Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Protest

Options
  • 19-10-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭

Talking to my friend from maynooth, the SU there are organising tshirts and a bus to the protest for a fiver, are we doing anything? Tshirts,buses, anythin'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

What's the protest over?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I presume this is the fee's march? Not putting a downer on it, but personally I don't care. And before anyone launches into the whole "He can afford fee's, high and mighty D4" I'm not. I can barely afford the current fee's. I'm just realistic. The country can ill afford hospitals and essential services, and we march about fee's. I don't know but I think thats abit of "We don't care unless it affect us" Where were the SU's and all that when funding etc was taking away from kids will illness's, the elderly etc etc.

Sorry, but I never saw the point in protesting. Make your point as a body i.e. Gary Redmond on behalf of Students and move on. Large scale protests are just over kill IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

El Siglo wrote: »
    What's the protest over?
    What do we want?
    "FRY'S DOG!"
    When do we want it?
    "FRY'S DOG!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

This is on the 3rd of November, it is the big protest against College fees. It is going from either Parnell or Merrion square to the dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Its on Facebook on the USI site. I suggested that perhaps to save students some money the USI could reduce their own fees. We pay €96,000 per annum for 'affiliation' to the USI. We also spend over €200,000 on UCDSU wages and office costs. They may as well lead by example and tighten their own belts.

They deleted my comment soon afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Its on Facebook on the USI site. I suggested that perhaps to save students some money the USI could reduce their own fees. We pay €96,000 per annum for 'affiliation' to the USI. We also spend over €200,000 on UCDSU wages and office costs. They may as well lead by example and tighten their own belts.

Ha, are you serious ??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not surprised it was deleted. That's hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Shower of bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

So is there anything happening organised by the su?

Ha, are you serious ??? :rolleyes:

Yeah it was deleted after a few hours. If you type "USI Student March" into events on facebook it will come up. A mixture of reasonable and completely idiotic comments from both sides of the fence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have a plan for this protest...

Student bar for a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I have a plan.... go to the 30% midterm that is on when the march starts, and then go to my Japanese class where attendance is worth marks.

*Worrying about getting into 3rd year ahead of paying for it*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah I got this in an email today:

There will be 50 buses leaving UCD on the 3rd of November ! T-shirts are in the process of being printed ! Details will be forwarded !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Fad wrote: »
    I have a plan.... go to the 30% midterm that is on when the march starts, and then go to my Japanese class where attendance is worth marks.

*Worrying about getting into 3rd year ahead of paying for it*

I do believe I have a 25% mid term MCQ that day. Attending the march...eh not happening me thinks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I will be busy attending college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jello wrote: »
    Yeah I got this in an email today:

There will be 50 buses leaving UCD on the 3rd of November ! T-shirts are in the process of being printed ! Details will be forwarded !

How much are they shelling out on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I don't start until four on Wednesdays anyway. It was a bit silly to have the march when most people will be in college though. Does anybody know what time it'll go on until?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I don't start until four on Wednesdays anyway. It was a bit silly to have the march when most people will be in college though. Does anybody know what time it'll go on until?

Most people behind this march wouldnt be the most academic

Afaik, 3.

It's on during the day because it will cause the most disruption that way.

Thats nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Afaik, 3.

Great way to win public support :rolleyes: Disrupt as many people as possible as they live their lives and have lots of annoying, pretentious twats speaking to the news and beating drums. The perfect way to live up to the moaning, work-shy student stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Great way to win public support :rolleyes: Disrupt as many people as possible as they live their lives and have lots of annoying, pretentious twats speaking to the news and beating drums. The perfect way to live up to the moaning, work-shy student stereotype.

Lucky you don't live in France.

Interesting link in todays Indo which shows a very large proportion of UCD students come from fee paying second level schools. Why does the government pay their third level education but their parents can afford to ignore free second level education??

Link Here

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Lucky you don't live in France.

I thank God (or my parents since they actually had a role in where I was born!) that I am not in France every day of the week :D

Grimes wrote: »
    Interesting link in todays Indo which shows a very large proportion of UCD students come from fee paying second level schools. Why does the government pay their third level education but their parents can afford to ignore free second level education??

Link Here

That is the single biggest argument against free fees. The well off families just use the money to improve their children's secondary education. The disparity between well off students and under privileged students has grown since free fees came in.

I say what I always say, bring back fees for those that can afford them and improve the grant system. Care should be taken so that those just over the current grant threshold are not screwed, but free fees should be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

They're organising this protest on a Wednesday... When everyone should be attending the lectures that the SU are so worried people might not be able to afford. Fcuking idiots.

Link Here

Not every single person who went to a fee paying school can still afford to pay for college....

A lot has changed in the last few years.

Despite some personal circumstances, I'm not exactly anti-fees. And I have problems with this whole protest thing too.... Mainly the fact that I want USI to promptly implode....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Link Here

That is absolute bullshít. How many private schools are outside of Dublin? Very few.

unknown13 wrote: »
    That is absolute bullshít. How many private schools are outside of Dublin? Very few.

The article is bull****? Its pretty valid. The top 10 feeder schools to UCD are nearly without exception: in Dublin 4, fee paying or along the N11.

• Advertisement

That is the single biggest argument against free fees. The well off families just use the money to improve their children's secondary education. The disparity between well off students and under privileged students has grown since free fees came in.

I say what I always say, bring back fees for those that can afford them and improve the grant system. Care should be taken so that those just over the current grant threshold are not screwed, but free fees should be a thing of the past.

No no no no no!
    I cannot get my head around why people want fee's reintroduced (I'm guessing with an Australian style system where you pay back the money through extra taxes) for "well off" students but not for the poor auld "disadvantaged" students. If I can pay back a loan then why can't they?

I honestly don't get it. We'll all end up with the same degree's/jobs in the end.

Either fee's for none or fee's for all. We need a level playing field in this country. It's time "disadvantaged" people starting doing something for themselves.

Advertisement