Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disposing of very large amounts of weeds

Options
  • 19-10-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere I could dispose of a really large quantity of weeds. I cant really put them in my own compost bin and theres way way too much to put in my county council compost bin too. Any ideas? what would landscapers normally do with large quantities of weeds from gardens?

any help would be great :)
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

It depends on the weeds really
    If they are annuals Dig a deep deep hole a couple of feet deep and bury them

For Doc roots, dandelions, skutch pile them high let them dry out and burn them

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

lucylu wrote: »

Haven't Burn material outside in Years... (If you believe that) :-o

since they passed that "STUPID LAW"

I have been told you'd get away with a Bonfire at Holloween but rarely any other time in any built up Area...

Anyone know what is the offical view of Autumn Garden Fires??

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

if you have a car you put weeds into plastic bags and bring them to nearest recycling center. there is few around dublin
    most gardeners is putting all garden waste (include weeds) to the bags/sacks and bringing to commercial dump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

lucylu wrote: »

The official position is that it is illegal to burn anything, anytime, anywhere throughout the country. You will of course come across farmers burning waste and less so in urban areas. The smoke police are quite vigilent and you can expect a call and hefty fine. Weeds should not be composted. Better to allow dry out and dispose of in general waste or bring to landfill.

If you have a large volume, expect to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

The official position is that it is illegal to burn anything, anytime, anywhere throughout the country. You will of course come across farmers burning waste and less so in urban areas. The smoke police are quite vigilent and you can expect a call and hefty fine. ....
    I know I am changing the subject slightly... sorry...

Sonnenblumen as a professional...and indeed open to everyone...

What is your thoughts on this ???
    Do you think it's a good idea to have to drive across the country with plant material that could be carrying a Disease like "Fireblight" or worse??

I see the point in stopping burning household waste... But Some garden materials carry disease that MUST be BURNT to destroy the disease.... from spreading and carrying over to the following year.

Bringing this material to "centre's" for green waste for it to be shredded and then composted... spreads the risk of Diseases.... I know the temp in these professional compost piles are high but nothing beats fire!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I've always considered burning green waste a harmless and sometimes fun annual event, eg autumn leaves. Burning weed and/or infected green waste is also more effective means than commercial composting.

Unfortunately in recent years we have had a series of simply ridiculous rules/laws introduced which arguably nothing more than bureaucratic gymnastics and do nothing or little to make the world a better or cleaner place.

I have many fond memories of burning fallen leaf in the back garden, an annual ritual which was best done after sunset, alas those were the days...

Advertisement