idea why did they paint it white? I thought its only for safety reasons but now it seams that its going to stay...

I say its white so it stands out to bus's, drivers and even the construction workers.

I wish they'd jus **** off now, they should have started last May.

Advertisement