Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another pay cut question

Options
  • 19-10-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

If an employer wishes to implement a pay cut for some staff, but not all, is it entirely at his discretion who is to receive the cut? Can he say, "right I'll have you, you and you too, but you, your OK, I won't cut your pay" for whatever or no reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yes - but getting agreement could be a problem. There seems to be a contradiction between contract and employment law when it comes to enforcing pay cuts. I know when they implemented them in my company, we all had to sign a document.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

it is not legal under payment of wages act if there is no agreement

if there was agreement and a higher cut was imposed on say men or women or foreign workers or irish workers it would probably be illegal uner anti discrimination legislation

see link
    http://www.unionconnect.ie/rights/7/

Advertisement