Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wishfull Thinking

• 19-10-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭

When you drink alcohol excessively you wake up with a hangover, which I'm lead to believe is mostly due to dehydration. I assume there is a direct amount of water lost in proportion to alcohol consumed. There must then be a certain alcohol percentage where the amount of water consumed is equal to the amount of water lost, does anyone know what this percentage is? If I was to drink this weaker alcoholic beverage faster, so I am still consuming the same of alcohol as with draught beer, would I get just as drunk but wake up with a much clearer head?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

HigsBoson wrote: »
    When you drink alcohol excessively you wake up with a hangover, which I'm lead to believe is mostly due to dehydration. I assume there is a direct amount of water lost in proportion to alcohol consumed. There must then be a certain alcohol percentage where the amount of water consumed is equal to the amount of water lost, does anyone know what this percentage is? If I was to drink this weaker alcoholic beverage faster, so I am still consuming the same of alcohol as with draught beer, would I get just as drunk but wake up with a much clearer head?

Isn't part of a hangover caused by ethanol being converted to methanol and that doing some reaction in your gut? (and hair of the dog "works" because ethanol will interrupt the methanol reaction). I could be wrong, I dont even drink :D.

(PS. Should have called the thread "Wishful Drinking":pac:.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The duty on low alcohol drinks is half that of normal ones so it should also be good for your pocket.

But I haven't seen any on sale in a pub.

One option is to get a pint of water every so often.
    A reduced rate of excise duty, at 50% of the full appropriate excise duty rate for beer and cider, will be introduced for low alcohol beer and cider (beer and cider products with an alcohol by volume content of 2.8% or less), with effect from midnight on 14 October 2008.

Advertisement