Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA fighters or coaches

• 19-10-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I just want to see what coaches, fighters and other people involved in mma thought about coaches/trainers still being active mma fighters? I just wanted to know if still active can they dedicate enough time to train other fighters for their fights and can they organise events if they fight in other events just a few weeks prior? Would fighters rather have a coach that has fought mma before or are they happy to be taught by someone with skills in other disciplines?

I'm not affilated to any club and do not want to offend any fighters or coaches as everyone has their own style of teaching I just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on these questions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

What your saying is spot on man, i coach and occasionally fight and it is hard, thats where delegation and trust in your fellow coaches comes in, also i'm fortunate enough that my job is Coaching so i can train outside of class aswell..

The reason why i dont fight constantly is so i can dedicate more time to coaching, it can be done and me sparring the lads getting ready for fights has to help them too, so thats another way of looking at it..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

One serious question here I suppose. How many top fighters still coach?

I think it's next to impossible to be really good at both and reach your potential at both. IMO

For example as a fighter you have to be selfish with your time, when you have students they should come first.

As a competitor you need to focus on a small number of skills which you are really good at and disregard the rest. As a coach you can't do that.

E.G. I'm tall and long limbed so certain techniques suit me that won't suit others. I can't teach a class the techniques that only work for me or the shorter stockier built folks will have techniques not suited to them.

The best exmaple I can think of is Greg Jackson. What has he accomplished in the competitive game?

I also think this is partially what has happened to Wandy as well. When he was with Chute Boxe all he had to do was train. Now he has a hell of a lot of more worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭mmaireland.com

There's no doubt that both are full time jobs. It's simply impossible to be a great coach and a great fighter at the same time. It's all about the effort to time ratio and the subsequent results.

I've tried to "retire" as a fighter more than once and dedicate myself 100% to coaching. I love to coach. But, I'm a martial artist. If I'm not fighting for too long a time, I start to feel unchallenged as a martial artist and as a person - and I love to be challenged. There's no doubt that my guys suffer when I get into fight mode and that's why I do it rarely.

I have the benefit of being full time; so I can get some training in outside of coaching time but that means burning the candle both ends in terms of energy expenditure and lack of balanced recovery time. So, the reality is - every time I fight - everybody loses something. My students aren't getting what they deserve during that time, my fighters aren't getting my undivided attention during my fight camp and I'm not putting 100% into my fight. Everybody is getting a smaller piece of the cake than is required to achieve optimum results.

In the end though; I think my students have an element of respect for me precisely because they see that, in the end, I'm a fighter - and fighters fight.

I'm getting old now and I see myself having no more than 3 fights in my future. Then, I'll retire as a fighter and focus 100% on coaching. In the meantime, I can only thank my guys for working with me and letting me do what I have to do. We understand each other I believe. I've tried focusing 100% on coaching many times. Each time I do this; I see exponential growth in the skills of my guys. Whenever I fight; I see them plateau. For sure.

That said, I equally believe that our coaching and training methods when I'm on the ball as a coach (which is 80% of the time) are second to none. Why? In large part because I put myself to the test from time to time and remind myself what it is to be a fighter. I think it bonds us as a team.

On the one hand; they are willing to accept my 80% coaching to get coached by a guy that knows what it is to fight. On the other; I'm willing to accept that I never perform at my best as a fighter largely because I'm coaching 80% of the time. If everyone in this "pact" is happy with the arrangement in the short term - then it's all good.

Direct answer though; if you want to be great at ANYTHING then you have to give it 100% in terms of time and effort. So, if you're fighting - then it's simply not possible to give 100% as a coach.

So, to my guys that are letting me do what I have to do - thanks! 2011 isn't so far away and I'll be ready to give 100% to coaching. Until then, I'm pretty sure that my 80% isn't half bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I think it's a balance. I wouldn't describe myself as an active fighter anymore but if something tempting comes up I might bite. Ultimately there's a few things at play that the lads have alluded to already
    1) time- you only have one arse so it's very hard to ride 2 horses. Fighter and coach seem close but they're not. The mindset is miles apart.
    2) energy- coaching takes energy, so does training to fight.
    3) partners- great as your students might be, you may well be at a level beyond 90% of the guys you train, so there may not be anyone or very few guys to test you in training

The list goes on. In short, it's hard. On the very positive side, if you weren't willing to get in and do it, particularly if you're around fighting age (say 20s and early 30s) then I think it can be difficult for your students to follow you when you ask something of them. Knowing that you've been there before makes a big difference. Personally, I would never ask one of my guys to do something in training that I had never done; the hard yards so to speak.

I suppose would you train with a guy who'd never been hit, but tried to tell you how you should harden up when you're hit? It's a trade off, it's a young sport and all the coaches are still young guys. That'll all change soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

particularly if you're around fighting age (say 20s and early 30s) then I think it can be difficult for your students to follow you when you ask something of them.
    I think you meant to say...particularly if you're around fighting age (say 20s and early 40s)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Definately pulling the heart strings here!!! Serious tho great to have feedback on four great coaches on how they deal with it!!!!

I know coaches who have given up their personal ambitions to dedicate time to their students. Its such a hard choice but one that shouldnt be taken lightly. Look at Paul Cowzer - I mean fight of the nite on Cage Contenders Dublin (not to mention his epic war in the Elk on another occassion) what if he gave up coaching or fighting - MMA fans would lose out on the up and coming talents of Lee Metcalfe, John Redmond and young Luke Caffrey to mention a few, or if he gave up fighting no more jumpin on the edge of my seat!!!

It all seems to be a balancing act but there is successes out there with it look also at Emmet McNally, Rodney Moore to add more to the list of aforementioned coaches;)

Urs
    x
    I apologise for using you as an example Paul but needs must lol.

Advertisement