Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Protest

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EduKate

finally RTE show the other side - http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1109/education.html#video

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

EduKate wrote: »

A whole 28 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EduKate

Grimes wrote: »
    A whole 28 people?

It can be difficult to identify a Garda when their number is printed on the back of their riot helmet, and they're beating you.

But, as you said a week ago
    Anywhoooo ..... its off the news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

EduKate wrote: »
    It can be difficult to identify a Garda when their number is printed on the back of their riot helmet, and they're beating you.

Its also probably difficult to identify students throwing objects when they have concealed their faces with scarves and hoods.

I don't think any other European police force would have acted with the restraint of the Gardai. If this we had an equivalent of a Gendermarie there would have been tear gas aplenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Its also probably difficult to identify students throwing objects when they have concealed their faces with scarves and hoods.

This.

Q: Why were students who were innocently having a peaceful protest, covering their faces to hide their identity?

A: They weren't innocent.

/Close thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gnarlypenguin

Notorious wrote: »
    This.

Q: Why were students who were innocently having a peaceful protest, covering their faces to hide their identity?

/Close thread.

I cover my face at all protests, as I have no desire to be photographed and be all over facebook/media. I don't give people permission to take my photo, but they do it anyway. Therefore to combat this the face is covered. I threw nothing, attacked no one and still ended up with over 30 bruises.

I cover my face at all protests, as I have no desire to be photographed and be all over facebook/media. I don't give people permission to take my photo, but they do it anyway. Therefore to combat this the face is covered. I threw nothing, attacked no one and still ended up with over 30 bruises.

Whats the point in protesting if you dont expect/wanted to be recorded and your protest end up in the papers? Sounds a little stupid to me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

People don't need permission to take your photo in a public place.

Out of interest, did you stick to the authorised protest route and follow all Garda orders promptly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Notorious wrote: »
    This.

/Close thread.

I'd cover my face to keep warm, it's getting awfully cold out lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gnarlypenguin

mloc wrote: »
    People don't need permission to take your photo in a public place.

Out of interest, did you stick to the authorised protest route and follow all Garda orders promptly?

Yes they don't need permission and I don't want my image spread around, hence i cover my face.
    And no I didn't follow the "authorised" protest route because listening to hacks give speeches is not my view of a protest.

Whats the point in protesting if you dont expect/wanted to be recorded and your protest end up in the papers? Sounds a little stupid to me to be honest.

I don't want to be recorded, I expect it. I want the protest to get coverage, just not me to get coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yes they don't need permission and I don't want my image spread around, hence i cover my face.
    And no I didn't follow the "authorised" protest route because listening to hacks give speeches is not my view of a protest.

I don't want to be recorded, I expect it. I want the protest to get coverage, just not me to get coverage.

Deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

What you guys think of the comments section at the back of the Tribune - the non-biased university paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

What you guys think of the comments section at the back of the Tribune - the non-biased university paper?

That's sarcasm, right?

- snip, deserves it's own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I threw nothing, attacked no one and still ended up with over 30 bruises.

Well how did those bruises get there? Did you fall down a set of stairs in the Dept. of Finance?

the Tribune - the non-biased university paper?

Mega Sarcasm?>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Our protest seems like nothing in comparison to the one in London today anyway. 32 people arrested, 8 in hospital, and by the sounds of things a lot of the conservative building was destroyed.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

kateos2 wrote: »
    Our protest seems like nothing in comparison to the one in London today anyway. 32 people arrested, 8 in hospital, and by the sounds of things a lot of the conservative building was destroyed.

Link

Some despicable behaviour by the students in London, the throwing of the fire extinguisher being the worst act. I can only imagine how anybody working in the are felt.

Although I did see a group of students on Sky News that were extremely irate at the violence, I thought they came across well. They went there to protest, but not to cause the mayhem that it ended up being. Another group of knob-heads joined in during their interview and Sky let the debate play out on air.

Advertisement