Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retriever peeing in house

Options
  • 19-10-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭

Our 6 month old retriever has Peed in the house 3 times now in the last 2 nights, he has being house trained for about 3 months with no accidents and last night he would not stop barking when we put him to bed, he is usually very quiet, do ye think there is something up should I take him to the vet.
    He also ate 17 cocconut creams last night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

niallo27 wrote: »
    Our 6 month old retriever has Peed in the house 3 times now in the last 2 nights, he has being house trained for about 3 months with no accidents and last night he would not stop barking when we put him to bed, he is usually very quiet, do ye think there is something up should I take him to the vet.

:eek::eek: how did he/she get these .....

if your goldie is barking prehaps he needed to go out to pee ....

you need to go back to basic training ...

if he/she is in discomfort when going than take to vet imo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

shelly_g wrote: »
    :eek::eek: how did he/she get these .....

if your goldie is barking prehaps he needed to go out to pee ....

you need to go back to basic training ...

if he/she is in discomfort when going than take to vet imo ...

He stole them off the counter, no he has his routine, he has a big drink of water, goes out for a pee and then into bed, he has done this the last two nights, but is barking mad for some reason, do you think I'll have to train him again

He stole them off the counter, no he has his routine, he has a big drink of water, goes out for a pee and then into bed, he has done this the last two nights, but is barking mad for some reason, do you think I'll have to train him again

im no expert but i do own a goldie and he hasnt had any accidents since training ... did something happen to prehaps frighten him

My goldie sits with his paw up when he needs to go out

prehaps if he has an increased thirst u should get a professional opinion ...

as for stealing from counter .... you need to do some training ;) My fella never ever gets food in kitchen ...he is fed in utility and all treats that he gets in house are given in his bed ...thats the rule ..so no counter or table surfing and no begging...cos they would eat and beg all day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

How on earth do you manage to get a 3 month old puppy fully house trained may I ask? My dog is 5 and a half months and is fully house-trained now, but I'd think nothing of it if she started have the odd accident basically because she's 5 and a half months old.

Also are there any fireworks/bangers going off around your area?

How on earth do you manage to get a 3 month old puppy fully house trained may I ask?

My golden came from breeders pratically house trained ...we had only about a week of accidents while he got into a routine with us ...

goldies are clever ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How on earth do you manage to get a 3 month old puppy fully house trained may I ask? My dog is 5 and a half months and is fully house-trained now, but I'd think nothing of it if she started have the odd accident basically because she's 5 and a half months old.

Loads of treats, he got a treat and a hug everytime he went outside and he learnt fairly quick, he is very bright though, he loves his food and would do anything for it.

Yes they are building a house over the wall from our garden, just down a small bit, I wonder did he get a fright, I just hope he is not sick or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

It's coming up to Halloween, and I'm noticing a lot of Bangers / fireworks already. Are there many going off in your area? Could be nervous of the sudden noise, considering he's so young??

Adrenaline Junkie beat me to it

prehaps he did get a fright .....

take him out for extra puddle into garden and stay with him so you are sure he went ...

my fella is v fussy about where he goes and can take him ages to choose the perfect place....he often comes back in and than sits with the paw up to go out again .... grand during day but not nice at night when u are freezing and in your pj's :o

just be sure he isnt in pain passing urine ... and get Vets advice i you are still worried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

my fella is v fussy about where he goes and can take him ages to choose the perfect place....he often comes back in and than sits with the paw up to go out again .... grand during day but not nice at night when u are freezing and in your pj's :o

I thought my dog was alone in this, my lad is so fussy, will sniff round for ages, look like he's about to go, then change his mind and move off again, will only go on grass, will hold it in if he doesn't find the perfect spot, silly sod, it does make me laugh though (but not at night in the freezing cold etc!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I thought my dog was alone in this, my lad is so fussy, will sniff round for ages, look like he's about to go, then change his mind and move off again, will only go on grass, will hold it in if he doesn't find the perfect spot, silly sod, it does make me laugh though (but not at night in the freezing cold etc!)

Our retriever is the same!!:rolleyes::pac: He was trained by 3 months too. OP make sure you clean where he had the accident properly or he might still get the scent and decide it's his new spot. Could he be starting to mark I wonder?

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »

we are trying to train our goldie to do no 2 in his run .... he is only ever in run after meals to try and encourage him to go there .... but its a waste of time ..he prefers nice leafy grass ... he could be in a squat and ready to go and he will stop and head off sniffing elsewhere ...so i pick it up and put it in run and on an odd occassion he will go in there ....but i wont give up and some day he will do all no 2's in there and save me poop scooping the garden :)

as for the pees .... fussy sod aswell .... he has to have the right angle and somit to pee up on ....and sometimes he still girly squats .... think that is lazyness :rolleyes:

If he is that intelligent he's not going to go to the toilet in his own area, next step his own bed. The point of toilet training is to encourage them to keep their own area clean, this is the opposite. It's like someone taking your waste out of your toilet and throwing it around your living room, you shouldnt be doing that it will make him very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

and sometimes he still girly squats .... think that is lazyness :rolleyes:

Mine too, and he's 5 and a half!!!

If he is that intelligent he's not going to go to the toilet in his own area, next step his own bed. The point of toilet training is to encourage them to keep their own area clean, this is the opposite. It's like someone taking your waste out of your toilet and throwing it around your living room, you shouldnt be doing that it will make him very confused.

ah yes i would agree only that he is only ever in the run when he is going out for business .... he is far too spoilt and in very rarely in the run always in the house... but thats a good point ;)

ah yes i would agree only that he is only ever in the run when he is going out for business .... he is far too spoilt and in very rarely in the run always in the house... but thats a good point ;)

If you see him wanting to go put a lead on him and take him off your property, outside the gate, take him out here frequently and he'll get the picture. I started doing this with my Westie when she starting holding her poos till she got out for a walk, got to the point where she suddenly decided she wasn't going to poo in her own garden anymore, this is working great with her. It could be he still sees the run as a confined space and there's the chance he'll be closed in there with it and can't get away from it so to speak.

If you see him wanting to go put a lead on him and take him off your property, outside the gate, take him out here frequently and he'll get the picture. I started doing this with my Westie when she starting holding her poos till she got out for a walk, got to the point where she suddenly decided she wasn't going to poo in her own garden anymore, this is working great with her. It could be he still sees the run as a confined space and there's the chance he'll be closed in there with it and can't get away from it so to speak.

hehe ...funny you say that cos this evening i brought him out there and stayed with him ...

I pointed to No2's i had put there from the garden and told him to go :rolleyes: i know, im mad ..... i didnt shut the door or leave him and he went .... then bolted out after plenty of hugs and praise .... :)

lets see if that works in the morning ....

Advertisement