Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any airlines allow dogs on board?

• 19-10-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Aunt needs to take her dog with her for a long stay, dog will have pet passport sorted. But does anyone know if there are any airlines which allow the dog to travel on board rather than in the hold.
    Smallish dog.

Checked aer lingus but they only allow the dog in the hold but it doesn't mention if they allow dogs to fly germany to ireland..will check that bit out.

Would be Dusseldorf to Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lobo1

Here is a list of approved air carriers to Dublin:
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/approvedpetcarriersroutes/

I don’t see any company offering a service from Dusseldorf to Dublin. Lufthansa Cargo operate routes from Germany but that could mean they allow pets on scheduled passenger flights from their German destinations to Dublin (as in not on an actual cargo plane)

My own experience travelling with a Westie to Europe is I got him on a charter quite easily, though in the cargo hold, didn’t try getting him back by flight as it seemed quite a hassle and a car was coming back that direction so I didn’t pursue it. My main concern was making a mistake in the paperwork and him ending up in quarantine.

Each airline will have their own rules as to whether they can travel in the cabin or hold, what size / weight allowed etc., and there is a cost of course.

It would be worth calling Lufthansa and discussing their options.
    http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/uk/info_and_services/baggage?nodeid=1769643&l=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If your aunt is willing to carry a long white stick and a pair of dark shades she should have no problem. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I know someone who flew (think it might have been Luftansa?) but there was a weight limit (including the cage) of something like 5kg for carry on pets. Also the plane has to be a certain size- this person's flight got changed to a smaller plane and she couldn't take it carry on anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

if i see on the link in post 2
    its only Lufthansa who is allowed to fly pets to Europe???
    We want to go to France next summer for 6 weeks and want to take our lab with us
    only possibility is fly to Germany and take a train to Bordeaux ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

as far as i know the only dogs allowed in airplane cabins are guide/assistance dogs, any others have to go in the hold, will check with my aunt when im next talking to her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lmsunshine

yes lufthansa do allow small dogs on board flights from dublin to frankfurt at a fee of 70e and the box carrier has to be max 55cm length x 40cm width x20cm height

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

if i see on the link in post 2
    its only Lufthansa who is allowed to fly pets to Europe???
    We want to go to France next summer for 6 weeks and want to take our lab with us
    only possibility is fly to Germany and take a train to Bordeaux ??

Or ferry from Rosslare to Cherbourg, Irish Ferries have a great kennel section on that crossing and as far as i know it's pretty cheap, maybe even free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Hi,

Im in a similar position to yourself, Im hoping to import my dog to Ireland in the summer. So have researched this loads...better safe then sorry eh?!

I contacted the dept. of agriculture and was told luftansa was the main route for importing but since Im not in germany this wasnt really an option.They then sent me a form for my chosen airline to fill out basically saying the dog will be kept in the hold and carried as cargo etc.

Any dog flying into ireland cannot be carried as carry on luggage (unlike if your travelling around europe) and must be put in the hold as cargo.

You have to arrange a quarentined carrier (only kellys couriers as far as I know) to collect the dog from Dublin Airport to bring to lissenhall vets in swords where his passport will be checked and verified and you will fingers crossed be free to go! The dog must have a tick treatment I think 24-48 hours before and this must be logged into his passport. Make sure his rabies titre test results are over 6 months old too - a rabies vaccination on its own is not enough.

The ferry isnt free, think to carry a dog it was about 70 euro. But again Im not sure on that one! And many trains in Europe will charge you a childs fare for carrying a dog on board (and some wont allow dogs on board at all).

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me. I can link you to relevent pages and information if you need it. :) Best of luck with it either way, Id be interested to see how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

I brought my Westie to Ireland via England from Germany by car. Was the easiest and cheapest way for all of us. Lufthans would charge for a one way flight to Dublin (not direct, only via London) around 400 Euros 3 years ago. Then it wasnt even for sure the Dog will be in the same plain with me! And as said in a post before: no Dog is allowed "on board" with you, only cargo. Same for the ferries. The Dog needs to stay in the car (my one enjoyed this :D) or in a special kennel. I took the ferry from Duennkirchen to Dover and it was for the dog arund 60 Euros. The ferry from Holyhead to Dublin was free for him.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Brittany Ferries & Irish Ferries charge for pets, Celtic Link do not. And with Celtic Link, you're allowed to keep your dog in your car. It's really a trucker ferry though, so not that nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭travelguru

I had no problems getting my girlfriend on a flight (in the cabin even) from Barcelona to Dublin and that was with Ryanair so i'd say you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

lmsunshine wrote: »
    yes lufthansa do allow small dogs on board flights from dublin to frankfurt at a fee of 70e and the box carrier has to be max 55cm length x 40cm width x20cm height

is that limited to frankfurt or does it include other destinations? thanks

Advertisement