Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple trees for cider making

Options
  • 19-10-2010 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Evening folks,

At some point in the future I'd like to make my own cider from my own apples. What variety of apple would be good for this? I know I don't live in the best area of the country for growing stuff :D We're right beside the sea and not the best land but I could improve parts if needed.

Hooked on Kopparberg Pear cider at the moment, so I do like a sweeter type of cider, might try grow pears in a green house or something at some point :D

All advice appreciated.

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Many Years ago I worked one harvest on a cider apple farm... they had mostly Bramley's and Grenadier..am sure ... (And I believe Katy and Jonagold Red were used as Pollinators and what looked like a crap apple (Love Jonagold makes an excellent Juice))
    I won't tell you what I saw being sent to Bulmers at the time i believe in Clonmel.. but It has put me off Cider for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

jezko wrote: »
    I won't tell you what I saw being sent to Bulmers at the time i believe in Clonmel.. but It has put me off Cider for life!

Please do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I'd love to have a go at making my own cider vinegar but I don't have any of the equipment or shortage for such.

Do you think it is possible to bring the apples somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

johngalway

I think your messing. Poor land, Poor location and don't know what brand of apple. It also takes years to do.

It's all to much for me, I going to get a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Mits wrote: »
    johngalway

I think your messing. Poor land, Poor location and don't know what brand of apple. It also takes years to do.

It's all to much for me, I going to get a drink.

I think you've had a few already :p

I'm not messing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

From an article in the Indo on Fingal's attractions, here's a guy who makes his own wine and cider in Lusk
    http://www.fruitandvine.com/double_l___real_cider_from_irish_apples-objectid-1061-recordid-6-z-products_overview.htm

"Dabinett apple is very important, and we use a range of various sweet dessert apple varieties, and some of the Bramley apple"

And this ...
    http://www.ciderworkshop.com/

Send me a bottle when you start producing :-)
    Can you use a polytunnel to combat the weather and soil problems?

That guy from Lusk was on the TV in the past fortnight, maybe Nationwide? Lúska was the wine I think, €30 a bottle, he's doin well lol.

(Edit, he was on Corrigans programme on RTE1 tonight, makes cider, apple juice and wine which is now €40 a bottle...)

Yeah, I'd like to make a Polytunnel as well :) Have plans for them bookmarked. My aunt has apple trees in the village, not sure of the variety but they're definitely green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

contact irish seed savers they have a colection of apple trees that are suitable for all parts of ireland some are cider apples

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

As I understand it the sweeter the apple the drier the cider and the sour varieties of apple produce the sweetest cider.
    So it all depends on what you want to try and make.
    I know a guy who grows apples for Bulmers and the trees are tiny but have a heap of fruit on them.
    You will need a press and a macerator.
    I saw a great article recently from a guy in the states who has plans to make a wooden press with a bottle jack and and insinkerator as the apple grinder.
    Here it is
    I don't think it is that hard to grow apples here, even in your neck of the woods but you may have to dig some big holes for the trees and compost around them.
    Quantity will be the key to getting sufficient amounts of apples in to the press.

Cheers CJ :D I've the bottle jack already, that's my plan for the press. The insinkerator is a good idea mind you! I've a sweet tooth when it comes to cider so sour apples it is :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

> irish seed savers also provide a mulching and juicing service

here's another good site for cider making

http://www.the-gift-of-wine.com/cider.html

Advertisement